Oliver + S

New pattern speculation

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Just realized – there’s no basic tshirt pattern here. Does that mean something else is coming? Or will it be one of the Liesl&Co new releases? Or maybe the tshirt chatter was just something sneaky to throw us off the scent? 😉

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Not to detract from the patterns (which are lovely) but this thread is hilarious. You ladies are cracking me up! the enthusiasm is both palpable and infectious.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I wish we could use emoticons.mI think words can’t express enough!

Oh RTWG I am hanging out to see what Liesl has up her (other) sleeve.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Well, 10th March, besides being the day of ‘The Big Release’ was both my wedding anniversary and the dating scan for baby number two… perfect for the baby patterns, I’m delighted! Any of you with aching ovaries, I am more than happy to take receipt of any teeny tiny sewing projects, if it helps you justify buying the layette pattern of course 😉

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think the layette would make wonderful gifts. I never found the energy to sew layette stuff for my own babies. I spent last night digging through my remnants to see if I had anything for the bubble. I also love chubby baby (and toddler too this should go a tiny bit bigger for babies who are taller than average) in those bubble suits. And this would be easy to make for boys or girly. Imagine how soft and wonderful on baby’s skin with organic cotton voile or double gauze. Or in a solid batiste and the little trims and placket could be from Liberty scraps….

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Dubhels, are you saying that you are pregnant and just found out when the due date is? If so, congratulations!!

~Brenda

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Did you see that skirt as top was a pattern tester (lucky her!) and has a blog post up about the Garden Party dress, with plenty of pictures!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Y’all, I’m so squealy about these releases! The layette set comes just in time for a gift I need to make. I’ve been stalling creatively on what to make, and whether to sew, embroider or knit something! This with some knit booties will be ADORABLE!! WOOT.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So I have to bring this up. I have yet to meet a baby who doesn’t freak out if you try to pull anything over its head. Also, I remember not having the first clue how to dress a baby in back buttons. Babies area always laid done on their backs, so I only ever had baby clothes that snapped all the way down the front. I used to lay the clothes down first in layers, then put the baby on top and button up the clothes around the baby. So easy. Those petite bateau body suits were a lifesaver with my especially difficult second child. I’m thinking the plackets in the layette top and bubble would be easier for a new mom to use if they went all the way down. But that shouldn’t be too difficult to alter, right? All the heirloom layette patterns button all the way down the front.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You must meet my babies Melanie, mine didn’t give a fig.

I lay mine on their tummies to dress from quite a young age too as I use back buttoning nighties. I think if you do it when they are tiny they get used to it. That said, I was a nanny and I come from a big family so babies weren’t a novelty to me.

My children never minded wearing hats or having their hair washed and combed so maybe they are just thick skinned?

I am sure you would have no trouble altering the top to button all the way down.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

No not too difficult at all. Although I was one of those who quickly got the hang of scrunching up the t shirt or bodysuit and popping it right over baby’s head without so much as a squeak from the infant. Of course it did take a bit of getting used to for both me and bubba but pretty soon you get to make a game of it. Back buttons need no shank on lying down babies because they do much of their laying down on their backs. My babies used to hate “tummy time”.

dubhels awesome! Congrats on the impending babe number two. I think it would be fantastic to just try a pattern from the smallest to very largest size for once.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Meleliza you should write a tutorial for changing to buttons in a different area, with your skills it’d be a breeze for you. I preferred keeping all closures on the back because I was super paranoid about a piece of hardware coming loose and getting into the baby’s mouth. Aren’t all those knit bodysuits over-the-head anyhow? Ooh, actually, I wonder if you could do an envelope neck closure in the smallest size if you used knits … haha, I had better make one by the book before flying off into the ether.

dubhels congratulations! Don’t know if you got to use O+S in the tiniest sizes before, they’re heartmelting!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I’m with Nicole on this…….I always wore those knit, pull over the head, Carter-style onesies on my babies, from birth onward. That’s what my Mom wore on her babies so I was used to it, I am one of the oldest of seven children and got plenty of baby duty so babies weren’t at all a novelty when I got married and had my own. I was just telling my daughter 10 minutes ago how I used change my little siblings’ diapers all the time, and they were old-fashioned flat-fold cloth with diaper pins and rubber pants! 😀

But I’m sure altering the pattern to open all the way down the front wouldn’t be too hard.

I must admit to having reservations about the layette pattern because it is made for wovens. Somehow, soft stretchy knits seem the most comfortable for tiny babies. It does say that knits can be used, but I think if you’re using knits you want the clothes to be more close-fitting, although maybe that could be easily fixed by sizing down and adding length. I do love classic baby clothes like rompers and bubbles made out of fine woven cotton, but I’m afraid most of my friends and relatives don’t have the same tastes so I wouldn’t want to give such articles as gifts.

~Brenda

LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

I don’t know which pattern I like the most! What I know is that I don’t have a baby, I need to make one just to sew this new pattern… (just kidding)

I would not change anything about the baby pattern, is exactly the type of clothes I like for baby’s, If I had a baby I would do a complete wardrobe with that pattern, for winter and summer, I would knit a few jackets and hats…

There is something about little baby’s clothes that makes me want to have another one…

I cannot decide between the girl dresses, I need both of then!

What I am loving about O+S more now than when I started sewing is that I think this last patterns give us more options than just a tunic or a dress, maybe now I have more skill than before but I think is not that…

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I can see where I wouldn’t want to be dealing with it in the night, but for pictures or day wear, I’d totally use them.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.