Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,461 through 2,475 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

She’s 4. It was not a huge amount of time on any one part, a few minutes choosing fabric, pinning and then me cutting the 3 pieces of the pattern, then she chose the pins and I pinned up the sleeve hem I had prepared and she sat on my knee and removed the pins as we came to them. Then I had her on a chair at the ironing board where she wet the press cloth with the spray bottle for me while we talked about “press and lift” and “look at the wavy seam and now look it is flat and will help the shirt look better when you wear it” as I pressed the seams on the shirt and then pressed up the hem. It was only then she was ready to do something else. So no one part took very long and I was happy to leave things unfinished.

I was thinking that I learnt to sew while hanging around watching and talking to Mum and doing as much as I was interested in and able to do.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I finished my 4th pair of class picnic shorts. I love that pattern. These were cut from a pair of my husband’s old khakis. This was my first pairs using the serger to finish the edges. I love the inside so much, I almost want her to wear them inside out. Almost.

I promised a friend I would make a superhero cape for her two-year-old. Add that to my to-do list.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh there is nothing like incidental learning to reinforce the little points of cause and effect! It sounds like a wonderful learning experience for her.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Well, I had enough of both fabrics to cut another set of shorts panels – except I had to do it on the bias for one of them. My younger daughter was set on having purple shorts so i have to make it work 🙂 We’ll see whether they turn out wonky.

Heidi, my girls (nearly 3 and nearly 4) also like to sit on my lap and remove the pins as I sew. They enjoy it but the older one is looking for something more to do.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A poor week in regard to sewing as I have been poorly myself but I do have some cutting plans.

I would like to make Tilly some overalls from the Tea Party romper is soft brown wide wale cord. They will be good for farm play as she always seem to come apart in the middle.

I picked up some pretty stripe fabric to make a long sleeved Music Class shirt to wear underneath.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Feel better soon Nicole!

I have Tula pink salt water octopus fabric in blue and some lovely matching blue pinwale corduroy to work with as a no one in particular project for the show this year. I have enough for a big size but I have a huge hankering to make something tiny! I am thinking Sunday brunch and maybe the Apple picking dress but then my decision could change in a few days. Smocking will be on the jacket that is for certain and very possibly the dress also if I decide against the apple picking dress.

I have to put buttons on the harvest dress intended for last year. If you would like it for Sweet pea Sharon, please let me know. I think it is a size four.

I also want to get on with the Meg’s garden quilt appliqué despite the fact the move may not happen now – surely with a bit of rearrangement I can find a wall big enough to hang it on here.

Then there is the hash tag quilt that is in bits thanks to sudden lane change of costume construction etc.

All that along with having the kids sew a cushion for their rooms as part of their show projects – had a dream the other night of my son with a great grin on his face while sewing at my machine. A fab way to pass some time without the mind numbing tv in the background.

Can we count that as a neuroplasticity exercise?

LINK

Just finished cutting my second pair of pink and purple cargos. I may need to get a slightly different pink as it is more of an apricot and the other two fabrics have blue undertones. But they look like they will be great. Off to trace the secret agent trench in size 10 for a birthday this week.

LINK

Secret agent trench all traced! And I also traced the sketch book shirt in both size 8 and 10, with 5″ added to the body and 2″ to the sleeves.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Boy, you lot have been busy, and your future sewing plans sound collectively wonderful. Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, N. Can’t have been easy with the kids on holidays. Why won’t you be moving, J? Is it just a delay, or something more serious? What about the Sailboat with cord for skirt or trousers, and fabric for top? Might be sweet for Spring?

So glad there was enough fabric to rescue the situation, rthwg. I’ve cut pieces and then discovered there wasn’t enuf fabric underneath, and so been left with one leg/sleeve, and a halfer. Very annoying!

Finished a 2+2 blouse in raspberry flowered cord with raspberry batik (it was the only fabric in my stash that matched), and plain pink cord music class skirt (my first for that pattern). Miscalculated with extending pattern, so it’s shorter than I wanted – just hope it’s not too short for nearly Miss 6. It’s trimmed with ric rac to go with the Music Class blouse. Case of back the future with the blouse. This was the very first O + S pattern I ever sewed; much easier second time around. Lined the back with poly cotton poplin because I eliminated the button panels, and I was afraid it might be a little flimsy for winter. Intend to iron/photograph today.

