Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,491 through 2,505 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Sarvi, I’ll try and get some photos in the next couple of days. This is the dip dyed linen version of the Satsuki that had me sold:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60056118@N05/8651410874/

I’ve never tried hand dying, but am pretty stoked to try it after having seen this.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I find I sometimes stall at a boring part and moving to other things helps. I don’t particularly like the prep work for example, and I hate finishing a project a d not having a new one ready. So I never actually have more than one thing under the needle, but I like to do the planning, ordering, cutting, marking, basting and prep stuff ahead so that I can stitch seamlessly from one to the next. I’ve been doing this with knitting for years, actually. I hated finishing a project and not being ready to start the next. So I don’t know why I didn’t settle into this routine earlier.

LINK
    wendy @wendyls
    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am sewing 3 little Sunki’s and I have cut a 2+2 outfit for Tilly from $3 worth of remnants.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for sharing, Wendy. I’m curious to know how they are drafted and how well they sew up.

Nicole, I’m sewing remnants too. I just cut out a ruffled halter out of a yard of seersucker remaining from sandbox pants I sewed for the boys four years ago! And I think she’s getting a 2+2 blouse out of my leftover Hawthorn linen. And I realized I have just enough wool left from the school days coat I made oldest son 3 years ago to eek out a little things cape. Poor baby girl, getting only the free clothes. 😉

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

No sewing since finishing the 2+2 blouse, and Music Class skirt in corduroy (and thank you to all who have posted such flattering comments). Last night, I cut out a Size 3 Ice Cream – red pinwhale cord for yoke and base, with red/blue check drill for middle. Not sure whether to cut pockets in cord or check, yet. Today traced off a couple of other patterns in relevant sizes. I haven’t sewn these patterns before so a lot of checking of instructions as I went. This was followed by several hours of leaf/garden rubbish tidying/blowing. Rain is forecast in the next few days, and it seemed sensible to make hay while the sun was shining.

Found a couple of useful remnants in an op shop a few days ago. Mostly, I find that the fabric in these places is not useful for me – although I have found some great buttons in the last few months. One piece in particular is a very busy/bright floral in a sort’ve linen tea towel type weight. I think it could make a really cool Roller Skate. The other piece is a gaudy red and blue stripe (about 1 1/2″ wide stripes) in a good weight cotton which can be used lots of ways.

Re projects, I tend to work on one at a time if the project is complicated (or I feel anxious about it), but I find when I’m sewing that my brain works overtime about other fabric combinations for the pattern I’m working on at the time. Sometimes, if two projects are cut from the same fabric, I may sew them simultaneously because of the sewing machine/bobbins are set up with the same thread. This is useful when I’m topstitching/staystitching. Like Meleliza, I find it helpful to move on to a more interesting bit when I’m too tired to pursue the next more demanding/boring bit of a project. And having a couple on the go helps here. Motivation in the shape of another project to make helps me finish the one I’m working on, I find.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m still sorting – and have a nice pile of remnants for tiny clothes. I am hating the fact the doors are still not on the cupboard as the feline who thinks he can stay in the office left a parcel on some fabric which is truly disgusting and may not be successfully removed (on velveteen of all things). So I am making sure nothing is left on that shelf which seems to be a favourite to hide. The glass smashed on one of the panels and we haven’t replaced it so the doors cant go on (and then they would have to come off again to move the cupboard should we end up moving). I will turn that shelf into pattern storage or something just so it is a bit more boring for puss!

So today I will finally get this job completed and as you can guess there was no birthday outfit sewing. I do have to sew bogan (flannelette check) shirts and work pants for the kids as we are tailing lambs next week and they have to either help or be out the paddock with us playing – I will set up the totem tennis as I know N will be grossed out by the process. It will help keep them occupied when they get bored.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

With packing coming along very nicely and the internet going by, by for several weeks I am taking this time to get in a bit of sewing I have had on my to do list for a while. I am having a Tea party party!

I traced off the shorts for Caspian in a 12-18m, no mods to this but I plan on hand stitching a little bunny and a some cute words on the bodice part. It will be a baby blue color with the same baby blue piping on the bodice and will go over his new sketchbook shirt. I have to make him at least one more in the white lining as I love this top!

I traced off a 6-12 for friends baby in white linen with pink flat piping to go on the bodice and skirt. I will be making some rose bullions in shades of pink on the bodice for this one and make matching ruffle bloomers. I am very excited about this one, I have been planning on making it for over two months now.

I also traced off a size 4 for Sarah in the dress and shorts. The dress I added 2″ to the length so it fits longer than 1 year. I am copying one of Nicole’s that she made Liddy. I love, love it! The shorts I am adding a few mods. I want the bottoms to be like the bubble shorts. I have a blue floral with white lace for this. I hope this works out! and maybe I will get this done a four days or so. ….

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

wendy, that’s gorgeous, even prettier than your inspiration, thank you for sharing! It looks amazing on you. I’ve been really happy using the little indigo dye kits you can buy for tshirts on Amazon. It’s so cool (and a bit stinky) to brew up an indigo vat.

justsewit, leaving a parcel on velveteen is not ok! bad cat!

mama_k, is there anything you can’t do? I so admire the folks like you who can make so many things and all so well done.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Absolutely! Can we clone your amazing abilities to get things done please Sharon?

When is the internet calling a halt! Is there a definite date to when you will be online again? Glad the packing is progressing nicely – the kids aren’t pulling things out as fast as you pack them which is a very good thing!

Sarvi, I quite agree!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I really do feel like I never get anything done and I am forever tired. Lucky me hubby was on vacation this last week so he helped out a ton!

The internet will shut off some time this week, we are not sure of the day though. I do know we will see it back on August 6th. Then the job hunting will begin! I made sure all my sewing in packed very nicely and orderly so everything is super easy to find as I need it. I also realized that I have way more fabric than I thought. There is more fabric/pattern boxes than toys. hhmmm, how on earth did this happen????

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh! Do I know that feeling! I was in Spotlight yesterday and came out of the store with NO fabric! Just a large sized self healing mat and a rotary cutter blade – and hubby found flannelette sheets for like $4.95! I am taking him shopping for sheets all the time in future!

6th of August isn’t too far away but I think we will all e feeling the effects! Will you be job hunting? Or just hubby?

I managed to sort the fabric I have out and ditch a bunch of no useable scraps and I think I am starting to see the actual cutting table. The one thing this exercise has not done is clear off the rubble next to the door. Lets face it I need another cupboard and more space! I better get sewing to accommodate he overflow of fabric! All in good time.

Tomorrow I want to sort out the cutting of those work clothes for the kids – that should create a centimetre of room. And then I can get on with sorting out the quilt tops for the show, amongst other items.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

A centimetre of room! Haha! I know that feeling all too well.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Not sewing anything! Machine is packed and ready for the two day trip to grandma’s house. I have my hawthorne cut and prepped, and a ruffled halter all cut out for K and two more lengths of fabric packed to make summer night gowns for me and Kitty. Oh, and a pair of simple shorts for me and a little skirt for her. I’m trying to resist the urge to bring further projects with me. We only have two weeks and lots of time will be spent at the pool.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I can just imagine how fun it will be to alternate between the pool and the machine! G,ad you won out in the end and I think more projects would probably have you more at the machine than the pool and then you run the risk of being a party pooper mum!

I can see the cutting table emerging. I just have to finish clearing it and clean off the bugs that have camped on my sewing table amongst the sisters so that it is fluff free! Ready to fluff up again with this wincy fabric!

Oh fun oh fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 2,491 through 2,505 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2022. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.