Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Pattern busting time. I made an Ice Cream dress and managed to get completely muddled attaching the neck lining/outer at the back. It worked in the end but not the way Liesl intended and not quite as neatly as it should have done. I’ve got View A cut out and ready to go so a focussed re-read of the instructions and I’ll see if I can get it right next time…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am making a Tea Party dress for Liddy,love this pattern!

McStitch,is this any help? http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/ice-cream-with-some-body.html

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I do love this pattern too Nicole!

I am still working on pj’s, slowly. Yesterday I had to bake 48 cupcakes, one birthday cake and 20 cookies all that have a Ninjogo theme so I didn’t finish as I was to last night. I have all two tops done and almost done with the third op all I need to do is finish G’s pants today for his birthday. Lucky me the pants are quick to sew!

LINK
    DianaH158 @DianaH158

Finally back to sewing last night although it almost didn’t happen. I took a break, of course with the holidays, then hubby got a virus/cold and chose to recuperate in the bonus room where my sewing is set up so that caused a few more days delay. Last night I was ready to go finish the PJs started before the holidays when I came down with a terrible headache! Thankfully, it was short lived and I managed an hour of sewing time.

Once I finish Lillian’s pj’s I am hoping to make a sketchbook shirt for Henry before getting into some pattern busting of my own – so many to do plus I just ordered two more and two Celver Charlotte’s (trying them for the firsat time)! Whew!

How do you all manage to reconcile your plans with what you actually accomplish??

Diana

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

I always come here when I need inspiration to work on my project list–your accomplishments are so encouraging!

I do not thoroughly enjoy the fabric cutting process, so I am cutting as much as I can today in an effort to just be able to “play” for the next few weeks.

I am cutting:

3 pair of Sleepover PJ bottoms, sizes 8, 10, and 12

2 short sleeve Field Trip Raglan Shirts, sizes 8 and 10

a Valentine color block Ice Cream Dress, size 12

a School Photo dress, size 12

a Jump Rope Dress, size 12

2 pair of Field Trip Cargo Pants, sizes 8 and 10

I am waiting for several more patterns to come in the mail (yay!) and will cut more when those arrive. I also need to print, tape, cut the School Days Coat pattern so it will be ready when I find the right fabric.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m newish to sewing clothing (I’m a quilter) and am SO.SLOW. at cutting out the fabric! I have used both the freezer paper method and the pinning method. I also use a rotary cutter as much as possible, but going very slow so I don’t botch it all. I’m just slow. This is nothing like just zipping through strips for quilting. I suppose I’m just used to being able to go faster.

Anyone have any tips to share in speeding up this process? I would greatly appreciate any ideas. I think this is the sole reason I do not enjoy cutting.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I’m also a quilter new to sewing clothes, so maybe the more experienced sewers will have other ideas. I only use a rotary cutter. (Except for cutting notches and such.) For tighter curves and smaller pieces, I switch to my small rotary cutter. I find it gives me more control.

Do you have a big area to cut? I like getting out the giant cutting mat so there is room to spread out.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

avashmava I find cutting to always take me longer than the sewing. After a few times of cutting out the same pattern though it seems to get quicker. Good luck!

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

Thank you, Maggie and MamaKnowles. I have a 24 x 36 mat that I cut with on the dinner table and do have both a regular size and small size rotary cutter that I switch between. I also use my ruler to zip through any straight edges I can find. I even cut through 4 layers of fabric if I’m cutting the same size same pattern twice!

I still keep thinking that I’m surely doing something wrong. I’m waiting for that, “Doh!” moment when I realize what it is! Lol!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I use a rotary cutter because 1, it gives a nice straight edge and the fabric doesn’t fray as much. 2, I feel it helps me get the cutting out done a lot quicker – the most time consuming bit for me is laying out the pattern. 3, being left handed I am continually finding it harder and harder to get decent scissors that won’t hurt as I cut – they aren’t truly lefty scissors if they do that and now that I am so used to the rotary cutter I don’t think I’ll be returning any time soon. 4, the scissor in our house go “walkabout” a lot so the kids know my rotary cutter is off limits we both win! You just need to be careful when cutting the notches and maybe keep a pair on side for that purpose only. I have had cases where I cut well past the seam line and I’ve had to start again because of it.

T shirts today …. School holiday sewing is hard!

LINK
    DianaH158 @DianaH158

So glad to know I’m not the only one who dreads the cutting. Justsewit – I am a lefty too and agree some of those scissor really do hurt! I also tend to procrastinate the begnnings of a pattern – the fidly bits where you need to add interfacing or press a fold… once I get past it I find I am so much more into whatever project I’m doing!

Made some good headway on the PJ’s this afternoon. It feels good to be back at it!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Have you tried doing all your interfacing bits in one go Diana? This is what I do and it saves having to get the interfacing out with each garment. I cut what I need for all the items I’ve cut in one go and take them all to be pressed then put them back in their respective piles. That way I know they are done and ready to go. I have done the “as you go” method but this is where I also procrastinate and it ends up that it takes ten times longer to make the garment that way.

Try it and see if it works for you.

Tamara

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m with you on the cutting out. When I made hte last 4 Harry potter robes I cut them all out in one day, and sewed them ove the next two. But it was the cutting that i found the hardest and least inspiring. I find it helps me to cut one garment or two and sew those before I begin the next one, it also cuts down on the unfinished project guilt. I also tend to interface all thepieces when I get to the first piece that needs interfacing as that way I often get a little bit of sewing before i stop to do interfacing.

I made a set of wings with fabric feathers yesterday for my playgroup, so it counted as work! So i get to spend a few work hours today fiishing them.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I really don’t mind it.

I use a special wash powder and softener for prewashing my fabric so it smells lovely. I usually put a CD on and just work along. I take a lot of care when cutting.

I probably don’t enjoy drafting as much…..

Thoroughly enjoying sewing a Tea Party dress.

Next is a Fairy Tale for Zara or a Traveller shirt for me.

LINK
    DianaH158 @DianaH158

Tamara, sometimes I remember to do them all in one go but it still leads me to procrastination because I forget to cut them out when I cut the fabric and I dislike cutting! I admit I typically only cut one or two projects at a time so I am going to try to cut a few out before sewing like you all do – maybe that will help too!

Nicole, I agree the tea party dress is such fun to sew. Which reminds me I want to make one for a friend who just had a baby girl – add it to the list!

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

Thanks for your replies! I’m finding I can cut faster with scissors if I pin like crazy–which I also don’t like! Years of sewing straight seams on small pieces eliminated the necessity of pinning. Oh well, I just bought some nice, fine pins that make the process easier, so I shouldn’t complain!

I was wondering if any of you have nice dress makers shears? I have some Fiskars that are sharp and angled, but wonder if “real” shears would have a better angle or are easier to use? Maybe I should start a different thread with all my questions!

Anyway, I have gotten 7 of my 10 items cut out and think I can finish and start sewing pj bottoms before bed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.