Oliver + S

your wish list

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 391 total)
  • LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I would definitely buy and use a moto jacket pattern, I have used and used the School Days coat pattern — first as a raincoat, then as pirate coats, then as basis for this year’s raglan Descendants jacket. I’ve taken a stab at drafting a princess-seamed one but of course yours would be miles better. Would it be easier if it was XS,S,M,L,XL instead of individual sizes? Not really right? (sad)

On stocking notions/supplies, maybe soluble fabric markers, those trims (especially ones from Europe) — in a 2-yard pack (or a one-yard pack for fancy ribbon for the Garden Party) , snaps for the Lullaby onesie, unusual colors/finishes of embroidery thread for smocking, indigo dye. Living in proximity to Manhattan I’m used to going all over the place to find something specific, but it would be nice for many to be able to get it in the mail.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I wonder if the Secret Agent was a lined jacket if that would have made a difference.
    My blog post re lining it gets a lot of hits.

I like @reeni idea of a multi size system too.

A shirt/blouse and a new shorts pattern would be super appreciated too.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Yes, @motherof5, yes regarding lining the Secret Agent trench!

I own the pattern and have never made it – and I admit it’s because I prefer a lined jacket. I worry that my version would end up too bathrobe-like and not be worn.

Could you link to your blog post about lining it and I’ll check it out…please!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I can’t even imagine the complaints we would get about the number of pattern pieces if we had lined it! People are very intimidated by a large number of pattern pieces. Never mind that it sews up quickly, it’s the number of pattern pieces. And that goes for the Lisette patterns too. If it has a lot of pieces people won’t buy it. Sometimes I get a little frustrated because the easy, simple patterns sell best. The more detailed patterns just don’t sell. So of course then I ask myself why I make the effort, even though I know a select few people really appreciate it…

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

That’s a shame, I am to the point where I want and crave a nice, detailed and technical sew. I long for a four scissor pattern. The simple ones do get made, and they are wardrobe staples, but I fear I am going to get bored and it won’t be fun or a challenge any more.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Don’t worry. I have something in the works that will challenge you!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Yee haa!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

YAY! Not sure what it is but will have to get it just for the challenge 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It’s really good to hear that we will get to sink our sewing teeth into something with a bit of bite to it. I can see how you’d be frustrated by people wanting simple minimal pattern piece designs Liesl. If they wanted that then really it would be a no pattern piece situation and just make a sarong or something – or do what my daughter does and forget pattern pieces and improvise with shapes instead. Not everyone wants easy, quick, simple. But I think everyone would agree they want effective and rewarding and your patterns certainly do offer that!

Oh by the way, @Liesl, how easy would it be to use the bodice of the Sunday brunch jacket as a basis for a mini moto jacket? I have been thinking about this for ages and it seems that everyone else has had moto jackets on the brain aswell. A few tweaks using the bodice would work wouldn’t it?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Tamara, now you’ve got me thinking 🙂
    Remove gathering
    Add faux princess seams to bottom half of jacket
    Add band to bottom of jacket
    Add zip in line with princess seams

I’m now wondering if hacking the firefly might not be even better.
    Angle the front overlap
    Measure/draw overlap line
    Add zip
    Jacket already has narrow sleeves
    May want to remove the back pleats and slightly angle in the sides.
    Now do I have this pattern?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Heidi YES! The firefly is one pattern I have but have never used. That would be perfect and the zipper on the angle is what I was thinking. Maybe it is an idea for a challenge? A mini moto jacket hack the oliver and s pattern challenge! Oh the inspiration that would come from that would be awesome!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, I love that idea! If anyone is game to do it we’ll be thrilled to feature you on the blog.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

OOH thank you. That’s good to know. You are right of course. The notcher would not work on fabric.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

My Halloweeen hack of the School Days coat pattern to make dd’s requested belted peplum jacket with bell sleeves (she wanted to be Evie from the TV movie the Descendants..) went something like that. I made the toile and pin-fit it on her for the tucks — they ended up being quite close to the vertical seams on the original. (This is what made me think that if I ever made another one, I’d draft it with princess seams.) I put in raglan sleeves that I slash-and-spread redrafted from the Field Trip sleeves to give a swooping bell shape.
    Of course the original was handpainted leather, but I made dd’s with satin and appliqued sequin fabric for the crown on the back. She did the sleeves with silkscreen paint herself.
    http://chefreeni.blogspot.com/2015/11/villains-but-huggy-or-costumes-2015.html

I have some forest-green suedecloth that would make a great spring-weight jacket…

LINK
    Buratti @Buratti

Looping back to a previous topic on notions and supplies, please: would you consider supplying/producing ready made cotton lawn bias binding, maybe from your latest fabric collection? I have just ordered some Liberty bias from Cloth Kits in the UK. I know it’s easy to make your own but it’s always nice to have some pretty ready made cotton bias to quickly finish off a sleeve or neckline. Just a thought! Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 391 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.