Relieved to find that size 4 B Report that I cut out a few months ago (thanks to some judicious extensions I made) will still fit the child it’s intended for, and am planning a Clever Charlotte top, and some vintage flared pants in wide wale brown cord for her to wear during her holiday in Sydney – you’ve have to some posh clothes to go to the capital! And finally after much thought have worked out what to do for Miss 3, nearly 4 with leftover raspberry cord. Thinking vintage pattern with batik – which BTW, turns out to work brilliantly on the bias – lovely to work with, and went round neck of 2+2 like a dream. Lots of other things in pipeline but that’s enough for now. Must get back to work.

NB: Check out Mama Knowles’ blog for her flipping of the Roller Skate dress; really lovely, and so very clever.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I’m very interested to see this cord-batik pairing! Rally love Mama Knowles’ Roller Skate flip … I kind of want to copy it. Except my kids are just so incredibly messy – it wouldn’t stay white for more than a minute.

My sister had a baby boy 36 hours ago and I want to get these Puppet Show shorts finished up today so I can sew tiny baby things. I’m planning a floppy tie onesie, some “skinny” pants in a stretch cord (sized up to fit a cloth diaper) and a little vest. Not terribly practical but I bet she’ll want to dress him up for church. It does stink living so far away; I won’t see this little one in person until he is a year old. Thank goodness for Skype.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Fiona,

It all depends on the season and at the moment we have zero hope of selvaging the crop we sowed back in May. We have to sell sheep due to no feed and they wont be going for another couple of weeks which makes the strain on the hay supply great. Murray may have to go working off farm because of it and with all the work that is suddenly in our laps to reno the house it just isn’t doable in the foreseeable future. Twelve months down the track maybe but we will have to wait and see. We have to sort out lease agreements with the old man first and that is tough enough.

Congrats Round the world girl on your new nephew!

I am free now from all other organised and organised activities so let me at the machine! I am rearing to go!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Oh J, you have all my sympathy!!! What a blow – or rather a series of blows. And I know all about ‘family’ so shall keep fingers crossed that life continues peacefully -even if not as planned. Good to know you have your sewing to keep your chin up, and mind off things you can’t change.

Meanwhile, rthewg; whacko!!! A new cousin for yours, and practically a twin for your little boy. How kind you are too think of sewing for him when you are barely out of hospital. Hope all goes smoothly for your sister but commiserations about the distance separating you two, and your babies. All my nieces are interstate, and it’s tough. But as you say, Skype will at least let you see your nephew.

No sewing today; after very houseworky day yesterday, I badly needed back stretching in the pool (heated, I hasten to add), and then a proper read of the paper, and supermarketing. So here I am, typing again, and a bit zonked. However, after some dinner, I may rally to do some pattern tracing/drafting while I “listen” to TV – have really enjoyed watching “Endeavour” the last few weeks (it’s a spin off from the Inspector Morse TV series), and the views of Oxford are to die for.

Know what you mean about Sharon’s new cream creation; I grew up in a time when a parent’s first consideration as whether the colour of clothes would or wouldn’t “show the dirt”. I remember being shocked the first time I saw a toddler in a pale pink quilted romper outfit. I guess washing machines and soap powders have improved.

Take care out there, everybody in the new working week, and Happy 4th to our American cousins – I hope it’s been a great long weekend for you all.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

All of above should really be the News thread, but you know how it is. Can’t wait to read more reviews of O and S Patterns in the new thread Liesl has started – especially of the ones I’ve never sewn or haven’t bought.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Fiona if I didn’t sew I don’t know how I would honestly cope. We have been through many tough years in the thirteen years I have been associated with the farm. I am just so grateful and thankful to be able to turn to creativity to take away the negativity that seems to be plaguing our lives right now.

Unfortunately part of that creativity lends itself well to doing up a house and because of that particular thorn, I am hesitating in planning new projects other than clothing for my kids – which is somewhat sad because I consider those MY projects.

I see our experience right now as lessons on what to do and not do when it comes to our kids – DO show them to stream their creative energies in order to assist in feeling good about themselves and DON’t go demanding things of our adult children at the last minute without consulting with them first.

Tomorrow, I will run it past the kids to sew a pillow slip from spare fabric and have them make them. I am hoping I have enough Children at play scraps left. That way they can get to make something useful – a gift to themselves.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well the pillow case idea has flown out the window for today. I was up last night with a child suffering from “I had too much sweet stuff at the party” syndrome so today is a quiet day – and freezing cold! Murray came in declaring the house was an oven but I am under three blankets and still cant seem to warm any part of me up!

I think I will go tidy up the nook – movement is needed I think!

Then I can get sewing something. Maybe look at the bits of hash tag quilt with a view of sorting it out and when I am sick of that I will put another dvd of Offspring on and stitch the binding down on Noah’s quilt (finally). And maybe I can get rid of a few UFO’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,461 through 2,475 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2022. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.