Oliver + S

Cooking and Baking

What's for Tea Today, Mum? A cooking thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am part of another forum where we share our meal plans, recipes and links to recipes.

We have discovered some great new meals and foods.

Is anyone interested?

I am bit pushed for time today so I made this
    For tea.

Salmon mornay

Brown 3 big onions. 3tspn of garlic paste and 2 tblspn sweet chilli sauce.
    Add to a roux of 2 tbspn butter and plain flour and 3 cups milk.

Stir through 2 tspn good powdered chicken stock, 2 400gr tins pink salmon, 2 tins sweet corn, 2 tins peas, 3 cups of cooked rice, 1/2 tasty cheese and 1 cup of left over ricotta pepper to taste.

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and tasty cheese and dot with butter and bake in a 180 oven for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

Serve with green salad and lemon juice.

Nursery nourishment but nice!

What are you having for tea?

• This topic was modified 9 years ago by Sarvi. Reason: Edited to add 'cooking' to thread title
    LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Sounds so delicious Nicole! I will a try at this

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I’m making pizza dough this morning. I use a Chez Panisse recipe: http://spiceraconteurs.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/alice-waters-pizza-dough/. You need to start the dough 4 hrs before cooking, but it doesn’t involve much actual work. I love pizza for using up bits & bobs in the fridge, especially if there’s some goat cheese in there. I cook up 4 pizzas and freeze whatever we don’t eat, they heat up well in the toaster oven for lunches.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yum yum! Mornay today, pizza tomorrow, I love it.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I made fried rice. I cooked some baby carrots and chopped them up. Threw them in a fry pan with deep sides, with peas and some scallions and some canola oil. I took 4 cups cooked, leftover white rice, nice and cold. Threw that in. Took a left over pork chop, cut into small pieces, and mixed with some BBQ sauce. As it was heating up, I threw in 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup sesame oil. As it was almost done, I cracked 3 eggs and scrambled them into the rice.

It was pretty yummy, especially for rice and pork left overs!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yum, pinning that pizza recipe, thank you!

Love fried rice, what are scallions? Fish?

Our bee keeper just dropped off 25 litres of sweet mild lucerne honey. So I am marinading some chicken drumsticks.

For 16 drumsticks.

1 cup soy sauce (salt reduced is best)

1/2 cup honey

3 tspn of minced garlic

1 tspn minced ginger

mix well (I set the jug in a bowl of hot water to help the honey melt) and pour over chicken.

Marinate in the fridge for two hours, turning the container every half hour.

Bake in oven at 200 d c, for 40 minutes, turning occasionally.

I have made a garden salad to have with it.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Green onions! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallion

That marinade sounds yummy.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thanks Jenny, what we would call spring onions.

I like your fried rice recipe, what a good way to use up a chop.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

This is my four year old’s most requested meal. We love the restaurant and have picked up several of their recipes over the years. Yesterday, K helped me make the good rice and then sat patiently by the stove with an empty bowl waiting until the timer beeped. I always try to keep basil and parsley in my garden just for this. Lately, I’ve thrown in diced red peppers from the garden and carrots. It is also really good with fresh green beans. I like to eat it with chicken. K always begs for sausages.

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/recipe.asp?FeaturedItemID=108

Those drumsticks sound like something my family would love!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Oh…and is “tea time” what we call dinner or lunch?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yes MC, the title actually comes from a nursery tape my children used to sing along to, one of the songs was ‘What for tea today’?

My chaps get off the bus at 4:15 ‘starving’ so they have a hot meal at 4:30 and then a supper (lighter meal) at 7:30pm.

Jed and I eat when he gets home, when ever that is!

Off to check out your link, this is awesome!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I should do that. My kids have a heavy snack or sandwiches around 3 or 4. It would make more sense and probably be cheaper to feed them a bigger meal then and a lighter one later like you do.

My poor husband is allergic to gluten, diary, and soy. My youngest is just allergic to gluten. Though, I’m pretty good at modifications and substitutions…I’m always looking for new recipes and flavors to keep meals interesting. “From scratch” is the only way to affordably feed them. I always love seeing new recipes!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Mcholley, tea time in Australia seems to correspond to “dinner” in other parts of the world, at least in my experience 🙂

And I often imagine it said in the same whiny voice as “Are we there yet?” Not that any of Nicole’s kids would do that 🙂

I like the idea of a hot filling meal straight after school and a lighter one later.

I just made raw brownies for a birthday morning tea at work tomorrow for a friend with multiple food allergies including gluten and dairy allergies.

http://themoveablefeasts.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/my-new-roots-raw-brownie/

2 cups (210 grams) walnuts, I use the same weight in almond meal (ground almonds)

1 cup (92 grams) pure cocoa

large pinch or two of table salt

500g dried dates, pits removed (this seems to be double the suggested recipe but I get the best results with this amount, If you have access to American ingredients it may be worth going with the suggested weight)

– add nut meal, cocoa and salt to a processor bowl and pulse until combined

– add dates down the funnel one at a time while the motor is running

– once all the dates are incorporated add enough water 3-4 tablespoons until the mixture sticks together when pressed

– push into a 8×8 tin and refrigerate

– cut into small squares

store in an airtight container, can be frozen. I prefer to eat mine frozen 🙂

I’ve served this at many gatherings to those with no food restrictions as well and it always goes down very well, and generally there are multiple requests for the recipe. In fact when another friend heard I was thinking of making them for tomorrow she was very enthusiastic 🙂

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

thanks! K’s favorite packaged cookies are mostly dates…I bet he’ll love these.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

We’re having carbonara for dinner tonight. We use parmesan rather than the pecorino listed in the recipe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spaghettiallacarbona_86763

And we do penne not spaghetti – even though Audrey likes spaghetti, it takes soooo long for her to eat it!

We grew up with the evening meal being ‘tea’ but somewhere along the line I have switched to calling it dinner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.