Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 4,561 through 4,575 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

There is something about their pleasure when we finish a project, isn’t there? Makes it so worth it!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

For ages now I’ve been wondering if my basic overlocker could do a kind of fake flatlock stitch. With the sewing machine off for repairs now seemed the perfect time to play.

I’ve just made a Field Trip raglan dress completely on the overlocker with exposed fluoro orange flatlocked seams. It’s kind of a fun look…

LINK
    katybellabug @katybellabug

I have read about doing a flatlock stitch on the overlocker. Glad you have managed to do it, can’t wait to see your dress.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Ooh, flatlock. I used an upside down coverstitch when I wanted flatlock, but my coverstitch machine skipped a lot of stitches, so I had to do some hand repairs.

Did you have to take the blade off, or does it swing out of the way somehow? And have you overlocked with it since?

I’ve got inspired about Audrey’s Summer wardrobe (size 3s so they will still fit for the Summer in DC). I’ve ordered some Riley Blake Red Riding Hood coordinating fabrics, but I’m starting with a red corduroy bib and brace pinny.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I used this tutorial from Go To Sew: http://gotosew.com/2013/11/guide-to-flatlocking-on-your-serger/

It’s quite ingenious how it happens. The knife is kept engaged and I trimmed off quite a bit as the seams end up wider than if they were sewn.

I set the dials and three threads for the raglan sleeves, then switched back to normal settings and four thread to do the side seams and neck and cuffbands. I made a wide folded bottom band and then went back to the three thread flatlock settings to attach the bottom band.

So yes, in and out of settings, but they’re not scary machines to fiddle with, and you can always write down the original best tensions in case you forget.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Interesting tutorial there Lightning. I have bookmarked it to refer to a bit later on – still hoping to do decent swimwear for the kids this summer.

I am starting to feel normal again and was hoping to sew today but didn’t get the chance. I am hoping to get back into it Thursday as tomorrow I have to collect a calico bear for a school project and the new appliances (the meat freezer has a melted seal and the dryer died long ago) provided of course the information session for high school orientation doesn’t go on forever!

I have a small basket of cut out baby things that I would really love to get into. I am hoping to start cranking them out in good number and pop some larger sized sewing in between for weekend sewing. That’s the plan anyhow but at the moment we are being forced into extreme flexibility mode. Its a case of do what you can when you can and try not to get frustrated if you can’t.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Tamara, I want to send you a Nanny for a week so you get to sew something!

I should be sewing up Liddy’s Art Museum ‘jeans’ next but Zara and Elsa have received an invite to the Football presentation dinner ( a huge honour at their age) and it is black tie so, of course, they need new dresses!

It’s in two weeks!

LINK
    katybellabug @katybellabug

Ooh Nicole, new dresses for the older girls… sounds exciting. Do you/they have anything in mind?

I am not finished yet but am a sleeve, side seams and hems away from completing a Negroni shirt for Jay. So thrilled to be finally sewing him something other than pj’s. It looks good so far!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

That flatlock tutorial is very interesting. I was surprised it says industrial flatlock seams cut and line up the edges – when I worked in children’s wear we only ever used flatlock as a decorative trim over seams that were already done. I never knew they cut! Learn something new every day etc…

Fingers crossed you get to do some sewing soon, Tamara.

How exciting Nicole! I can’t wait to hear what you have planned. What a tight deadline with a new bub though. Hopefully they choose simple dresses. It sounds like you need a nanny for a week too!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I suspect Nicole will make them work for their dresses 🙂 How exciting for both of them!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Today’s aim flew out the window. I chose to spend extra time in doing maths with the year threes before bringing the boy home. It means that if I get my act together I can trace the bodice piece onto the fabric cut the square out, select the threads and sit there stitching bullion roses while we attempt to watch “the day the crayons quit” and write a letter pretending to be a crayon.

I will grab the chance for prep work now while the typing tutor is being utilised.

Then I will be allowed to shout from the hills that I actually sewed something today!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Hehehe I hope you achieved your aim Tamara!

I’ve been working on transferring some Red Riding Hood embroidery for the red pinny. Hoping to get my first lot of fabric today so I can choose thread colours.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Nah! Who was I jolly well kidding??

Spotlight and awful reversing at Harvey Norman today to collect the new freezer and drier – all hopefully that will let me go home by lunchtime! Then because I was awake at about 4am (thanks to dh talking to me because HE couldn’t sleep) I hope to squeeze some restful time in before I have to sit up and assist a child in arranging where the info will go on this calico bear – honestly if she expects more than that I am going on strike! I just HATE leaving things to the very last minute!!

Maybe then because hubby is heading off to a ram sale tomorrow (Challara – just google it) I can have a break from this busy life and indulge in some me time. Because Saturday it has been discovered that we “need” to go to the Chapman Valley show!! Oh boy!

So you see I basically need the nanny to do the sewing for me!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

I hope the calico bear went well! Can we all have nannies? 😀

My fabric arrived, but the colour of the aqua in the print was nothing like what I thought, so I had to make an emergency trip to Lincraft to get a different contrast fabric to put the embroidery on (red pinny with contrast aqua pockets and hopefully matching aqua ric rac on the hem to tie it all together). Fabric washed last night, so I can start transferring the embroidery again today.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Don’t you just hate it when the fabric you order turns out to be just wrong for the project?! The calico bear now has writing all over it and a sticky taped picture of the subject on its tummy. Personally I would have added a bit of colour but then it is not MY project! I have the very great urge to “add to it” but have to stop myself. It isn’t taking over it is just the need to present it in a better way – a fault and an asset I guess.

Anyway, I plan to sew all day today after dropping the children to school. But of course I will be on standby just in case I have to collect anyone early – until this is all sorted out and school is finally on the same page I have to step in quite a bit more than usual.

So today I plan to get started on the five baby things that are already cut out and I will edge and wash the fabric I bought yesterday in order to prep that for an outfit for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,561 through 4,575 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.