Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

T888 – think school pants using the sandbox pattern is a great idea – and I am also going to try flat felled seams on my next pair. Saw a great tutorial for doing them a few weeks ago but now can’t find it – grrr….

I’ve also been wondering if anyone’s ever made sandbox pants in knit – think they’d make good sports shorts for school too….

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I agree the sandbox pants would be great for school – I plan on using black tracksuit material for this (our uniform is not at all ‘clean cut’) as it will be warm and comfortable for all the running around they do.

I should think justmejay, that if you used a knit that wasn’t too stretchy, it could work. All you need to do is try and see how it does go.

I am about to place a rather large order for corduroy (from Farmhouse fabrics)in order to make some girly looking sandbox pants and a corduroy music class skirt in hot pink to go with some Michael Miller Birds of Norway corduroy I plan to make into some sort of jacket (pattern is undetermined on this one). Those two along with a pair of graphite colour trousers (number one son) should get the ball rolling for winter clothes.

I also have an extensive order of MW and CW fabric plus a couple of patterns I haven’t got yet from Quilthome to make 5 shirts, two dresses and a skirt. The shirts I will start on first because they are long sleeved and will do for the cooler months.

Today I am going to cut out as many sandbox pants as I can muster the strength for and sew and sew and sew, so the boy gets pants that actually fit him for a change.

Has anyone tried a different sleeve on the school photo dress? I’m wondering how the long sleeve pattern will go on the dress for a winter version? Either that or, has anyone dressed their little ones with a long sleeved top under the school photo dress at all? Just figuring out how I could do this for the brief winter we have.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Justine- I made some sandbox pants in knit, and they turned out great. I modified the pocket opening to a straight seam so I didn’t have to turn a curve on the knits. If I can dig out the winter pants, I’ll try to take a picture of it. It was one of the first pairs of pants that I made with the serger. I used a pretty stable knit- I think it was something Ponte? Da Ponte? I just walked around the fabric shop until something felt right.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Thanks Jo – thought it would probably work ok – & now I’m just such a whiz with knits!!!! (heavy sarcasm – hehehe)

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok, I have four pairs of Sandbox pants, two music class skirts, two hopscotch skirts and two school photo dresses ready to sew. It took all day just to cut these out in between interruptions but I plan to pull a late one in sewing most of them.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I’ve taken a bit of break from sewing this week since finishing the 4 Easter dresses so I could catch up on everything (hello dirty house!) that got neglected. Up next for my sewing machine is 2 Little Things to Sew sunhats and a Seashore sundress. The hats are part way done already and the dress is cut out.:)

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I had planned on sewing some tops and every-day pants for the girls, but the warm weather we had for the past week and a half put a new School Days Coat for Sofia high up on the list.

The fleece lined jacket I made her is just too warm now so I’ll use the twill I bought to make pants (it’s got a bit of stretch to it but not too much) and make up a coat for her lined with quilting cotton. I just have to decide on what print to use.

Apart from that I’m planning a Seashore Dress for Isabel in the same print as her Jumprope Dress only with a red background, a School Photo Dress for Sofia from red and white tiny gingham, and I have yardage of the elephant fabric (in red) to use for a dress – I think I’ll make one for Isabel this time as Sofia already has two elephant dresses.

I got a kit to make my own bra the other day which I’m planning to try out soon. In that shipment I also got 1 yard of swimsuit fabric and in the latest Ottobre issue there was a bathing suit for girls that I liked.

I have this Saturday off so I hope to get a bunch of it started.

How was everyone else’s weekend? Did you “go” to a wedding?

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

hehehe – a busy weekend Lotta – and I did in fact go to a wedding – my cousin’s. Shall blog it later but forgot my camera!

I finally used some of my CW knit – love it! Used it for a hopscotch dress for Lucy. Need more!

Still have 2 jumpropes cut and ready to go, as well as 2 more pairs of sandbox pants….but am thinking I might finally make a Sunday Brunch as my next project 🙂

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

2 pairs of puppet show shorts. And I spent a good deal of time yesterday at the cutting board, preparing: these shorts, 2 ruffle halters and a swing set top. I have a family reunion blouse in mind too, hoping I can get to it before the next 2 weeks are gone.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I went to a wedding too he he!

Washing and ironing after a week in Adelaide…….but Sailboat pants on the machine and Music Class blouses on the kitchen table.

LINK
    homefire @homefire

More cleaning than sewing going on here I’m a afraid. I’m doing a good old fashioned spring cleaning this year. I’ve finally accepted that fact that I live in a house the size of a cracker jacks box so some things just simply HAVE to go. I did get the Easter outfits done with a whole day to spare, and a bathing suit for my MIL. I also have some everyday skirts for my oldest dd cut out and waiting. One is the Hopscotch skirt and I was going to cut out a music class skirt but found out that I haven’t traced it yet. Soo… I’ll probably squeeze those in somewhere. I’m also afraid the only wedding I made it to was for an hour when I was at the gym Sat. morning (we don’t have a t.v.). Might watch it on Hulu tonight though since dh is at the station.

LINK
    Mandy1977 @Mandy1977

I “went” to the wedding! 🙂

Just finished up a popover tunic the other day. I have another one cut out to sew and I cut out a 2+2 top in green chambray this morning. That will keep me busy for another little bit.

Oh! And I would really like to get a music box pinafore sewn up for a family friend’s graduation next Saturday (5/14)… we shall see.

LINK
    ThirdMargaret @ThirdMargaret

I couldn’t resist the wedding! I though it was perfect. I swooned over the little bridesmaid dresses! I am making Music Class blouses with short sleeves for my youngest; an optimistic exercise if ever there was since I’m not sure it will ever be warm enough to wear them. I’ve also got the Music Class skirt cut. I really, really want to make a couple more Jump Rope dresses, but can’t settle on fabric.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A good ‘spring’ clean is needed here as well homefire,but I don’t think it will wait until spring!

I love coloured chambray Mandy,I can’t wait to see it!(and you could make the Music Box pinny,it is very quick to sew)

Post you fabric choices Margaret,we will help you choose!(he he)

The twin have nearly grown out of their school rugby’s as has Son&Heir,so I must cut out some Nature Walk tops in some lovely navy wool rich knit.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Both kids REALLY need new pants. Ollie’s got some old, nasty jeans, a bunch of corduroy, and only one pair of twill (sandbox). It’s getting too warm here for corduroy and I really want to see those old rtw jeans go. I didn’t get much done over the weekend (migraine).

I plan to make a couple pair of sandbox pants and a pair of sketchbook shorts for Oliver. I just finished sailboat pants for Clara and I think I’ll do a couple more in the cropped length using bright colors. Next up will be a couple pair of puppet show shorts and a pair of sketchbook shorts for her. Yep – It’s pants/shorts week here.

I have some more pretties to sew for Clara after I’ve filled their closets with basics. A hopscotch skirt, a tea party sundress, and some popovers for Clara for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.