Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

No idea why my post turned up twice! I am rubbish at technical stuff. Apologies justsewit for any confusion. Ordered a copy of Jump rope dress from Chicago yesterday. Postage was amazingly cheap, I thought. Pattern turned out about the same price as I pay in UK (not that i managed to find a paper pattern of jump rope in UK, hence American purchase). Via etsy- never used it before.looking forward to making it.Linda

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Love the Jumprope, such a lovely dress and sew.

So, I figured out I needed to add seam allowance. I will cut another shirt straightaway to draft off the pattern with allowances added (I added the allowances to the fabric as I had already drafted the pattern with out)

The pattern is this one http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143877300001/

I love having a groovy son.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I took a break from sewing after my mom died, and finally picked it up my again over the weekend. I made a pair of Sunny Day shorts for the baby and a summer nightgown for my oldest. I have a nightgown cut out for my middle child but haven’t sewn it yet due to a looming deadline. We leave here July 3. I will have to pack up my machines about a week earlier … and I have three flower girls dresses and two ring bearer outfits to make. I have mashed up the Music Box and Bubble Dress patterns for the dresses and yesterday I started sewing. I’m using a dreamy light coral-colored cotton voile (it’s really more salmon than the bride’s requested coral … eep!). It’s my goal to have all five outfits complete by June 1 …

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That is a very Hugo shirt!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m intrigued Masha. Which combination of each pattern did you use for the flower girls dresses – bubble bodice and music box skirt or music box bodice and bubble skirt? I mixed the same two said patterns and sized up the bubble bodice for my girl a year or so ago. It turned out a treat but unfortunately she didn’t wear it and I think it is now too small.

Just remember, you are making memories for your children with every garment you sew them – and at the same time it is therapy to help you through the tough time of grief.

I do hope your packing and transitioning is as smooth as possible. I know you may be having very mixed feelings about it since the recent event. Remember life is never sweeter than to be at home so I hope it is still worth looking forward to.

Love that shirt Nicole – pity about it being all in French – but I jumped onto the website last night and had a little look. Very interesting indeed.

I haven’t sewn a stitch today. I have had both children at home – sick? Not really sure! They were as white as sheets this morning and complaining of sore tummies but have since brightened up. I think I have a bit of time up my sleeve between now and going to collect the man to at least make a start on the tidy up. First though hang that load of work clothes out and rescue my door from being bashed in by the dog.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Thanks Tamara. It is sad to be returning home now – the reason we chose to do so rather than move to another country was so that the kids could spend time with my mom. Of course now it will be good to be around family during the grieving period, but it will be very bittersweet.

As for the dress, I lengthened the Music Box bodice considerably but redrafted the back portion to fold over the same way the Bubble does (since I didn’t want a button placket all the way down the back of the dress). Then I used the Music Box view A skirt but gathered it instead of pleating and sewed the back parts together like the Bubble Dress. So I guess I used the Music Box pattern and the Bubble construction method.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Nicole, the problems with those translators is that highly technical vocab – in second language acquisition, it’s called “jargon” – is not always available in regular dictionaries. In fact, even if you’re fluent in a language, you might not struggle with highly specific things like legal or scientific language, just as native speakers do. I am (or at least was) fluent in German, but I still had a little trouble when I had to go to the hospital there. And there are so many cultural contexts to language that a basic computer program can’t take into account. Keep in mind that I only understand about 2/3 of what the Australians here talk about. I don’t think I’m the only one. There is so much more to language that a simple plug and switch translation can’t address. Translators do some very underappreciated work!

Masha, I am so sorry about your mom and that your kids won’t get to spend that time with her. That is really sad. I hope it’s a comfort that you’ll be with family soon. My deepest sympathies!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Online translators are very good for a laugh though! Try me if you get stuck Nicole. My sewing technical French is probably lacking but I’m up for the challenge.

Sorry to hear about your mum Masha. Best wishes for your move.

oh, and since the thread is “what are you sewing now” the answer is the Sandbox pants. Took a long time to get around to busting out this pattern but I’m loving it, of course.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Sorry to hear about your mom Marsh.

Well the last two day I was able to get to some sewing. I know my time is limited so Garrett’s outfit is up first. I almost have his field trip trousers done. I left off the cargo pockets on this one so they would look more dress up than play for school. They should work very nicely for school clothes this fall. Then next up his sketchbook shirt I promised him over two years ago. Yep, this little boy is very excited! Me too. : )

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Meleliza, I’m also working on a Tea Party dress promised 2 years ago! I made a 18m size with lots of extra length originally but it was a squeeze to get into even then. It hasn’t stopped her wearing it for 2 years though but she’s finally unable to squeeze in any more. So I’ve got the next one nearly done which I have been planning since we realised the original was a bit small 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Love the Tea Party and so excited that you are sewing Sharon.

I am up to buttonholes on Hugo’s shirt and I can’t do those until he gets home. I need to determine where he would like the chest button and then work around that measurement.

I need to finish up tea anyway, so it should be perfect timing.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Masha-There are no words but I hope you find some comfort in all the kind people here that are holding a special thought for you and your family.

I’ve got two tiny buttondowns in the works. It is my same old kwik sew pattern. I have made so very many of them over the past few years… I’ve got a few other patterns waiting in the wings for my 4 year old, but he’s still a tiny 30#, and he’s not big enough for them yet. I’ve also got a pair of art museum “shorts” cut out and waiting.

After that I need to figure out a pair of new pajamas for my girl. Next Friday is “pajama day” at school. My old outgrown t-shirts that she prefers to sleep it won’t pass muster. I’m thinking a pair of short sleeve/shorts sleepovers (and possibly buying some sort of quirky novelty print).

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’m so glad you said that…I always put my second button too high! I knew there was a reason I was setting it aside for the night!

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Got my photos on Flickr now. Never used it before. Joined your Oliver+s group, so hope that’s OK, ladies? Going to try adding a link

Oliver+s bubble dress without bubble, for Rose. Japanese fabric Alice in Wonderland.

Hope it works! My name on Flicr is Linda.rees@rocketmail.com

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Think I’m going to embroider the few little things that are on the bodice of my Alice In Wonderland non-bubble bubble dress. Wish I’d thought about it earlier before I completed bodice so that back of embroidery was all nicely enclosed in the yoke lining. Never mind. After work today I’m going to try the sunny shorts out.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.