Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 4,306 through 4,320 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m finishing up the last pair of navy double knee leggings. I’m trying to decide what to sew next. My nephew would like a long sleeve shirt with French cuffs, like I made his brother, so he can wear cufflinks. This is very exciting as he is very much a comfort over looking well dressed or fashionable 🙂 I would like to have it done before they head overseas for a wedding next month but I think I had better make a muslin/ size check first as he is right at the top of the size 12 range. I did look into the Colette Negroni but the finished chest measurement of the appropriate size was smaller than the sketvhbook shirt size 12. So hopefully the sketchbook shirt will fit. Or maybe I’ll use a stretch poplin if I can find it.

Other things another pair of jersey field trip cargos and I need to finish the quilt by early July for a birthday. I think I had better get that sketchbook shirt traced!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Stretch poplin is a great idea Heidi.

Baby shirt made and oh-so-cute!

Now on to the Field Walk cargoes, bit of a size difference.

LINK

Thanks Nicole, I was hoping you’d chime in with an opinion since you have made so many 🙂 I hope I can find it in white at Spotlight.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I know spotlight here has stretch sateen but I admit I haven’t seen stretch poplin at my local that is. I hope you find something that works Heidi.

I have finally purchased some tags to put in my sewing! Better late than never and I will be busy inserting them into the latest sewing when they get here.

I think N will chicken out of wanting to play Auskick again today and really I am not disappointed. i might actually get the chance to sew today as a result – but I was hoping for a trip to the bakery!

Murray smashed one of my jars holding buttons – to my dismay, don’t ask what happened but he has been spending the best part of this morning figuring out why the heater isn’t working in the lounge room. We are considering a wood heater because the house is freezing!

So I want to trace some patterns today and do some alterations on the ones that need altering. I want some other clothes to wear and will make a cape for me (the bump is still tiny so it will be ok). Basically if I can stay home I will be just doing whatever takes the fancy this weekend sewing wise.

LINK

I’ve sewn most of the major quilting lines in a quilt I’m making. Now to trim the quilt and add the binding. It should be done well before the July birthday.

LINK

Just the binding to go on the quilt! I trimmed it and then sewed the edges with the overlocker to keep them tidy and together when I add the binding.

I’m about to go and make a start tracing off the size 12 sketchbook shirt. I’m thinking I’ll add 6-8″ to the body and probably 2″ to the sleeves.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I traced off the puppet show pattern in the 0-3 month size and then because it looks so tiny, I compared it with the bodice size of an outfit I have made and used before. I will have to use a smaller seam allowance for it to fit as the bodice was part of the pattern I made Imogen’s first dress from – she wore it for only two weeks. This way, it will still be big enough to accommodate a 9 pounder if but for a little while. Its not big deal. This is primarily for the show.

I am thinking either the lattice pin tucking or smocking the bodice would be the most ideal considering it has a collar.

And then I think I might make one the next size up just to compare.

LINK

Tamara, would it be better to size up so it is more likely to get worn?

I finally finished a quilt I pieces the top of in 2011! I only have one more of them to go 🙂

I stated cutting the LTTS quilt top, but I’m planning to back it with coral fleece rather than quilting it because then it will get used.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would have to agree with Heidi. I am drafting off the tiny size but my babies are usually around the 6 lb mark.

I worked on Zara’s Field Trip trousers, so much topstitching, but I did do some photographing of sewing. I finally pinned Hugo down and snapped some modelled shots.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Finally managed to get time last night to start some bucket hats for my two grandsons in Nova Scotia. Only 3 sleeps now! Quite enjoying making them. I used double interfacing for stiffer brims and following a little Gray’s tutorial, which is really helpful. I also clipped curves before attaching brim and used two million pins- result, no puckers- yeay! Finished buttonholes on all Rose’s dresses and tops- will NEVER leave them all to the end again. I changed cotton colours and threads so many times it was a hassle. Bought one of those Sliding buttonhole feet but not sure what help its being, I’m not very logical. By the way, what thread do you use for cotton material? I have always matched thread to fabric content but when I bought the buttonhole foot the sewing engineer man told me not to use cotton. He said it afffects machine tension and other stuff I’ve forgotten, and to use polyester. I dislike manmade fabrics, so what do you use? And I’m hoping to start sunny shorts this afternoon if I get time. Linda

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oohh, good thread is a passion of mine.

I use Rasant thread, lots of lovely colours and very very strong. My machine is semi-industrial and I need strong thread.

I used to use cotton but it snapped all the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/13052943423/ the fat rolls are Rasant, very economical too.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks, Nicole. I’ll look up Rasant and get some to try.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My pleasure Linda, and you made me snigger with your comment on my photo!

Guterman and Mettler are very good too!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I finished Zara’s Field Trip trousers and they were gone from the sewing room! Elsa washes hers out each night and dries them by the fire. I think Zara’s pair may be as popular.

Next up, the Lola dress, but she is smaller then the size 2 so I may have to take it in. She has chosen a winter white wool jersey. It should be lovely to sew.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

# Off Topic #

@Knitting1/Linda, you queried how big Merino’s can get. I found this picture for you. https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/14253322827/

We now return to our normal transmission……

Viewing 15 posts - 4,306 through 4,320 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.