Oliver + S

Cooking and Baking

What's for Tea Today, Mum? A cooking thread.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My neighbour uses a glass house @darcyjane, maybe that helps?

He grows vegies for fun, we happily take his excess.

I pulled out too much mince @Sarvi, so I *have* to make another today.
    No one is complaining. 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Nicole.
    LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Oh, eggplant. I miss it! I loved it until I suddenly became allergic to it after my son was born. It’s been two years and it still makes my whole mouth itch when I eat it (and my hands if I cook with it). I deal with the discomfort for the occasional mouthful of baba ghanoush but eggplant parmesan is out 🙁

We had steak, sweet potatoes and green beans and a chocolate pound cake with whipped ganache for dessert (as it was the hubs’ birthday).

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

@roundtheworldgirl, what a bummer! My husband says the same thing happens to him with all melons, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew… He still eats a little in the summer though.

@motherof5
    , we are hoping to build a hot house (glass house) next spring. We just moved into a new house so inside projects are being done this year and outdoor project start next spring!

I made this last night and it might be the easiest and best pasta dish I’ve ever made: http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/13/one-pot-zucchini-mushroom-pasta/
    She has a link to another one pot pasta (a spaghetti one) in the blog post that looks pretty amazing too!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That looks amazing, thank you!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Just had the most fantastic jacket potatoe dinner with friends 🙂 Jacket potatoes, tomato mince sauce (spag bol sauce), grated cheese, bacon, corn on the cob as well as tomatoes, carrot and cucumber sticks.
    There were 9 of us, 4 adults, 2 6′ tall teenagers, and 3 kids. I cooked 14 large potatoes but next time I think I need 20 potatoes, I forgot how much teenagers eat 🙂
    The Spag Bol sauce is really easy, I make it in either the crockpot or on the stove.
    1 Kg Mince
    1 Kg broccoli and cauliflower (I use frozen)
    2 jars of pasta sauce
    Cook for a long time and the veg disintegrates into the mince, hidden veggies 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A neighbour dropped me off a bag of lemons this morning so I made this for supper http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20191/lemon+delicious#comments

I doubled the recipe but reduced the sugar by 1/3, still fantastic.
    I did add an extra 1/3 cup of lemon juice too.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Here’s a little Liesl + Co. secret. I do all the company’s cooking.

One of the things I like to do on days when I can work from home (which is most days now in Madrid) is make a good Bolognese sauce. I spent today making my famous “All Day Bolognese,” and @admin asked me for my recipe.

I never use recipes; I cook by feel. So I wrote up for him what I do. I thought as long as it was done, I ought to share it here too. So here’s how to make the official Oliver + S All Day Bolognese.

A good Bolognese is all about meat that’s overbrowned and reducing everything down to concentrate flavors. So here we go.

Chop two large onions, five or six big carrots, five or six stalks of celery, and as much garlic as you want. Cook them in some olive oil until everything is soft and the onion is translucent. This is your sofrito.

While that is cooking, brown one pound of ground beef, one pound of ground pork, a pound of ground lamb, and a some pancetta or bacon. (You can use any mix of meats you like, but it’s important to get a mix and to use a lot of meat.) Add salt as you like. If you get a lot of grease as the fat renders drain it. Some of the time if you’re using lean meat any fat that renders will get reabsorbed, so you don’t need to. When everything is browned, let it cook some more. You want to slightly burn the bottom of what’s in the pot. Let the bottom of the meat char a bit, and get a lot of good brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. When you’ve got good burned meat on the bottom, add some beef stock and use it to scrape up the charred bits stuck to the pan. I usually use maybe a couple cups. You don’t want to drown the meat. You just want enough to allow you to deglaze the pan and give the meat something to boil in. Once you’ve gotten the pan deglazed, add the sofrito to the meat and stock and cook it at a simmer until the beef stock has reduced and the meat and sofrito are pretty dry.

At this point you’ll be about 75 minutes in.

Then add about as much white wine as you added of beef stock. Stir it and simmer it until the wine is reduced.

Once the meat and sofrito are almost dry, add about the same amount of milk and simmer until reduced again.

At this point, you’re probably about 2-2 1/2 hours in.

When it’s almost dry again, add two large cans of whole peeled plum tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes and start simmering. Simmer it for another 2 hours (at least). I usually go longer. And you can go much longer if you want. Just make sure there is enough liquid in the pot and let it simmer away for several hours while you do other things. Just check it every so often. You can have a can of crushed tomatoes on hand here if you want to add more sauce to reduce for longer.

During the last hour, you can season to taste: salt, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, a touch of red pepper flakes. If the sauce is very red, you can add more milk at this point. You want it to be a light red, close to an orange color.

It’s done when the sauce is really thick. You don’t want a runny tomato sauce. You want to boil off most of the liquid in the tomatoes so you are left with a really thick meat sauce where the meats have absorbed all the flavors of the stock, wine, milk, and tomatoes.

Serve it over a thick pasta like a tagliatelli.

Since it take so long to make (although, to be honest, it’s mostly simmering time), I make a huge pot of it and then freeze it in meal-sized containers. That way, I can pull one out of the freezer, thaw it, cook some pasta, and have a quick easy meal later.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m going to give this a crack! Thanks for sharing this Todd! I generally cook by feel also, even though there are recipe books in the house😜. It isn’t cooking weather right now (forecast a very hot 45 degrees c today) but I think bolognese cannot be reserved just for the cooler months. Add in a salad with what you have shared and I think we’d have a stellar summer meal myself.

Lately I have been using a recipe to make a favourite for tea in our house. The one child who doesn’t desire this dish is away at school so the rest of us are indulging….

Zucchini Slice

I do believe she was our first Masterchef winner?! Someone somewhere will correct me if I am wrong😀

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Forty-five degrees Celsius?!? Is that for real? If it’s that hot outside, you wouldn’t need to cook the Bolognese on the stove. Just throw all the raw ingredients in a pot in the morning and set it outside in the sun for the day. By the time the sun goes down at night, you’ll have a finished sauce waiting for you!

Stay cool.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Pan cake day!

I had a large bag of oranges left at our door so I made these http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/pancakes-with-orange-sauce-L6750.html?ref=recipe_collection_view%2Csweet-sauce-recipes

So very very good!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

The other day Tsia was off from school, and she wanted to make brownies. She went to the internet to find a recipe and came back with this one. I’m not sure where she found it.

• 1 1/4 cups Nutella
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 2 eggs

All you need to do is mix the ingredients and pour them into a greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.

I was skeptical that they would be any good (disclosure, I don’t really like Nutella), but darn if they weren’t great! I was trying to figure out how it worked so well, and I looked at the ingredients of Nutella. Everything else that usually goes into brownies is in the Nutella already.

It’s a perfect recipe to let a kid make for him or herself with minimal supervision.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.