Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,101 through 2,115 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I feel so norty…

(Not really)

xx Nicole

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve nerve done it. I work on making sure the fold is flat and straight, this sometimes means the selveges and top aren’t exact but since its only going to be cut off why worry. I am impressed if you’ve been able to find that one thread to pull because every time I’ve read to do it (in my old books) I’ve thought “how can you even find just one thread to pull?”

LINK
    sidewalkgoddess @sidewalkgoddess

I have good eyes and pointy tweezers?

But I hate it. Never again!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I hope your head feels much better soon!

I almost done with the smocking for Sweet pea’s Fairy tale dress. This part has taken me forever but I am very excited to see this dress done! My eyes hurt and my neck is killing me now so they are just as happy for me to be done with the smocking too. ; ) J’s schooling just might just have to wait until this dress is finished tomorrow.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m picturing Nicole’s family dining on roast beast, just like the whos in Whoville. Lol.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Sidewalk, I once did a sewing project with my grandma who was taught by own mum, a tailoress and I remember we took forever lining up the straight of grain and then trimming the cut edges even. I admit though it is the only time I have ever done it, and she was teaching me what a professional taught her!

The way I see it is that if you are doing a garment for a competition, then by all means do it the proper way but if you are just home sewing, make sure your selvage seams are just so, so the fold doesn’t crinkle and you’ll be ok.

Heidi the buttons went on well and the shirt looked so smart on him, I am thinking of buying some more of that fabric and making one for Murray too! N was compliant enough to let me take photos but miss 10 was cross with me because I confiscated her favourite thing for not acting appropriately in church and refused to let me take a photo as my “consequence”. I still did without her realising and it looks so pretty on her.

While she has taken control of the kitchen (yet again),mI will take my chance and upload some photos then cut out the sketchbook shirt I had intended to do alongside last night’s one. I might have time to cut a pair of field trips out also.

I find the field trip pants took quite a while to put together because of the top stitching but they are so great once finished one cant help but want to make more.

I was wondering if you had finished the smocking on that dress yet Sharon. glad you have finally come up for air. some designs look straight forward but take a lot longer than you realise but I really cant wait to see this dress. It will be amazing I am sure!

LINK

They do take a while but it’s such cathartic sewing and with the equivalent of all the beautiful fussy bits on a girls dress but for a boy! [or a girl, I have pink plans 🙂 ]

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Just uploaded a heap of Easter sewing photos and just realised from your comment I have t taken photos of the two pairs of field trip pants (including pink ones) that I have made already! Bad me! Will have to sneak the camera in when they aren’t looking to take some shot of them I guess.

I have decided the sketchbook shirt and other intended cutting out can wait for Sunday. I am too tired today and that is after a four hour kip! That is what late nights do, think I am getting old!

LINK

I’m good at taking the photos but shocking at getting them into flicker and the group!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Sidewalkgoddess, I hadn’t even realised how naughty I was. Never “pulled a thread” and never knew I was meant to. That’s what comes of never having read a book or had a sewing lesson. I’ll even confess that I can’t be stuffed ironing my fabric before I cut. Dry it on the line and smooth it out, that’ll do for me. Maybe that’s why I’m sewing more and more with knits…..

LINK

Just finished my green cargo’s, they look great! And I added elastic to some yellow seersucker puppet show shorts I made back in Jan. Now, what to sew next, since I have all weekend to sew?

LINK

The answer to the question was . . . not to sew! Instead I cleaned up my sewing corner (1/4 of the living space, my husband will be pleased), worked out why the sewing machine I bought at the tip shop (like a thrift shop but at the tip, whats the american version of the tip?), and sewed bias binding on an old cut up towel to made a hand towel (this project only took like 3 years!), so I did sew.

The sewing machine is missing the tension thingy on the bobbin case, so I’ll go to the tip shop and see if I can find one. I bought the machine for $10 for the ruffler (rather than paying $100) and it has been sitting around waiting to go back (while I keep the ruffler). But after sewing on a front loading machine for 6m while mine was out of action I could work out what was wrong. If I can make this one work I might be able to save for an embroidery machine or something!

Tomorrow, onto the red and black pettiskirt I found during the clean up.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Clean ups are good for resurfacing forgotten projects aren’t they? I managed to have a complaint child model photos today so have just put them up of her wearing the other Pinwheel. I wont do any sewing tonight. I am just too knackered! Been out all day and I require a good nights sleep!

I will endeavour though tomorrow to get into the sewing nook and do something, whether it be clean it up and making space for the next project and cleaning the machines and changing needles etc, or just diving in to cut out more sketchbooks like I have saying for the past few days.

One thing I didn’t do was take a photo of the denim field trip trousers N was wearing today. I have vowed not to use topstitching thread again because it is horrible to secure well! My machine throws a wobbly when I try to do an auto knot and it seems my attempts at hand knotting all work themselves undone in the wash. So it is double thread method for me from now on. They look so good on him, must take a photo!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Is the tip where the rubbish goes? That’s the dump. Just like we have dump trucks but you have tipper lorries. (or at least that’s what they have in England.) I’ve never heard of a shop at the dump, but then I’ve never actually been to the dump. For all I know, they do have a store.

I have thrown my Easter dress in the trash (aka rubbish) but K’s is ready to go. I wish there was a way to tell much earlier in the process when a pattern would be a waste of time. I think I will stay away from indie designers altogether. While I love the concept of supporting small business, I can’t afford to lose hours of my very precious sewing time to anger and frustration.

On the up side, I finished the muslin of the Lisette Attache dress and took a few pics of the fitting process. It is a highly flattering little dress. Fitting it nicely required minimal effort. I imagine it will look nice in many different fabrics. I was planning to sew it up first in an chambray-like shirting, but I may skip right to the Liberty.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Tip/ dump – I alternate! It is like referring to lunch as dinner (I say lunch, hubby says dinner. to me dinner is the evening meal). As for tip shops, they have them in the more urban areas but out here it is a DIY shopping experience, if get the meaning.

Didn’t have much sleep overnight thanks to a dog who likes to bark at shadows and so, I am taking the time to catch up on a few jobs and I plan to head out to the nook and tidy it up a bit so that I can get going on the next items on a cleaned up and clear cutting table.

The Easter bunny has come but asking him to fill a little tiny paper basket was a bit much so the crate of eggs is sitting with the basket on top! Hope I don’t have exclamations of EB being false with that presentation – just because Santa forgot a gift!

The attaché dress sounds lovely Meleliza. I think it is a style that will flatter all shapes – can’t wait to give it a go.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,101 through 2,115 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.