Oliver + S

Stupid things I’ve done while sewing O&S patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@LightningMcstitch, I WANT that feature!

I may or may not have done the same many times and if it was inseam just ‘reinforced’ it….

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole.
    LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I understitched a collar on the wrong side so instead of laying flat, it stands straight up!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Sewing the Red Riding Hood Cape from LTTS and I forgot to cut down the button loop! Now I am unpicking two rows of stitching, as I only realised after I had sewn around the outside, trimmed the seams and pressed it! thankfully I hadn’t sewn The opening shut yet 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Forgetting where I put a pattern whilst planning a project and then ordering the digital version out of desperation, printing a copy and then finding the original paper pattern under the fabric I intended to use with it!

LINK
    Audrey @skirtfixation

When I was making the Swing Sew Tunic I got the straps twisted! Talented, I know!!!

Attachments:
    LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Oh rats, Audrey!! I’ve made that pattern only once, and I had to sort out the straps several times to avoid mixing them up. So lots of sympathy.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I don’t mean to comment so much on this feed, just a lot of my sewing escapades seem to result in mistakes!

I have tonight made more errors on the playtime leggings than there are pattern pieces 😉

I’m quickly (always the first mistake, speed spoils everything) trying to run up two pairs of leggings for the baby ready to jet off on our hols.

Firstly I noticed that I cut the first pair out both right side up so when sewn one leg would be right side out, and the other wrong side. I decided that no-one would notice, except my Mum who notices everything…my sister who sews lots and ALWAYS notices mistakes…my husband who will spot the slight texture change etc. All of them are going on the same holiday. Nonetheless I decided to continue.

Then I noticed I had cut them out with the stretch the wrong way. Now, the fabric is a ‘pretty stretchy all directions’ stretch fabric so again I decided to not worry. I mean, the baby can’t complain yet and they will just feel a little like those special stockings you can buy for long haul flights…not a problem surely…

For the second pair of leggings when it came to joining the two legs together I did so the wrong way out. Brilliant. Totally unpickable and very annoying.

I have sensibly turned the machine off and poured wine. Just piling on the pressure for some daytime sewing tomorrow! And I bet, like all holidays, I have packed too much and she doesn’t even wear them!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@LightningMcstitch, that would be amazing! I have it in the car to remind me about seltbelts – and it goes off if you have a heavy bag of shopping on the seat.

The most recent stupid thing has been sewing whilst ill! Don’t do it especially if you are sewing with napped fabric. I attached the frill of the carousel dress upside down so the nap is running the other way from the main dress. I found out after using the overlocker and topstitching! So don’t sew when you are ill people!

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

I have been sewing a few pairs of sunny day shorts. On one of them I managed to sew the elastic one over the other and close the opening only to realize that the elastic had turned over somewhere (face palm). Out with the seam ripper.

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

I was ekeing out some Bedtime Story pajama bottoms from too little fabric and I accidently cut it right side up instead of wrong side. Had to piece to create one of the legs…still came out cute though!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

On doing some simple construction and getting a little sewing time in, I got started on a tiny apple picking dress. The big problem is that I keep for some unknown reason sewing the skinny placket backwards so the folded edge is the wrong way! I have two skinny plackets, both backward!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Grrr….put buttonholes on the wrong side of an art museum vest! AFTER already making a second set of fronts because I wasn’t happy with my welts the first time around!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Oh no, mcholley!! That is a vest that does not want to be made. Did you already cut the button holes? If not, it’s easy to pull the stitching out.

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Carefully pinned the yokes on the legs of a pair of after school pants and stitched them only to realize I had sewn right to wrong rather than right to right. Gavk!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Garden Party… sewed the sleeve in perfectly. A perfectly set in sleeve. Lovely gathers. All in perfect alignment. Best sleeve I ever have sewn… both correctly AND INSIDE OUT!

ARGH!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.