Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I finished Zara’s Sketchbook shirt and cut and sewed the Lisette skirt this afternoon,super quick and super cute!

I shall change my overlocker threads and start Jed’s shirt.

I am wondering about a Continental blouse in my speckled voile now…..

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have started a Banded Boy Bubble for Prince C (a non O+S pattern) I am very excited to make this! He will not be able to wear it out and about for a few months since it’s still cold here but I can’t wait to make it. It has this cute collar and the shirt has lovely little pin tuckes in it. *sigh*

After that I will be onto a School Phooto dress! I have had this cute out in cord and would love for her to be able to get wear out of it before the weather turns to warm. I am making it a size 4 so I know it will fit her this next fall as well.

I am also trying to get my fabric onto mini blots that I made. Right now my sewing area looks like the fabric shop threw up everywhere. It is looking so much better already. I think after I ger this done I will need to sew my skirt and two dresses up for me.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I managed to cut out the pink field trip pants today. But that is all. It was really rather quick to layout and cut but I can’t help but et the feeling I have pieces missing. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

After that pair I need to do a pair for N, hoping I have enough grey for that pair.

Those two pairs may take up the best of the long weekend but if I happen to complete them, I will then be onto something else.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

To all the last three contributers, well done!! MK; can’t wait to see “cute suit” for PC; I’m drooling already. I admire your willingness/ability to make such little clothes – the armholes etc are so tricky for little sizes. I’m just plodding on with stuff I’ve already talked about – you know how it is; it takes so long to finish the last bits that you are well over the project and just want to get onto the next (grass is always greener) project. As it’s cooler here, today, I had to attend to ironing (successfully), and tidying up (not so much). Have a lot of cutting out/pattern tracing to do which should also “tidy up” some piles of fabric/pattern pieces but the really good news is that I now have a ‘willing victim’ for a Family Reunion. I’ve been longing to give this one a go, and the material that’s been “approved” is lovely. So, I’m hanging onto this as I plough through the not so interesting stuff. We have a long weekend approaching, too and they are great for sewing for me; great radio to listen to, and lots of peace and quiet.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

You do know that all chocolate tastes better in egg form right? Seriously. its a fact. I am a deep believer in the goodness of chocolate and a devoted follower of the school of pretty dresses. I can’t wait to get started on Easter dresses, but really need to finish this fairy tale one first. I don’t think anything has ever taken this long before.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It will be worth it in the long run I am sure if you just take your time and pace yourself Meleliza! It is one of those masterpieces that obviously requires “stitchical precision!”

Think I will dive in and sew the pants today. The morning has so far been a lot smoother than yesterday’s fiasco so I shall celebrate by sewing I think. Then go into collect my two fabric parcels which I know are both waiting for me, take the kid to get Fischer seals on his teeth, then come home and sew some more! Bliss!

Might have a finished pair by the time the school bus turns up.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Sort of halfway through the pants but have to stop to go do the errands. Loe the pockets on this easy peasy pants pattern!

LINK

I have Sweet pea’s Easter dress made a month ago, the Bubble with the dots and bow, but now I am thinking of makeing a Martha Pullen smocked dress. I seen that they will be a kit for it but I not sure how great my skills are for this dress yet.

The older boys will of corse have a Sketchbook top and pants this year again. You can’t go wrong with this pattern! The baby will for sure have a smocked baby bubble outfit. All the boys’ will be in robbin’s blue this year. I am hoping to make my husband and I somehting and have a family picture taken this year. Well see what the sewing fairy brings here.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Is it the one on the cover of the white issue Sharon? The one designed by the lovely Kathy Dykstra? It is so very pretty and I think you would do very well to have a good crack at it especially if it is in a kit because (I am assuming) it will be pre pleated so all you have to do is get a comb to even out the pleats (that is what I do anyway) and go on your merry way with the smocking. Martha Pullen does her smocking a little differently to how I learned (the armscye doesn’t get cut until after I have done and blocked the smocking and I always do a zig zag BEFORE I cut because it generally goes into the smocking) but every pattern is different it the way you do the actual smocking with this particular technique that is the same.

So I say, dive on in and go for it!

Im hoping to make ME something for Easter this year – bout time! I’m not sure what pattern yet but let me shrink a little more first. I have my eye on the new Lisette pattern – the dress.

I didn’t get to finish the pants today but I did do a sort of hold-it-up-against-the-child try on. I think they will fit but they won’t look that baggy though. I hope to finish them tomorrow afternoon so I can cut out the pair for N – still yet to measure him for them.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Working on my haute couture via Oliver + S mash up and amazingly it’s coming together really well. My own dodgy redrafting of armholes, necklines and facings have all aligned (maybe my moon is in Janome) and I’m cackling with glee…..

LINK

Tamara that is the same one! It’s so gorgeous and Sarah even keeps looking at it in magazine asking for it. I already toldhubby about it I am just waiting for the kit to go on sale in the morning. That I am wondering if I can even make the roses on it. I sure if I practice a bit first before making them on the dress it would help out a bunch. Thank you! I wish we were neighbors so you coud help me out a bit. 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I haven’t gotten ahold of that magazine yet, but I want it. I’m starting to collect the white issues. The cover photo is lovely, but I’m starting to learn why heirloom sewing isn’t popular. I am currently estimating it will take me 10 hours to pull threads in my skirt. I had no idea and feel pretty stupid for not realizing the time involved.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The roses are bullions, I would suggest you practise on scrap fabric first. You need to use a milliners needle to do bullions so that the wraps can let the needle through without bunching up onto each other. I may get the chance to “show” you via flicker later today so you can practise. You basically wrap the thread around the needle in an anti clockwise direction, counting as you go. The stitches themselves are a cinch! Cable and trellis – two basic smocking stitches. You have done both already in the dress you have made before but with this it is in a different sequence and using half rows so if the instructions half “full” rows (wider apart) then the smocking design looks to accommodate two rows of smocking within a full row of pleating.

I hope that makes sense.

This dress reminds me of the style of an Australian Lady who was a constant and regular contributor to our now no longer printing Australian Smocking and Embroidery magazine. The style is very pretty and girly and very Kathy!

I found this link from Country Bumpkin. I am wondering if it might do the trick to help you practise the bullions. http://www.countrybumpkin.com.au/article_info.php?articles_id=271 have a look, it might be useful.

I know it can be a bit daunting taking on something you may not have confidence in yet. The thing is distance shouldnt stop us from helping others but it is so much better to see a demonstration in person.

Sing out if you need any help. It is a beautiful design but it is much simpler than it looks so you should be ok.

Country Bumpkin have released a new book that I am considering adding to my collection. It is always nice to have a beautiful book to look at even if there arent any girls in the family that fit the patterns. I always love their books – very clear instructions, just like O&s.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sharon,they are bog easy!

You will be fine and they are easy to unpick.

Go make Sweetpea a pretty dress,don’t let supposed ‘perfection’ put you off!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Ah Bullion Roses! Anyone remember the hand towel in Inspirations that had all the bullion roses on it? I made it for my mom and it “disappeared” from her bathroom. The travesty!

They’re fun, have a drink first and don’t wrap the thread too tightly. Mine never look like the photo.

What can we put bullion roses on? I need to go look at some patterns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.