Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,876 through 1,890 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

If you like technical sewing, then definitely yes. It’s so fun to get everything right, and the topstitching looks so great and the knee darts are awesome. I often use adult discards for trousers– twill khakis and cords that would otherwise be heading to Goodwill. The field trip pattern is good for repurposing because the shorter pattern pieces can be placed around any worn spots– might not work for an older child, though. I can’t buy trousers that truly fit my girl– I’ve been making the 12-18m size with an extra 2″ added in the legs for my almost-3yo, and I’ll have to add some more length next time around. It is a delight to make well-fitting clothes. However, I do agree that if you can buy suitable things that fit and don’t break the bank, spend your sewing time on something else! We all get our kicks out of different aspects of sewing.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m still holding out for a blazer and pea coat from O+S. The collars on all the others I’ve seen seem too big and a bit clownish. There may well be some exceptions, but it seems that when the barrier to publishing is greater, the quality is correspondingly greater. The PDF-only patterns I’ve seen are *almost* nice, you know? There’ll be some little detail — an element of the construction, the proportions, the scaling, something — that is just not as nice as if somebody had it in the back of their mind that they were going to have to pay for a large number of prints. That’s why I’m pretty jazzed about the O+S foray into PDFs, hopefully they’ll raise the bar across the board and put some upward pressure out there.

I just finished the LTTS red riding hood cape, and as I was putting it together my kid came over and expressed her intense loathing for it. What the? It was just two triangles at that point, what’s to hate? It took the steam out of me, rather. I also was trying to squeeze the lining out of a single yard of a border print. While sick. And being screamed at. It went about as well as you’d expect. But GOLLY it’s so nice and soft. The stitching is too hideous to even give away, but perhaps Brobee can wear it.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I am working on a sailboat/family reunion mash up dress. I got so excited when I got to the side seams that I sewed them up before I put in pockets. I am too lazy to undo the seams for pockets. Just have to remember for next time.

I am at the hem facing part for the dress. It should be interesting, b/c with the sailboat yoke, the front is now 3/4 of an inch longer than the back. If I cut it even to the back, the hem facing length will be off. So I need a few hours of time to concentrate while I adjust/calculate for the error.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi there, I’ve finished the two A line popover dresses, and posted them on flickr. Lined both in lawn, and very pleased with result. Nearly finished a peasant blouse, and pleated skirt (a la cheerleader) in denim and floral. Just have to put waistband on skirt, and elastic in blouse. Bit worried about hemming the skirt as it has 16 seams. I thought I would put on bias before pressing at skirt length so as not to double fold. I would finish with zigzag but denim fabric frays like the devil (so I’ve french seamed the panels). Very pleased with my sewing pleats down. I used a new Janome “stitch in ditch” foot, and the stitching is as straight as die, and evenly spaced.

Next job – among many – is two 2+2 tops for a two year old, and I’ve just ordered an Apple Picking (small), After School (small and large), and Music Class (large). Spent ages on Fabric Com site because I thought they were offering 30% discount. They are but only on ‘Clearance’. Rats!! Still, glad I took the plunge, and the postage was good. Really looking forward to ordering Roller Skate pattern when available, and SO curious what the third Spring 2013 is in store. Sounds like everyone is well occupied with their projects, and as always, I’ll look forward to the photos. Mostly, I’m looking forward to cooler weather. It’s hot here, and no real relief in sight. Roll on autumn!!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I hate to hear that Sarvi! When Sarah doesn’t like what I sew her she tells me “it’s not mine it’s Caspin” (yes that’s the way she says his name) I guess if it’s not good enough for her it will be his. I sure he would love a dress in teal. ; )

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

No, repurposing doesn’t work for an older child, though it’s such a nice idea in theory. Oldest son is now a size 10ish and there isn’t enough fabric in a men’s 34 size pants to get a child’s 10. Plus, we only really get rid of stuff when it’s worn out, you know? Dad goes through knees in pants nearly as quickly as the children! Once you loose the knees in pants, there is very little left to work with. Maybe if I got my dads hand me downs it might work, he’s much taller.

