Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,356 through 2,370 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Meleiza, I’d love to see some photos of your Washis! I saw a flowered one and a denim one (which I love and may copy if my muslin works out; I have some stretchy denim that I think would be so nice for a fall dress) – but if I understand correctly you have a bunch more?

I almost have my Washi pattern taped together. In the meantime I’m sewing a tote bag for the pool out of a lovely bright yellow and white IKEA printed canvas I bought on a whim a couple years ago. Needs to be big enough for four towels, diapers and changes of clothing for the kidlets.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

My brand new serger arrived yesterday. It is a basic brother 1034. I had never even touched one before, so I threaded it and played around. I figure one learns by doing so I whipped up a little 3t t-shirt for a little boy i know.

Sergers are fun, but I find the knife a little intimidating. I’m afraid I will accidentally cut too much. I will be making lots of knit things while I put it through its paces.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Maggie there should be etched markers on the side and that indicates measurements – 1/4, 1/2 etc. they are fun to use and they change your sewing somehow to a more professional look too. You should have lots of fun experimenting and making good use of what will be one of your staples in the sewing area.

Meleliza happy birthday (is it your birthday am I too late?) AMH voile sounds divine. I have been eyeing her prints off for what seems like ages now but haven’t been brave enough to jump right in and just get some.

Cant wait to see the Washi dress made up in this fabric.

I haven’t switched gears back to my Oliver and s patterns lately. I have been madly trying to finish this quilt so that I can get on with other things. Unfortunately, I was starting off the borders and doing this dinky little design which I absolutely love because it is such a textural contrast to the other on the blocks and I needed to fill the bobbins again. Well I noticed upon slipping the quilt under the machine again that the backing fabric corners had slipped up and tucked themselves underneath my stitching at two corners. So today I have to unpick those two corners and redo the stitching before sewing the binding strips on. It isn’t a lot but it is such a shame because I just want this project done and unpicking takes time because you have to knot and hide the threads before you can correct the mistake with the stitching. Oh well. I could safely say that I can sit and do some hand stitching at piano lessons on Tuesday and not be bored – I have a quilt to bind after all.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have come to a halt on my Finch set for Liddy. I appear to have lost a back waistband piece and the linen needed to cut a new one is high up in the box room.

Hugo is away working, Jed is on the tractor all hours so it will have to wait.

I really don’t like starting a new project as I used to have so many UFO’s and I do not want to slip back to that practice.

I am drafting the Wren dress pattern but dreaming of Secret Agent coats.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

roundtheworldgirl, I suspect the denim one you saw was mine. 😉

I had been trying to finish one project competely before moving on to another, but lately it’s been all about ideas. What has been working for me is lots of things at once. If I have some hand finishing ready, I can take it to the park while the children play and if I get sick of sitting at the machine, I can trace/cut the next thing. I don’t want to make a habit of this and end up with lots of UFO’s, but at the moment I want to really crank out some summer clothes and this approach seems to be working.

What I really want is my washing machine fixed so I can wash the lining fabric I just got in the mail. I’ve been almost a week without a washer and it’s getting scary around here. I’ve already taken a few loads to the wash and fold, but that’s really not ideal.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

No washing machine? Stuff of nightmares.

I still have my old twin tub from my flatting days so I set that up on the verandah when my front loader has apoplexy.

Then I can wash to the baa’s of sheep…..and put up with thousands of flies.

I am sorry if I seemed rude. A case of the ex smoker syndrome. I am terrified of getting bogged down again in unfinished sewing.

xx Nicole

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Yes, Meleliza, the denim one I saw was yours. I love it!

Maggie, I have the Brother 1034D and I like it a lot. I have sliced inadvertent holes in my sewing with the knife. Then, as an unintended punishment, I accidentally serged over a pin and broke the upper knife right in half. So don’t do that! Now I am much more careful.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have pinned my next pair of cargos just waiting to be cut out. In bright yellow pinwhale cord.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It’s getting to be a nightmare. At first it was funny how much I could get done without doing all that laundry! I took the kids stuff to the wash and fold around the corner a few times, which is what city people do, but the novelty has worn off. One night I had to wash a uniform in the tub so oldest could be ready for school and I don’t trust those guys with my things. The appliance guy said it wasn’t a big deal and could be fixed by the end of the week for less than the cost of a new machine. Here it is Friday and no appointment scheduled yet! Don’t they know I’m like 12 loads of laundry behind, down to my last pair of clean underwear and most importantly – I’ve got fabric to wash and iron! 🙂

Thanks, round the world girl! It’s really comfy too and easy to wear. I love how a dress can be comfy and smart at the same time. Those Donna Reeds of yesteryear had it right.

LINK

Off to do the dishes and then cut out the yellow cargos!

No washing machine! And fabric to wash (oh yes clothes too) so you can play!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I washed my fabric in the tub and ran it through spin. (it’s a hose valve that’s broken, so I can use the spin without a flood.) and the drier works, so now I just have to iron. 🙂 I mean, I can’t let a broken washing machine mess up my weekend sewing plans. 🙂

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I am working on my first, and probably my last quilt. I am doing a simple chevron pattern and I am not really enjoying. But I am determined to finish it. And since my daughter’s summer wardrobe is HUGE (much of last year’s stuff still fits) I don’t have much sewing to do. Not that normally stops us, but I want her to get good wear out of what I make.

LINK

l not only cut out the cargos yesterday but also began sewing them. Then I made 7 blindfolds in half an hour before we went to Youth group. Yay for using scraps.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Cybele I feel the same way about quilts but I promised all our five children that I would make them one this year. Right now I keep telling my mom how wonderful would it be if she made them quilts for Christmas, that I have some fabric to get her started. ; )

Right now I am sewing a watermelon dress that was *gasp* ordered by my sister-in-law’s sister for her new grand-daughter. What I can’t believe is that she even wants to pay me. I am using a sun dress pattern from Michie’ but I had to resize it down to newborn size for the 3-6m size. I have the dress done now today to finish up the bloomers, bonnet and hair bow. I just love wee little dresses! It makes me miss Sarah being a baby.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh I adore those wee little dresses. Sigh… Although my 3.5 is sized like a 2.0. So I am not that far off. I am determined to finish this thing, because after the effort and expense, I just can’t let it become a UFO. The hubby and I sat down and we talked about my problems with finishing it and he helped me plan out the rest. LOL Poor guy. He will do anything to get me to clean up the dining room!

Viewing 15 posts - 2,356 through 2,370 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.