Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,341 through 2,355 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have been thinking of what to do for this year’s ag show exhibits and have come up with a totally awesome creative version of the School photo dress. It wasn’t really the first pattern I had in mind but this idea just sprung into my head and I absolutely have to go with it. Crazy I know! Just got to sort out fabrics and things then rediscover my Oliver and s sewing mojo!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Is that the cow themed thing, Tamara? I can’t wait to see. I’m going to try and channel some of your mojo. I can’t seem to really get moving on things the way I like, even though I’m constantly planning.

Maggie, good work! it’s wonderful when projects work out so well.

I have been granted some sewing time this afternoon by hubby and I’ve nearly finished a roller skate dress for Kitty – and for Kitty’s doll! I’m using up scraps from a summer dress I made myself last year. The fabric is too lovely to go to waste and she is quickly growing out of sizes that only require small cuts. I also cut out a dress from the precious and long OOP Heather Ross frogs. I’m using the bodice from Music Box but just cutting a dirndl skirt from the full width of the fabric to make best use of my scant yard. I may add a touch of piping and I won’t use buttons down the back so I don’t wast fabric on a placket. I guess my mojo is slowly I returning. 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Actually, it was to do with another category – think garden trellis against a wall or lattice fencing. I am going to experiment first to see if I like the look on that pattern but it seems perfect as the bodice can be such a feature.

The cow theme, I am still thinking on but again, another idea has just popped into my head again concerning the school photo dress.

Oh the ideas are flooding my head now!

I better go finish this quilt before I drop everything and start on another project.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Now back to the message as I had to cut it short…. Kitty and her dolly must be the best dressed pair in your neighbourhood Meleliza! And the frog dress! Sigh! I am wishing for another little girl to fulfil my creative need to sew pretty dresses again! Have you seem the new Heather Ross range due to be released soon? Truly gorgeous. My problem is that I collect fabric and I have noticed I have very little solids in my stash. But there are so many pretty colours available. I think I have to for every print purchase a solid to at least go with it in order to bring some variety (if you could call it that) into the sewing supply.

Ok, things to do then onto completing this quilt and THEN experimenting with crazy different techniques.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Thanks everyone. The intervening days have been much better, thanks to my incredible husband, who has given me several hours of me-time.

Maggie, that is awesome. I’ve only made a few things for myself, with varying degrees of success (none of which qualify as “smashing”).

I am actually planning a Washi dress for myself, though, as I’ve been asked to sing the national anthem for a big expat July 4 (U.S. Independence Day) to-do, and I have nothing to wear. I currently have a lovely navy cotton dobby in my cart at Fabric.com, but am trying to figure out what to use for lining, as it is a bit sheer.

But I digress. I finished the Seashore dress and oldest daughter is currently wearing it (yes!) though it was not her first choice for church this morning. Now I’m working on a Bubble for second daughter. I got stuck on turning the bodice right-sides-out because my bottom back plackets weren’t turning. I Googled “five and counting bubble dress,” hoping that Nicole had done a tutorial. As luck would have it, she had, and had identified the missing step that allowed me to clip and turn. Thanks a bunch!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

So glad the seashore dress is a hit Roundtheworldgirl. The bubble dress is so cute (even though I haven’t made it)

I have discovered a disappointment! After all this time working on this quilt intending it for the bed, it is alas… TOO SMALL! Oh well I have out to sea fabric and a beautiful easy and simple design picked for the beds in the right size this time!!

These can be for extra warmth and cuddling in front of the telly instead (and fmq practise) I was going to do some throws too but there is no huge need now. That’s ok as it means I can leisure sew and not feel an ounce of guilt. It also means a super simple quilting design is in order for Noah’s quilt to limit on the fussing around and consumption of time.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Oh no about the quilt – but now you have an excuse to make another!

Also I think I just activated the spammer control. It would not let me post again so soon after my last one, so I got a screen that said “Slow down, you move too fast.” 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes I get that from tiime to time also. I just go out and come back in – not log off though but go back a few steps.

I went and measured the beds this time just to make sure and have ordered some backing fabric to what will be on Noah’s bed. The pattern will be fine and I could give it more room by making it wider with a border if need be. I also figured that I ordered way too much fabric for our bed quilt but like we say, better too much than too little because you have to measure twice and cut only the once.

I have broken two needles just today trying to finish the quilt. Hopefully I will have a smooth run until completion. Only two full blocks, two half blocks, one corner block and the borders to go.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have finished my Portfolio and Elsa’s coat.

On to sewing a CC outfit I cut for Liddy for last Summer.

The way she is growing it won’t fit if I don’t make it now!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Finished the bubble – and man, was that a fun sew! I need to make a few more before my girls outgrow the pattern.

Next order of business is to print out Washi and make a bodice muslin. I ordered fabric last night for the dress. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Well done rthewgirl! Very encouraging for moi re. bubble – have two pieces of fabric for that one- inc. a dear piece of fine white with little strawberries on it!! I was checking the O+S shop last night and the Roxanne dress looks gorgeous. I have a piece of fine viella from my mother’s belongings that I’d love to make up. I was thinking of you for that one given your Gala (often referred to as ‘Galah’ in Oz) Appearance.