I always wonder where on earth people find stuff to repurpose on all those cool green blogs. They make it sound as if all you have to do is walk into goodwil and scoop up some fabulous armload of vintage liberty that other people weere somehow too dumb to miss, One year, inspired by all that stuff, I trolled a bunch of thrift stores and you what I found? Junk no on else wanted least of all me. And believe me, I’m good a turning rough into diamonds. The concept appeals to me, since I don’t like wasting things, but I found it an enourmous waste of my time.

Ok, I need to turn this rainy day around and get some real work done. Sheer sleeves to hem, collars to finsih, linings to assemble today! And Easter dresses to plan! What is everyone sewing for Easter?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

HA! A teal dress for Prince C! Funny girl, so sweet though that she’s willing to ‘share’ — mine tells me to throw them away.

Easter, gosh — I think maybe another Birthday Party? It’s such a perfectly Eastery dress.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I do love how the OS O+S er’s sew pretty dresses for Easter,it is usually cold here and we quite often go camping.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I am on a knit kick. I’ve been sewing a lot with repurposed or thifted knits. I can’t get a whole hopscotch dress, but I can make a tunic length –perfect with leggings. I have found some fun striped shirts to reuse.

My husband gave me a bunch of tshirts to play with. The colors are pretty dull, but I’ve mixed in some colorful sleeves and neckbands.

I agree that there aren’t cashmere sweaters just languishing at Goodwill, but it is easy to find T-shirts in a hundred different colors for $3-4.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Meleliza, I really did enjoy the shorts as much as I would have enjoyed making a tea party sundress (my favrouite for sewing), and no curved seam. I set myself up as just as sew as I can rather than desperately trying to get it done quickly. I really enjoyed the way all the double top stitching made the pants look sooo professional. I love the way the top pocket comes together and I really enjoy making cargo pockets (hence at least 10 explorer vests). I’m thinking of cutting double fabric for the knees when I make the pants.

I have made 3 pairs of sandbox pants and did not super enjoy making them. But I’m not sure if that’s because I expected it to be a “quick sew” and it took longer than I hoped, or just the lack of details. I really enjoy sewing or the boys are they are always appreciative of what you make them, and it fits.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I think I am going to have to skip the other Class picnic tops and shorts and go straight to the field trip pants/ shorts instead. Darling miss 10 decided she was going to wear a dress to do sheep work today despite the pleas to put on some “work clothes”.

Lots of cargo type pants coming the kids’ way because of it I think.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Finished Hugo’s jeans and he is pleased so now I have a pattern for him,until he grows!

Next,a pink&white gingham shirt for my hairy bear of a husband.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think I’ll also be doing a birthday party dress for Easter. She’ll need a sweater with it since Easter is so early this year, but it only goes up to size 3 so if I don’t do it this spring, I’ll miss my chance. Nicole, a pretty dress for Easter is really important, though its often still cold here too. I always looked forward to Easter dresses when I was a girl and its hard to imagine a child (or mother) who doesn’t. Well, I mean among those who celebrate Easter. My grandmother even used to buy me hats and gloves some of the time. I loved that!

Anyway, it looks like i may have bitten off more than I can chew. I’ve been making rows of pin tucks around the bottom of my fairy tale skirt and I simply can’t believe how hard it is to make something so simple look nice! I practiced on swatches, of course, trying different methods for marking, etc, but now on the real skirt, they come out wonky! I’m more than a little worried about this project. I’m off to attach the embroidery now, fingers crossed.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I enjoy sewing dresses for my daughter but I HATED Easter dresses as a kid. I remember being thankful when it was acceptable for me to say I didn’t want a new Easter dress. I’m not one to enjoy hoops and frills and lace though. My daughter enjoys choosing fabric and a pattern for special occasion dresses, and that changes my perspective on it all.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh good luck Meleliza! Hope it looks a lot better that first thought. Sewing on fine fabrics can be really tricky.

What pattern are you using for Jed’s shirt Nicole? Will we get to see pictures of this one too?

I have cut out and stuck together the second printing of the field trip pants from the digital pattern, this time in a size 12. Will do a wearable muslin to try them on miss 10 but I am confident because they are a relaxed fit, they should fit her.

Have to measure N again to make sure I am making the correct size. He could get away with an 8 as he has grown up not out in recent months. We shall see when we measure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,876 through 1,890 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.