Oliver + S

Sewing area

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am thoroughly spoilt.

My sewing room houses my machines,a second iron&board,a telly&DVD,an air con/heater all the notions I need to hand and a beautiful window which let in lots of light and a fabulous view.

My fabric and pattern are stored in the Box Room,all packed in clear Ikea containers.

Half of the room is mine the other the children’s office where they do their homework and craft. When I have babies I have a temporary fence(made from a playpen) that slots in place.

I love it and after my bed it is my favourite place to be!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

My sewing space is in my bedroom , sadly. It was not what I planned when we built our house, but our family has grown since then and there is simply no other place for me to sew. My bedroom is quite large, so its not really crowded even with a large plastic Costco table set up all the time with my serger and sewing machine on it. It’s actually a very nice place to sew; in front of a large window, right off the kitchen and laundry room, enough room for the baby to play on the floor. It just does not enhance the relaxing, serene ambience I would like in my bedroom. Especially after a day like today, i babysat a 5 year daughter of a friend , and after acsertaining that she was familiar with using a sewing machine I let her and my 5 year old have a hey-day cutting up scraps and sewing things. My bedroom looks like a cyclone went thru, fabric scraps everywhere, pins laying at odd places because they evidently know how to take them out of the pincushion but not how to poke them back in, scissors on the floor where the baby can get them. Oh well, I kept reminding myself that I was helping to foster in them a love of sewing and creativity.

Building a new house has been in our not too distant plans for awhile, so I will for sure have a dedicated sewing room then. I just have to keep that vision in my head when I get tired of having a sewing mess inmy bedroom all the time.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I have what used to be the nursery as my sewing room. It’s not real big (7′ by 11′) and is off the hall in our master bedroom. There’s not room for a cutting table so I either use our dining room table or a collapsible cutting table that is currently in our bedroom. I am over due for a major clean out/reorganization as there are totes of fabric along the walls in our bedroom and various crates/boxes with sewing related odds and ends. The husband hasn’t complained yet…if it was his stuff I’d be royally pissed!lol

I’m tempted to take over the dining room and make a proper sewing studio. We don’t use the dining room more than once or twice a year. Currently it has a wooden train track on top of the table! But like Karen said, it’s nice to be able to close the door on the sewing ‘squalor’ so I imagine I’ll keep the space upstairs.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I set up on the dining table, but then have to pack up before dinner each night. Not such a problem as I can only ever sew after bedtime anyway.

I only have one, simple sewing machine, so packing away is really not such a drama. My patterns are on a bookshelf in my daughter’s room and there’s a lot of fabric that’s snuck into her storage containers. I’m thinking I’ll have to vacuum pack the fabric and move it out to the shed soon as we’ll need to remodel her room to make space for toys and her own stuff (I know, how inconsiderate of her to accumulate crap of her own!)

I’d love a dedicated sewing room (Never going to happen in this house) but at the same time I like the fact that I’m still in the same space as my hubby while he’s on the computer or watching TV (the dining room being open to the lounge room). I’d feel a bit isolated if I had a sewing room of my own. And no way would anyone put me in the basement! 🙂

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Sarvi, have you seen the comic book boards for storing fabric? I redid my fabric stroage with them 6m ago, my husband even helped!, it has made it so much neater, I can see everything and I fitted half again fo the fabric into the same amount of space! I do have before and after pics somewhere, I’ll see if I can find them but it will have to wait a couple of weeks to post them as we currently have no internet at home.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Heidi, I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I can just take them out of my, ahem, comics 🙁 That is a great idea, thank you!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I just re-did my fabric stash and used the comic book boards for storage too. It makes everything look nice and it’s much easier to see just how much of a hoarder you are. It did help me to purge my stash a bit. With things in bins, and here, there and everywhere I just didn’t really know what I had. Once I took a look at all of it, there were some things I could just never see myself using so I passed them along.

Jane

LINK
    Mel @Mel

Alright, it’s embarrassing but I took pictures and posted them to flickr. *cringe*. I have a problem and this weekend I need to do something about it! My sewing area is in our basement and I use the closet for the “guest bedroom” for storage (it’s not really a bedroom because there’s no wall). My mom is coming to visit next weekend and it’s as bad as it’s ever been so I really need to clean it up.

