Oliver + S

New here? Introduce yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 377 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi there, Helena. Hope going back to work after your leave is not too gruelling. Fiona

LINK
    DenaJene @DenaJene

Hi there all, I’m Dena from Southern Illinois ( not Chicago!) 🙂 I’ve only recently found the website and patterns and loving them! I’ve not sewn for years and the patterns have inspired me to begin again!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Welcome to the group, Dena!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Dena, you are most welcome.

The patterns are just lovely, I was so sad when my older children grew out of the size range.

Please feel free to post in the ‘What are you sewing now”? thread about your current projects (not just o+s) and have a chat in the ‘Current Affairs’ about anything at all!

~Nicole~

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Hello Dena! Welcome to the group!

We live south central Illinois, outside of Effingham. So we are pretty close. : )

~Sharon~

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Hi Dena,

So glad you found Oliver and S, and us, to inspire you.

Heidi

LINK
    Adaire @Adaire

Hi!

My name is Adaire and I sew primarily for my 3 year old granddaughter. I am retired and recently lost my husband so sewing has been helpful to keep me focused and productive. I sewed for years when I was raising 4 children, including prom and bridesmaid dresses but my first 6 grandchildren (I now have 10) were boys and there weren’t many good boy patterns around. Now that has changed and I’m enjoying being back at the machine. So much has changed in the sewing world during my absence but I am loving learning all about the new tools and trends.

I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Am currently making the Brunch Suit and wondered about the topstitching on the front hem. Won’t the zig-zag for the facing look funny on the outside? It doesn’t show in the pictures I’ve seen. The fabric is a red cotton twill with small white elephants on it and I underlined it with red cotton. I will go on and make the skirt and see if someone answers my question soon.

Just love ALL your patterns and hope to try one of the adult ones soon…maybe the cape.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Welcome Adaire!

Unfortunately I haven’t made the Sunday brunch set yet although it is on my “to sew” list. You will probably get more responses by asking the question in the “Sunday Brunch” forum. Just scroll down the main discussion page. Sorry I can’t help more but lovely to meet you.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You are very welcome Adaire. I am sorry for your loss and I am glad your sewing has been such a comfort to you.

I have made the Sunday Brunch jacket but I am unsure as to which step you are referring to? I will get my pattern out and if you let me know which step you are up to, I will have a look.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Adaire @Adaire

It is page 6 of the pdf instructions: “Hem the jacket and sleeves” paragraph 2. I wondered if the pivoting wouldn’t look funny on the outside where you pivot and topstitch up 7/8″ from the bottom edge.

Thank you so much for responding to me and offering your kind condolences.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I topstitched the facing down as I made them for play (but I wished I hadn’t now, it looks nicer not stitched)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4696167486/in/set-72157625309831824/ I think that step is up to you.

You could hand sew it if you like. I tend to ‘over sew’ childrens clothes, particularly the ones that are worn for play. I dislike mending and often the stitching is not so noticeable on a ‘moving target’.

Sorry, I probably have not been much help….

If you post your question under the Sunday Brunch banner as Heidi suggested you may get a better answer.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Welcome Adaire! Welcome to the group!

I have done this stitching on all mine and I think it looks fine when finished. If you go here you can see all the different ones I made using this pattern. The only time the stitching is noticeable is when the kids aren’t wearing them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mama_knowles03/sets/72157629131948728/

~Sharon~

LINK
    mgener @mgener

Hi there, I’m Missy from just north of Indianapolis, IN. I am a complete newbie to sewing, though I have had my Singer for 9 years now. (Embarrassed face here). I have two little ones, M (age 7) and P (almost 5) and I am married to my awesome husband Ed. (He puts up with all my creative endeavors.) I blog over at My Little House Crafts (www.missygener.com) which until recently has been primarily for my scrapbooking, but I hope to showcase my first sewing project soon! So excited to be here!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Missy, you are very welcome.

If you are new to sewing you will only learn good habits using Liesl’s patterns, but I will warn you, you shall be spoilt!

Please feel free to join in any of the discussions.

~Nicole~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Welcome to so many new people! Nicole is right that you will learn only good habits from Liesl and other patterns will seem second best after this. However, you will also learn good techniques and skill from her patterns that the cryptic instructions in other patterns won’t phase you. In fact, I pull out the instructions from the school days coat every time I make a different coat. Or. I refer to Liesl’s facing method in the birthday party dress even for other projects. I bought the art museum pattern because it’s cute but also because I know that I’ll be able to refer to her directions any time I want to make a welt pocket.

As for the Sunday Brunch jacket, I sometimes use a little bit of fusible hem tape to keep the facings down and in place.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.