Oliver + S

Cooking and Baking

What's for Tea Today, Mum? A cooking thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi, folks! I made us a group for chatting about all things food related. Please join and we can start some new threads.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I made a salmon, leeks and fennel pie for us last night. It was really good and my eldest would have eaten it whole if I had let her. The little one was not very impressed.

I used smoked salmon in thin slices, some sautéed leeks and thinly sliced fennel.
    The only negative thing was that I had forgotten the salt in the pie crust. Need to remember that for next time.

I made chevré toast with honey to go with and that was better received. I think it will be requested again.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh yum, that sounds delicious.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

There was a quarter piece pie left over and I was looking forward to eat that tonight, but Isabel claimed it so I was stuck with cheesy broccoli quinoa and balsamic glazed chicken which I had had for lunch today and yesterday and there is still a serving left! (I made a huge batch over the weekend.)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Lotta, your food sounds so amazing!

I made this soup last week, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143880130031/, I substituted light sour cream and used extra garlic.
    Five hungry little Keller’s knocked off a double batch for tea.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Tonight, http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24751/classic+moussaka, as I was given 3 beautiful glossy egg plants.
    I added extra garlic, salt and pepper as well as salting my egg plant before cooking it.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’ve never learned to love eggplant – maybe I should give it a try again.

I’m stuck on the quinoa. It’s so good, I’ve had it for lunch all last week and this week. I make a batch on Sunday night, divide it into 4 jars and top up with chicken, fish or beef. Perfect for lunch.

I use this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnmjmHUUxsY (the last one in the video). I reduced the cheese to less than 1/2 cup shredded cheese and use a really sharp cheese like parmesan so it packs a lot of flavour)

And here’s the chicken recipe I used for balsamic glazed chicken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xqrATwlQ0

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My new chooks are laying a dozen a day so I am making a lot of quiche type things. I fry up onions, garlic and chilli as a base and today added chicken breast, bacon and mushrooms. When that was crispy I poured over a dozen eggs beaten with 1/2 cup milk and a little SR flour blended in. Sprinkled with cheese and put the pan in the oven.

Served with sweetcorn on the cob

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh yum, that sounds amazing! With the freshest eggs, what perfection.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Does anyone have a favorite Bombay potatoes recipie? Hubby had some at a restaurant that also had chickpeas included. We’ve been trying to reproduce it and had some great dinners but still haven’t found a favorite.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wish I did, but I’m not familiar with the dish — but it sounds tasty!

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Oh my! All of these recipes sound great!

One of my favorite meals to make are pouches. Super quick. Last night we layered salmon on top of asparagus (it’s asparagus season here yay), drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and topped the salmon with a couple sprigs of thyme and a couple slices of lemon. They are wrapped in their serving portions in aluminum foil (or parchment) and baked for about 20 minutes. And they were awesome! Served with couscous.

Nicole, I’m jealous of your fresh eggs!! My mom has chickens too but lives 2 1/2 hours away :/ Nothing beats fresh eggs!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@DarcyStruble, yum! Love that idea. Thank you.

We are lucky with eggs, it is good we like them.

Another 1/2 dozen egg plants were dropped off yesterday so I think moussaka is on the menu again tonight.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

If I had eggs like those, really fresh, I bet I’d eat loads of them. Supermarket eggs are really sad specimens. Pale yolks, shells barely there. I splurged on proper eggs from the farmer’s market today. Had to queue for them!

Moussaka sounds fab.

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Mmmmmm eggplant! I tried to grow it last year and failed :/ is it a fall thing? I tried growing it in the summer!

Sarvi, our farmer’s market opens this weekend and I’m sooooo excited for some local eggs! I totally agree, supermarket eggs leave a lot to be desired!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.