Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,291 through 1,305 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I finished St Nicholas! It has nothing to do with Oliver and S, but here are some pics if you want. http://queenoftheflies.blogspot.com/2012/10/halloween-part-1-school-all-saints.html I think it’s kind of hilarious to see a 7 year old dressed up in a beard. Taking a break so I can press on with Tinkerbell. Jake and Peter pan are done except for faux boots. But our car is out of commission and there’s a big tropical storm on its ways so I may not be able to get supplies for those.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Meleliza, I hope you and your family stay safe and warm!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’ve only just caught up on world current affairs and saw the size of Sandy. I hope everyone gets through safely – and don’t worry about the supplies Meleliza, I’m sure because of Sandy “winging” it will be acceptable.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Harumph. We are too far inland to experience hurricaines. Except, 4 of the 6 predicted paths take the darn thing right to Buffalo, NY. I mean come on! I just told my hubby he has to figure out the generator by Thursday. Although very weakened, we aren’t good with wind and rain. We can kick any snow storm in the rear end, but too much rain? Good luck to everyone in the path!

Jenny

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

To all of you on the East Coast of the US stay safe! I hope everything turns out fine even though it may dampen Halloween. Thinking of you all!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So far, school is cancelled tomorrow and Tuesday, the city is shut down except emergency services and lots of businesses are closed too. We don’t really get floods downtown, outer parts of the city do and certainly in nj do. They want the barrier islands to evacuate. Wind and rain can cause quite a lot of damage! Thanks for all the thoughts. You just have to wait and see with these. I’m sure we’llbe fine, but someone is going to get hit with it, just a question of where.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Thinking and prating for all of you on the east coast with the hurricane (I nearly said Cyclone, an Australian verison, I think they spin the other way?). Espically hope that you keep power so you can keep sewing,:) and don’t get flooded.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Your storms spin the other way? I find that really amusing. Lots of power outages already, but not at my house so I’m planning to work on fairy wings today.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Water goes down the drain the other way too! The things we learn on a sewing forum! 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Fairy wings sound like a really fun way to ride out this storm.

This week is my last week at work and so they have me working until Thursday. Before and after work though I try and get a bit of sewing or cutting out of the way. I have decided to just sew what’s in the basket and then cut out other things so it is White things this week – or things with a white background which includes a music class blouse with a view b collar and a book report dress with shortened sleeves – aswell as those boxers I didn’t finish the other night.

We’ve just heard that Sandy is expected to make landfall within the hour and that there is nothing but grim news from Maryland. Stay safe everyone – praying for positive results.

Tamara

LINK

Here’s a brief summary of a cyclone vs a hurricane. http://www.diffen.com/difference/Cyclone_vs_Hurricane

And this is from wikipedia about why things spin the oppiste ways in different hemispheres.

Coriolis effect

Infrared image of a powerful southern hemisphere cyclone, Monica, near peak intensity, showing clockwise rotation due to the Coriolis effectThe Earth’s rotation imparts an acceleration known as the Coriolis effect, Coriolis acceleration, or colloquially, Coriolis force. This acceleration causes cyclonic systems to turn towards the poles in the absence of strong steering currents.[55] The poleward portion of a tropical cyclone contains easterly winds, and the Coriolis effect pulls them slightly more poleward. The westerly winds on the equatorward portion of the cyclone pull slightly towards the equator, but, because the Coriolis effect weakens toward the equator, the net drag on the cyclone is poleward. Thus, tropical cyclones in the Northern Hemisphere usually turn north (before being blown east), and tropical cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere usually turn south (before being blown east) when no other effects counteract the Coriolis effect.[21]

The Coriolis effect also initiates cyclonic rotation, but it is not the driving force that brings this rotation to high speeds – that force is the heat of condensation.[19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone

Looking at this hurricane, has made me appricate at most of the northan coastline in Australia is not heavily populated where the cyclones tend to hit. Except Darwin (Cyclone Tracey, Christmas day 1974, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Tracy ) and may be they occasionaly get to Brisbane? (I don’t know as much about that, so plase correct me.)

I added press studs to a number of bibs this morning and am hoping to get back to the machine tonight.

Prayers for your saftey.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Yet, Cybele727, the Coriolos effect really has no influence on trifling things like sinks and bathtubs:

Quote: ” The twisting effect of the Coriolis force is real and does influence certain large things like the movement of air masses, but the effect is so small that it plays no role in determining the direction in which water rotates as it exits from a draining sink or toilet. The Coriolis effect produces a measurable effect over huge distances and long periods of time, neither of which applies to your bathroom. Toilets and sinks drain in the directions they do because of the way water is directed into them or pulled from them. If water enters in a swirling motion (as it does when a toilet is flushed, for example), the water will exit in that same swirling pattern; as well, most basins have irregular surfaces and are not perfectly level, factors which influence the direction in which water spirals down their drains. The configuration of taps and drains is responsible for the direction of spin given to water draining from sinks and bathtubs to a degree that overwhelms the slight influence of the Coriolis force. “

Via the QI website (fascinating and entertaining TV show, and no doubt they have a more reliable source for their information than another TV show…): http://old.qi.com/

So, please, when you visit a drought prone southern hemisphere country, don’t waste water filling sinks and bathtubs!

Cyclone Pancho sure packed a punch across the southern Australian states about 4 years ago (which I remember because I had just euthanased a very mild mannered old cat named Pancho, belonging to a friend of mine, and then within days this cyclone came out of nowhere. Spooky!)

LINK

That’s Great info, I would definatly trust QI over Wiki! Was Cyclone Pancho on the Eastern Seabord? as I don’t remember it but I think I live far to far south to have been effected.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I wasn’t around when Tracey hit but does anyone remember Alby? How it went from east to west like Tracey and then down the west coast to Albany of all places? My father in law will tell you that he nearly got blown of the shearing shed roof trying to hold the tin down and that was hours BEFORE it hit!

We had a freak “willy willy” (they are common in summer and look like mini twisters) rip our roof off ten years ago and a minor flood inside the house that had us move out for 5 weeks – a new baby and all!

Now that the disaster stories are shared, I hope you are all safe whilst riding this weather out and making new stories to tell about the Great storm of 2012.

Hope you’ve got lots of handsewing to go on with too! I can’t wait to get back to the machine (s) – 2 days to go!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Downtown Philly escaped with only some flooding near the river. Lots of down power lines in the outer areas though. But it did distract long enough to get really behind on the Halloween costumes. And it looks as if Halloween may be moving forward. Sooo,I need to figure out how to attach some rather over zealously large wings to my fairy tale dress. I’m thinking about four buttons on the back might do it. I’m hoping I can make some elastic button loops on the wings so that the buttons don’t even show. I don’t think I can make buttonholes in the organza wings because the wires will be in the way. I hope we get at least a little sun tomorrow to take some pictures. And I really hope she cooperates with the costume! It could take a lot of candy to bribe her.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,291 through 1,305 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.