Oliver + S

Stupid things I’ve done while sewing O&S patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 157 total)
  • LINK
    homefire @homefire

Not exactly a sewing mistake but related….

Last weekend I was on a sewing spree getting some outfits done for my dd’s birthday and I forgot to feed the kids dinner! Friday nights are pizza and a movie night around here but with DH at the firehouse and all this sewing to do I let the kids play some video games in the late afternoon until time to start a movie and make the pizza. The was around 4pm. Fast forward 5 hrs and a little knock on my door (they new I was working on surprises) and three very hungry children later…… I keep a few frozen pizzas around for back-up so we threw one in the oven speedy quick…… I felt so bad, next time I think I’ll set an alarm:)

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hehe, I have definitely been there, realizing with a panic that dinner needs to be on the table ASAP. Kids won’t starve in just a few hours, don’t worry.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I made two extremely silly mistakes when making up my first playshorts (T Party pattern). First, I sewed two fronts, and two backs together at the sides instead of a front and a back together. Not only did I sew them but then trimmed the seams before I “woke up”. Fixed situation after unpicking by carefully matching needle holes so the seam allowances weren’t reduced further. So far so good. Then, as I’ve lined the body of the playsuit, I thought “wouldn’t it be cute to have a turn-up on the legs with the lining showing?” so sewed the legs of the lining/outer fabric together using a narrow hem. But of course, the shorts wouldn’t/couldn’t turn right side out because the crotch gets in the way. So more unpicking, and trimming the legs so have hemmed them separately with an inch hem. The play suit is nearly finished now. Only trim, buttonholes and buttons to go, and it does look fresh and pretty. But I can’t believe my mistakes, and feel that I must make another pair immediately to redeem myself. In the past, I’ve mostly made trousers sewing the centre front/back seams first, and obviously wasn’t reading the fine print carefully enough.

I enjoy laughing (kindly) at the great posts in this forum, but it just shows that pride always goes …etc, and nobody is perfect!!

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I was just having my morning coffee, thinking about pants to make for my daughter. I was fretting that the Nature Walk pants never seem to fit her properly, and that as she grows I keep having to adjust the rise and even then she has a little plumber butt showing. And then it hit me; 1/4″ seam allowance! Seriously, I’ve made about 4 pairs of these pants, only two of them wearable. So, Yay! to morning epiphanies! And to comfy pants that cover your bum!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

What a great idea, Wendyls! I’m making up my second playsuit, and so far haven’t made the same mistakes as last time, but have had a few hassles adding ric rac to legs – so opting for ruffles instead. Fiddly but cute.

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Well, I can’t really take credit. The seam allowance is actually supposed to be 1/4″! It just took me a couple of years to figure it out. 🙂

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Dear W, what a hoot! Took me a couple of years of using my machine to work out that I could move the needle either right or left; it makes a big difference to the accuracy of my seams, and top stitching – duh!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have just broken my first twin needle, or should I say shredded. I just bought a new one as I am having trouble with them on the machine I’m using. But I

forgot that it was still set on zigzag, off I sew, crash, needle hits the foot and bang broken in 4 places!

So I finished the field trip tee with the zigzag.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

{sheepishly raising my hand} I’ve done that too….

LINK

Ok, this shirt hasn’t had a good run, I turned on the light to take a better picture for Flickr and sizzle, pop NO LIGHTS in the whole house!

Now I know how to reset the fuses.

LINK
    rachelgold @rachelgold

Is there anyone out there who has NOT cut two left (or two right) pant legs before during their sewing life? I’m so absent-minded I’ve probably done it way more than once!!! Sleeves count, too =)

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Yes, I have done this a couple of times over the years, and I have also shorted the house using a travel iron that dramatically died. Don’t know how to change fuses, tho.

LINK

Needlewoman, thankfully our house has the new type of fuses where all you need to do Is flick a switch!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Brilliant! My unit was built about 50 yrs ago, and still has a fuse box in the hall (or what passes for one).

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Today I had to rip out three button holes. One of them got off track some how, but the other two I managed to sew through an extra layer of dress; the fabric was tucked underneath. As I was ripping out the first of the two (which took like 30 minutes), I thought “Man, I need to be more careful.” And then I did it again.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.