Oliver + S

Stupid things I’ve done while sewing O&S patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 157 total)
  • LINK
    KAREN @Butterfliesandfaeries

So sorry, Cybele! I have done that, too.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

(Slap head) oh dear Cybele!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I know! Thankfully I realized it before I finished the seams together. 🙂 Thank goodness for small mercies.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Haha Stupid stuff part two… Making a butterfly skirt.

Sewing in the am, as opposed to the evening. Thinking I wish I could sew during the day because I make less mistakes because I am not tired.

Using this LOVELY black dotted Kaufmann rayon cotton blend chambray. Frays often. So I decide to do french seams.

Would have helped if I put the waistband on BEFORE sewing the french side seams.

Oh well. I just opened them up about 1/5 inches and will close them back up after I attache the waistband.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

After carefully drawing diagrams to make sure I had orentation correct for the appliqué of my friends constom made caravan I’m including in the denim quilt, I forgot I needed to flip it over so when I ironed the fusible interfacing to the back it would be around the right way! Oh well, I’m off to have another go, this time I’ll add their car too.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh no! The things we do in a hurry! (or at least that is me!)

Yesterday I got this beautiful Cotton and Steel print in cotton lawn. I am making a jumper (pinafore??). I purposefully traced and cut and interfaced and marked yesterday. At 8:30 I stopped. Hubby asked if I was done for the night and I said, “I am tired of making mistakes… I am learning when to quit.”

I know a jumper in UK/former UK places is a sweater. For us it is a girl’s sleeveless dress meant to be worn with a shirt beneath. What do other’s call that? A pinafore?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes that’s right! So the lunchbox tee in fleece would be considered a jumper or pullover (in your case a sweater) and the music box jumper is what we would consider as a pinafore.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    nzsewist @Ann-Maree

When sewing the neck facings on to a playtime tunic I sewed the wrong side of the facing to the right side of the bodice.

At first I thought maybe I’d be able to get away with it since it just folds to the inside but the fabric was dark navy blue and the interfacing I’d used was white and you could tell when looking at the button placket at the back what I’d done.

If I’d been sewing with a woven fabric it would have been no issue to unpick it and fix it. But it was merino interlock! I would have destroyed the fabric trying to unpick the narrow zig zag stitch so had to cut out the bodice pieces again and start over. Thankfully I had plenty of fabric left over and I live in New Zealand so merino is cheap as chips in fabric sales or at factory stores!

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by nzsewist.
    LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh no. The unpick is the worst. I am sewing another company pattern for the pinafore/jumper. And I have to go out and get new fabric because, well, because I followed the directions and they left out a critical step. I did trimming so I can’t really undo. I have to recut the neckline and facings. Oh well. That’ll teach me. The problem is that O+S doesn’t make this particular style of basic simple dress. A simple a-line, with either gathers or pleats and a circle neck. I “stole” my pocket directions from my jumprope because theirs were horrid. Why why why did I think I could sew from another company. Don’t they “test” their patterns?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh gosh I am SUCH a legend! I am in the middle of constructing the most gorgeous family reunion dress for Chloë Jayne Elise and am up to attaching the neck facing. This is the bonza moment when one realises the beautifully stitched in the ditch tab is (oh no!) too high!

Off to unpick and have another go – and read the instructions!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

We should retitle this thread, Stupid things Jennifer does… LOL.

So, I cut a carousel and it is sewing along beautifully. Love the seams, love the opportunities (in my head) for color blocking, french seams, edge stitching (to blend or to color pop), basically goes together like a dream.

I am at the attach the sleeve portion. I pin and attach one sleeve and go to do the other. Uh-Oh. I cut two right sleeves and no left. Because I was fussy cutting to get the print just so, I cut each one separately. Well, I didn’t flip the sleeve for the second one and so I don’t have a mirror image.

Sigh… off to cut a new sleeve and new sleeve band, because I am simply to lazy to unpick a seam, a triple stitch zig zag and an edge stitch. I will have to flip that as well to make sure I have the right curve.

🙂

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Ha, it’s not just you…honestly! I love the carousel pattern for some great finishes and potential too.

To make you feel better, I am making a playtime dress. The interfacing I needed was all screwed up so I ironed it first. It was iron interfacing. I now need a new ironing board cover. #totallybloomingstupid

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh @dubhels2003 that made me snort laugh!
    But I’ve actually wondered about that; what does one do when the iron on interfacing is scrunched?

@cybele727
    I have to admit I was surprised to see this thread refreshed with someone else’s name on it! 🙂 but then, there you were after all. I was cutting a swing set top last night from tiny scraps and was chanting out loud to flip the bodice parts to cut the second. Over and over in case I forgot.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh it got a thousand times worse. But not mistakes. Not enough fabric to cut the new sleeve. Literally missing an inch x three. The website only sells in yard increments. So I hacked up a sleeve with a seam in it. Matched up the pattern on the fabric pretty well. No thrilled but what can you do.

Sewed that up pretty quickly. Then I went to see the side seams. Hit a pin so hard it broke the pin and I saw two ends sticking up through the fed dogs. The pin broke and the half bent in a U shape. Unscrewed the throat plate to see if I could get it with my tweezers. Alas it fell into the machine.

I may not make the B & W challenge depending on how bad it is and how long the repair takes. #crying.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Sympathetic understanding to all; what a pip!! Next one (of whatever you have messed up) will brilliant.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.