Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Did some re-sewing last night: had to take off the bias on the puppet shorts as I discovered one should NOT cut the seams on linen back to 1/4 inch to reduce bulk under the bias as advised in pattern – had complete seam slippage and in some places the bias was coming off. At least this allowed me to shorten the bias and get some lovely gathers on the shorts at last!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have just cut out a Play Date dress for Little One in the Candy Store pink Corner Florist ( City Weekend ), it is so soft and floaty! I omitted the piping around the yoke as I could not cut bias strips out of my Market Green Round About Dots, I tried! I pinned the pattern piece on ! But to cut that piece out of the middle of my fabric, was not going to happen!

I consoled myself that it looks very pretty without the piping!

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Isn’t bias horrid for cutting right into the heart of a piece of fabric!!!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Cutting bias always makes me feel a bit sick! That’s why I sometimes use ready made bias (my fav shop does sell some lovely all-cotton ones!)

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I think the dress look fine either way Nicole. Can’t wait to see!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thanks Mel! I cut out the Hopscotch skirt for Twin 2 hoping that would give me a remnant , but it cut in almost a perfect square! I did get a little piece to use as the hem facing for the Play Date, though.

Just feeding Little One off to sleep and then I will go start her dress, woo hoo!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I don’t cut into the heart of my fabric to make bias cuts- I can’t stand it either. I found a website that has a tutorial on how to make yards and yards of continuous bias tape, and I’ve used that method for quite some time now, and I have never felt bad about “wasting” fabric again.

http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting/CBT/

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

O JohannaO , as someone recently said to me ,I now have a non-intimate , sewing lady crush on you! This is fantastic , as I love binding and piping! Thankyou so much!

3/4’s of the way through Little Ones Play Date dress , so cute AND a lot quicker to construct without the piping!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I’m flattered! But the geeky-ness of the bias explanation really appealed to me, and it is now the justification to getting bolt ends from the 1/2 price bins. (i.e. I can make five yards of bias tape from this fat quarter! This is so much cheaper than buying the commercial stuff.) It came in handy this summer when my mom made a wonderful heirloom quilt that she hand pieced and quilted, and then she was going to buy commercial binding. I couldn’t take it. There had to be a better option. Google to the rescue!

LINK
    Anonymous @

I don’t want to be the negative naysayer, but you still have to cut into the heart of the fabric if you don’t want to have lots and lots of seams in your bias tape.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Chugging along with 3 School Photo dresses, making a 10, a 6 and a 12-18 mnths. They are not needed in a hurry so I am enjoying the process and this is not a pattern to rush.

I am making them all in City Weekend, which adds to the enjoyment!

LINK
    Anonymous @

I keep feeling intimidated by the school photo dress because it is fully lined. I know that’s probably silly. Tell me it’s no big deal!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Tell me too!!! When I realised that, I nearly crossed it off my ‘want’ list. I’ve now got this pattern in both sizes but don’t think I’ll attempt for a while!

As for what I’ve been sewing – I’ve just made 2 (non-O+S – shhhhh….) dresses – they were fun though!

Sailboat pants tomorrow (I cut them out 2 weeks ago and they are still sitting there)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It is so not a big deal! It is simply one step at a time, the zipper instructions are brilliant and it is just step after step after step … and it is done!

I neaten all the edges before I start and then STICK to the pattern , the lining is very simple, I make mine from cotton/poly poplin so there is little slipping.

If you made the School Days coat Sandi , no problem with this!

I have taken lots of photos of the construction.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Oh yes Sandi – that’s true!! You’re school days coats are wonderful – and they’re lined!

I will make these dresses Nicole, I promise! (but still not for a while – my girls need more clothes like they need a hole in the head!)

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.