Oliver + S

Sewing area

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

I’ve enjoyed reading about everybody’s space. I forgot to add that I have a filing cabinet that somebody gave me awhile ago. In that cabinet I store my patterns, sewing magazines, and quilting magazines.

Also, in my sewing table I have my sewing books stored in it.n

Thank you everybody! It has been fun!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I absolutely covet the sun room. Unfortunately that is my mother’s tv room. (Currently dialing the number for an old folks home… Totally kidding!)

I do bring stuff up to the dr on occasion and moan about how unhappy I am in the basement. Dear hubby will get it eventually, especially once he hears the WeeGee say, “mommy make dat for me!”

You know that’s a tv show I would watch… Sewing space make overs that work!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Cybele, I get it! We have a huge old Victorian row house. 4 bedrooms, family room, dining room, living room and eat in kitchen, but no actual space for me to take over. My fabric and supplies do live in the space in our suite that will one day be the walk in closet. Living in the city, though, I do not have a sunroom. Sometimes I think that is the one thing that *might* make me consider the burbs. If I were you, I would totally take that over. Why not watch tv as you sew?

As I said, we’re working on emptying all the construction materials out of the basement, cleaning, sealing and painting it all up. I plan to include some play space for the kids so i can keep them with me and get some Sewing done. I’d like some craft space for the kids too that I don’t have to worry gets messy. Also, my oldest wants to start with electric trains, but I want him to have a dedicated place for that. Who would have thought anyone could run out of room in a house this big? But 6 people do live here. When we bought it, it was just us and a baby.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I’m in the dining room. It isn’t too bad, as we have an 8′ table and only 3 of us eating at it, so I can shove my bits down to the end and not pick up completely for meals. I have a small dresser there for tools, notions & patterns. Fabric is in a cupboard upstairs, and in a few bins in the basement. We have a 1920s house and there’s still a built-in ironing board in the kitchen, which I love. I doubt I’ll ever have a dedicated sewing space, but have learned to work with what there is. It is lovely and sunny, and I can work on things in small chunks of time while my daughter plays nearby.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I love the old-fashioned ironing boards built into the wall! I once toured this big old house that had a tiny little room that I couldn’t figure out what it was for… turns out, it was the sewing room! It had one of those ironing boards and was just big enough for a sewing desk and a hanger bar. How funny that a hundred years ago it would have been included in the house design! Maybe if we ever build a house I will revive the “sewing room”. 🙂

Nice to hear that I am not the only one sewing in small shared spaces! We are moving (to another small space) soon and I am hoping I am not banished to the dark, dank old basement also!

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

Such great stories about sewing rooms or lack of. I’m lack of a sewing room but I do have this fantastic light filled nook in my dining room. I have a small Ikea desk (how great is ikea for sewing) with my sewing machine on it with notions in the one little drawer. All of my fabric is kept in about 5 or so ikea tubs in our hallway cupboard. Having a sewing room would be fab but I love my nook, it’s so bright, I have a dining table and large kitchen island bench just a few steps away. I can also watch my girls play in the family room or outside from the windows by the sewing nook. I love the idea of purpose built sewing rooms back in the day.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

When I first got my sewing machine we lived in a 700 sq ft condo and my sewing space was also my office (I work from home) and my little girls’ bedroom. Needless to say, I didn’t sew much! Now that we are in a house I’m totally spoiled. When we finished the basement, I had shelves put in the closet specifically to hold my stash. And more shelves above my huge table for all my bits and bobs. Although the kids play there as well they know not to touch so I can leave what ever project I’m working on out. It has increased my production dramatically but I did get questioned by one of my kids about why they have to clean up and I don’t, lol!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’m thinking about what you wrote Mel. Maybe we need a spring/fall clean up your sewing area challenge. After this week of course.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

good idea, Robin. I’m up for it!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I am too! We should have a flickr group with before and after pictures! LOL

LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

Me too! I could use the push to get my sewing area cleaned up. Lol.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the reminder to take before photos. We’ve been renovating for so very many years that we often forget how far we’ve come! Maybe I’ll try to get before pictures of the basement and promise to show you afters some time before the end of the year. But I also need a clean up of my current space – just as soon as I finish this dress! I made a trip to Joann a few weeks ago and came home with a sick amount of summer stuff.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

“But I also need a clean up of my current space – just as soon as I finish this dress! “

Meleliza, those are always my famous words too, but I never seem to be finished w/ the dress, top, pants, skirt. 😉

Jane

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I def do clean up, usually between projects. Last year I spent a lot of time carefully organizing all of it and I’m a much happier person in general when things are tidy and pretty. But I don’t always clean up as much as I’d like.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I keep thinking that if I can just find the right ‘miracle basket’ all my fabric will be perfectly organized and I’ll never have a mess again. So far this basket continues to elude me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.