Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,086 through 2,100 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Were you acting the story aswell as reading it? You must be a very engaging story teller to throw the back out? Poor you though! Not fun.

I need an abbreviation dictionary or something!

Just hand sewing the neckline and arm bindings to the tunics as intended last night – thankfully we get a five day break from school so there will be no need for school related exhaustion for the next few nights, which means more sewing time for me! Yay!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I am the queen of klutzy odd injuries. Tore a thumb tendon doing needlepoint. Got a bunch of other weird injuries from weird things. Right now fighting the headaches and coveting the beautiful pictures in Flickr.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Doing needlepoint? Lol. After I got them in bed, I washed down some Advil with a glass of wine and then had a really hot bath. I’m sure I’ll feel better tomorrow. I wasn’t acting it out, either. We were reading the famous five. I suppose it was the suspense. 🙂

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Finally starting to sew the green field trip cargo’s I cut out a couple of weeks ago. I’m having a go using work’s Husquva Emerald, which so far (from what I’ve sewn at work), I do not like the machine! But it was the recommend model (and cheap) for being the closest strength wise (in the price range) to my 1970’s Elna, so since I have access to one (well 3!) I’m trying to give it a good go before I really decide I don’t like it.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yay! Finally finished the Pinwheels and now onto cutting out a sketchbook shirt or two to sew at least one of them tonight! A last minute haste for Easter attire.

LINK

Looking forward to seeing those pinwheels! The cargo’s are coming along nicely and I made double knees!

I gave up on the husquvana and went back to my Elna, it might be noisy at the moment, but I can see the work area sooo much better. (I have given the Emerald a much longer go than this, in fact I’ve been sewing with it on and off for a couple of years)

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

When I was looking at upgrading (before I got my current machine) I looked at the husquvana and didn’t like them one bit, so I don’t blame you one bit for swapping to the elna. After all, they are made under the same umbrella as Janome now anyhow.

I just have to clear a space to hide the debris on the sewing table in order to get to the hook and take a photo of the dresses. Miss 10 tried them both on and decided she like the Kate spain well enough to want to stay in it for the rest of the day. I made her change when she announced she was cooking! So I will give them a press and hang them to take photos and then do some modelled shots over the weekend. It fits beautifully and I am so glad I lengthened it but really could have lengthen further as it is still short on her long legs. Probably is at the right length though judging from the photos I have seen already.

I am now cutting out the sketchbook for N to wear tomorrow and being already 9pm, it means I will be making a long night of it. I will get the bulk done tonight and then do the hand stitching and buttonholes in the morning. The bring and share part of the day will be down to missy moo who decided to make sausage rolls her way so she has also volunteered to “cater” tomorrow also. That leaves time for me to sew!

After this shirt, I will do the dress part of the celestial pinwheel, depending of course on how late I am up tonight!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It’s 1am Friday morning and I have just completed the sketchbook shirt for N up to the collar and buttons that need sewing on! Off to catch some dreams.

LINK
    sidewalkgoddess @sidewalkgoddess

I never threw my back out or had a concussion, but I dislocated a rib playing ring around the rosy. It was a nice, quick fix, but it hurt so very bad!

I hear you on the shapeless child thing, but what inspires/motivates me to sew for myself is that my body is so terrible that I can never find anything off the rack that fits. I also hate synthetics. Even high end places (sigh, Anthropologie) have gorgeous wool/cotton/silk pieces with synthetic linings. So I would pay massive amounts for cute clothes, massive amounts to take them in, still itch because of the yucky against me, AND it wouldn’t be as cute as the confections I have in my head? Add in that I actually love sewing, and for me, it’s a no brainer.

I am so jealous of those who can buy things off the rack, but when I do I have a pool of fabric above my bum, enough space up top to fit a second set of breasts, billows at the waist… Not a good look for me lol

ETA: Also, when I grow up I want to be as fast as you all… I still have a set of tea party bloomers to finish before I get to move on…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Fast?

I have never had such a slow week of sewing. We killed a beast and I have been cooking up all the ‘slow’ meat to clean out the freezer. Not too much time to entertain the muse.

I made myself finish Hugo’s shirt last night-denim for work. It is a bit big but that shouldn’t be a problem for long on a 15 year old boy.

Now I am sewing a blazer for Zara,the same I made for Elsa.

Next a rugby for Jed.

I really need an O+S fix….

Hugs and kisses and heat packs to our injured.

Concussion is not fun and you can’t rush its recovery. Please be kind to your self.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I guess it may seem fast! But I have to justify the fact that a lot of the time we are sewing patterns we have sewn many times before so we become more proficient at the steps and sequence and hence can get along faster than say the first time we used the pattern.

Yes I am awake – no rest for the wicked and even less for the righteous they say! I have a collar to sew down and button to sew on and this boy can wear his “cross” shirt to church this morning.

If I have the energy this afternoon, I will cut out more sketchbooks, seeing as I have the pattern on the table and then maybe later in the break I can do some field trip pants.

LINK

Justsewit hope all the buttons get sewn on! My Elna is not a new Janome Elna it’s a 1970’s Elna! And when it’s working it sews through everything (even 10 layers of heavy denim in the penguin backpack) and dose lovely stitching, when it’s behaving. Sidewalk it just looks fast, my field trip cargoes have been sitting cut out for 3 weeks while disruptions to life happened around them! But I will admit when I sew I usually put in 6 hours or so a day over 2-4 days straight. I can get quite a bit done as you can imagine.

I’m up to putting on the cargo pockets, wow the 12 looks so long!

LINK

I have a silly question… I hope you don’t mind if I ask here…

If I pretreat my fabric, press it well, and line up the set edges, do I really need to make the cut edges thread perfect? Do I need to pull a thread and cut a nice line? I mean, I understand why you are “supposed to”, but how necessary is it? I can tell if it is on grain when I line up my selvedges… Do you guys pull threads and even out the cut edges every time? Because omitting this would make me so happy!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I never do,wow,am I amazingly slack?

LINK

That was just what all my books say (the ones on garment sewing anyway)

I am so happy! I will never do it again!

Viewing 15 posts - 2,086 through 2,100 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.