Hopefully these are the “before” pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50842074@N08/sets/72157633441024177/with/8723768342/

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I actually cleaned mine up a few days ago… here it is! http://www.flickr.com/photos/59555784@N02/8722739571/in/photostream/

In a few weeks I will have a new space… not necessarily better though. Might be dank unfinished basement, might be kitchen table…

Good luck getting your fabric sorted before your mom comes Mel! At least it looks like you have a lot of space!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

We live in a 3 bedroom house, so the second bedroom is currently my craft room because it has built-is in the closet. I’ll be moving it downstairs into the office area (eventual guest bedroom) in the summer, I’m tired of vacuuming threads off the carpet lol. Eventually the second bedroom will be a kids room, if we have any more,, but we will probably turn it into a mini play room.

I currently use a ikea expedit workstation as my sewing table, and a long buffet table as my serger, ironing station and printer table. I have a few little storage items but I need to reorganize, and I can get rid of much of my storage space.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Mel,

That is NOT messy. I did a blog post about mine when it was at it’s peak of messy (I am embarrassed to share this: http://notsewplain.blogspot.com/2013/02/craft-room-confession.html). It doesn’t look like that anymore. Hubby hung some shelves for me and I’ve spent some time organizing everything. I need to get back in there and fold some fabric from some recent projects but at least my table is usable now. I will have to take a few after photos so I’m not quite so embarrassed. I really am not that bad of a house keeper.

Jane

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Mel, my mum has her sewing stuff taking up both our old bedroom robes and there isn’t any room to hang stuff up when we come to stay so don’t worry, you are not alone.

Lightning, I think the one thing that I am torn between is being in an area where everyone else can be too or by myself in peace and quiet. It is “putting the crop in” time and I usually love to bring my machine inside and set it up at the dining table to do some late night sewing. Unfortunately, my husband recently purchased a microscope (for looking at healthy things in soil) and hasn’t removed it! So until it finds a more permanent home…..

I see using the machine as my exclusive private privilege and would rather be by myself sewing at the machine. If I have hand stitching though, I like to do that amongst company so I am with you for sewing at the dining table. Its kinda nice to be able to have that silent company.

This new sewing area is long with lots of windows but it gets hot in the summer due to the position. It was originally part of the verandah but they closed that section in because of the need for space. It has had many labels, including that of partitioned bedroom when my husband and sisters were kids. When my mil was alive and well, she used it as her craft room because the original sewing room was off the kitchen and you can barely swing a cat in there! When it is my turn to take possession, I would like to have a sofa bed or wall fold up bed thingy to accommodate guests (because they obviously didn’t think about guests when building the house). I think it will be a room where I could go and be comfortable day or night but if I really needed to, relocating the machine for a bit wouldn’t need extensive planning ( the microscope will also have a permanent home in the man cave!)

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I have taken over our joint office little by little and now my husband houses his computers and engineering gear in a closet. Kind of fun to see the look on people’s face when I say my husband came out of the closet last night. 😉

We are currently in the beginning of converting our attic into two bedrooms for the girls and once they have moved upstairs I am claiming our oldest girl’s room for my sewing room. I’ll enjoy planning it from scratch to get the best use out of it.

I have an IKEA desk of drawers (ALEX if anyone knows that one) that we build a desktop on for my computer, I have a long desk on one side of the room that houses my sewing machine and serger and on the other side of the room I have a custom build work bench that my husband put together from four old kitchen cabinets and a desk top. It’s huge and it weighs a ton. It holds lots of fabric but as they say “You fill up the space you have” and I have recently had to add a little cupboard to hose more fabric in.

I also have one wardrobe that came with the room that houses the fabric I sell online. I have a teeny tiny shop so I don’t need more than that but it’s nice to be able to house it out of the sun.

I had plans to claim all of our attic for my sewing room but the rest of the family vetoed that. At least once the girls are moved into their new rooms – some time next year – my husband can claim one of the other empty rooms and finally come out of the closet. (No, I never tire of that joke. He is less amused.)

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Met, that is the neatest “messy” sewing space I’ve ever seen! Mell done keeping it So neat and clean and organised!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

My sewing space is super messy. I seem to have a problem putting fabric away after I finish a project. Partly the problem is having more fabric than storage.

How do you store your pattern pieces? I have some pinned together in drawers and some pinned to a cork board. These are temporary fixes, but I don’t have a good solution. I don’t like the idea of folding them, but maybe I should.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.