Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,131 through 2,145 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

That’s a shame though Maggie! Would be an awesome idea to recycle though.

Pre cutting multiple items is generally not what I do however in the case where lots of shorts and trousers are required, it is convenient to have the pattern out once. Besides I have oodles of time to sew at the moment so there is no excuse to leave them laying about. Normally it is a one item at a time situation.

Just interfacing the respective bits and then off I go!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Oh it is being used. The curtain has been laundered, pressed and cut up. I hope to make progress on sewing tomorrow.

I was just complaining because only sewist know what it is. You get the fabric, then you buy the pattern, then the buttons, thread, etc. Then you research snaps vs toggle and gaze longingly at lovely coats in the Flickr pool.

Then you finally get done with spring break and chores. You sit down to sew and realise you don’t have quite what you need. Instead of progress, frustration.

Harrumph, I say!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh Maggie I can relate! I was doing some (somewhat rushed) sewing for the annual Agricultural show in the city last year and went to sew these red buttons onto the little dress I was making and realised I was short! That was the turning point and I made the painful decision to pull out! I don’t pull out of showing my work and I did because I felt rushed and unprepared. There is honestly nothing worse!

I am looking forward to seeing this curtain turned school days jacket. Sounds wonderful!

My first shirt just needs sleeves, hemming and buttonholes before I can declare it worthy of the finish me off bag – which I take with me to after school activities and also use of a night in front of the telly.

I hope to get into the nook tonight and finish off the navy shirt in order to make tomorrow trouser sewing time.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

It’s so frustrating when you don’t have the last, or first, thing you need to do a project. I found some suede at the op shop that I bought for a school days coat and got it home and realized it smelt like a smoker! I hope it’s faux suede so I can wash it!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Heidi,you can wash it if it is real suede.

I machined washed Tildy’s School Days coat over and over using shampoo and conditioner.

It will dry a bit stiff but if you rub it against itself it softens.

I finished Jed’s rugger and I am on to his trackies.

I loathe sewing knits but at east they are fast.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Nicole, I am glad you are part of this forum. I have learned so much from you. What is a rugger and what are trackies?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Lol. English people say track bottoms for sweat pants, or athletic pants. So I’m guessing that’s trackies. I would have to infer that a rigger is something you wear with trackies, so maybe an athletic style jacket or something. My auto correct is having a terrible time with all these strange words.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Thanks heaps Nicole, do you just put the shampoo and conditioner in the normal washing detergent part of the machine? It’s also encouraging as I had been thinking “I’m making something that can’t be washed for a kid!”

Trackies are tracksuite pants so they would be sweat pants. I’m not 100% sure about the rigger, some type of outer top. Look forward to seeing them Nicole.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Whoops,lost in translation!

Yes,trackies are indeed track suit bottoms and a rugger is a slang term for a rugby jumper which it a fitted sweater with a woven collar and placket.

Neat and tidy sports wear or casual dress. Jed is very muscly from physical labour but has really short legs so we cannot buy RTW for him.

Heidi,I put the shampoo in the detergent dispenser (just a 20c piece amount) but the conditioner I dilute in water and then add as a fabric softener.

I also wash my very expensive suede coat,I like to use an old toothbrush and gently rub the collar neck with shampoo before washing as this is the area that can get a bit oily.

Thank you Jennifer,you are sweet!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m surfing the net looking for some instant gratification that just isn’t forthcoming…

Can anyone recommend a downloadable bathrobe / dressing gown pattern for my two year old

(I have a KikSew paper pattern that I’ve used for the big ‘un, but wanted to try something different)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You may find something here http://www.sewingpatterns.com/downloads.php?d=y be aware that you can print them off but not download them as such,I have not used them.

But if you are desperate……

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I haven’t tried this, but it looks cute and would def be fast and easy: http://www.danamadeit.com/2011/06/the-beach-robe-pattern.html. I would like a robe for mine for the beach/pool this summer.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

That’s a great pattern. I think I could copy it from photos, but i might buy the pattern just to support the designer.

The green coat is done! (Except for the snaps) http://www.flickr.com/photos/87659246@N02/8622401054/in/pool-oliverands

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ticking along nicely with the eight items. Unfortunately we have no power until lunch time thanks to a storm early this morning so no iron but I can still sew.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Thanks for the help. I ended up going with the MADE pattern, and knocked out my leftovers dressing gown last night. In doing so I broke the golden rule of not sewing bias binding after midnight (it’s my Kryptonite/Cinderella like weakness) but I’m quite pleased with it. It’ll be fun to make a towel version for the beach in summer. (on the blog if you’re curious enough to click on my name)

Viewing 15 posts - 2,131 through 2,145 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.