Nicole, I had a proper look at the “COAT” today; so smart!!! I hope you are very proud of yourself. Your girl looks so elegant; just hope she’ll be warm enough – but as my grandmother used to say, “pride feels no pinch”. J, breaking needles means you are working/trying too hard – I can so relate to that, but glad you can rescue the not big enuf situation. That’s the difference btwn quilting and sewing, isn’t it? You can always add another border.

Found some “just right” buttons for tabs on Music Box today, and the reassuring news that the Owl/Stripe Ice Cream Dress still fits Miss 3, so I can go ahead and make another in very pink corduroy/floral cord for this winter.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, Tamara, I have seen the New Heather Ross! I think I actually plan to get into knits, just because of her. I simply can’t resist a strawberry print. I do wish she was back in the double gauze or voile or something. I find some of her designs great for grown ups too, but quilting cotton has limited options. Still, it’s very sweet, so I’m sure I’ll get some.

Back when I only had boys, I would sew for the little girl next door. In fact, I’ve been neglecting her, so I’ve recently started on a very special summer dress for her. She’s so excited about it that she’s going to plan her entire birthday party around the dress. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, I’ve got my mojo back! This weekend, I was granted two whole afternoons of sewing time, I didnt worry about finishing one thing at a time, just worked on what I felt like. So I might trace one project, cut another, sew up another. At the end of the day we have a matching baby and doll roller skate dress as well as my 1 yard frog dress. Both need the finishing hand sewing and there’s a small chance baby doll will get a frog dress too. Today I’m tracing off the next size up of roller skate dress because my tiny girl is already measuring size 4!!!!! I’m going to week out a top with the half yard of HR snails. I’m not sewing for me just now as I have to get back on the wagon after weeks of mothers day/birthday/anniversary eating. 🙁

Roundtheworldgirl, Washi is the best dress ever. Seriously. I have already made like 6 and have plans for at least 2 more for the summer. Just waiting on some lining fabric to arrive. I like cotton voile for the summer, though it can be a bit sticky. If your dobby is lightweight, you could use that for the lining too.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

All I can think of when I see the the word “Galah”, needlewowam, are the pink and grey cockies (cockatoos)! 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Trying / working too hard my foot! They were the wrong needles is what it was. I used the Janome blu tips because I ran out of the other ones I was using. I have since found some Klasse universal 80/12’s and they are doing the trick nicely. I only accomplished 3/4 of a block yesterday but then it was a long weekend and we are still putting the crop in so interruptions are expected at this time of the year. One full, one corner, one half and a bit of a half block to go before the borders can be done.

I have worked out the fabric amounts already in my stash to successfully get on with one quilt that is the proper size this time and the other I have ordered extra to finish the whole lot but I think I can start on the piecing but wont until it is all in. I prefer it that way just in case I mess up.

After this quilt though I am going to baste Noah’s (like I keep saying) but I think I will take a fmq break for a week or so and get on with another PHD before returning to the quilt. It is one of these things where you have to force yourself to take a break and harness the creative thoughts running (or should I say galloping) around the brain matter and either make them or put them on paper and prepare to make them.

One thing is for sure though, I don’t have to drop everything and make a Batman costume for this speech comp because firstly the speech isn’t written and secondly the girl is on her fifth bout of the flu in as many weeks! So no Batman costume making for me and I am truly ok with that!

What I do have to do is some alterations for a little miss skinny minnie down the road who has to fit a size 6 school skirt that falls about her knees because she is really a 4 in size. That wont take long and it is handy to do favours for neighbours – you never know when they could reciprocate. Then I may have to bit the bullet and make some Sketchbook trousers for Noah for school as the new pants are no longer suitable (the “e” word has passed the lips of my kids several times during a conversation regarding uniforms) and the new trousers I have ordered are taking a month of Sundays and longer! So this is the task for the week after I have this quilt finished. Tired just thinking about it.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Off to our last playgroup of the year today. Baby girl is wearing yet another roller skate dress that she chose over the frogs. It’s a pink cotton voile I bought at Mood last spring and made up for myself last summer. The fabric was too nice to let the scraps go to waste. Last night, I put buttonholes in the frog dress and wasn’t paying enough attention. I forgot to put some fumble interfacing behind my buttonholes. In double gauze. Which ravers like crazy. Sugar! I put lots of fray check on them and can only hope it will hold up.

I cut a linen skirt for myself and a pair of linen puppet show shorts from those scraps. Apparantly, I’m on a mission to really use up my fabric scraps.

A birthday present arrived yesterday – 4 lovely yards of Anna Maria voile that I plan for a fall Maxi dress. Probably Washi ( what else?) with short sleeves. Maybe a V neck. And a huge pile of plain voile for lining, so I can get on with that summer dress for me. If they fix my washing machine, that is.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,341 through 2,355 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.