Oliver + S

Printing PDF Patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • LINK
    JHyden @JHyden

I am delighted to be able to download out-of-print patterns. This week I made Tea Party Sundresses for my twin toddler granddaughters and cut out Bubble Dresses for them. Then I realized my printer had scaled the patterns down by 88%. Since I’ve never had a problem printing PDFs before I didn’t bother to check beforehand – my fault. Here’s the problem: the PDF’s paper size is set at 8.75 x 11.25 instead of 8.5 x 11. My printer refuses to print the patterns any larger than 91%. Why the odd paper size? How can I print accurate patterns?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Thanks for pointing that out. It’s odd, and you’re the first to notice it.

It looks like 1/8″ was added to all sides of each sheet when the Bubble Dress file was generated. (I’ve checked all the digital patterns, and it was only this one that is sized that way.)

The good news is that this won’t have any impact on the accuracy or sizing of the dress. The file is set by default to not scale, so on most printers, the printer will just automatically trim 1/4″ off one side and off the bottom. Since these areas have nothing printed in them, there is nothing lost and the pattern pieces remain unaffected. I’m assuming everyone else who has printed this pattern has not experienced any issue at all and hasn’t even noticed it because the printer handled the file in this way.

It could be that your printer is more picky about forcing a scaling of the page–which contradicts the no scaling setting in the file. You can try reprinting the file, making sure that in the printer dialogue box that opens, you have the Page Scaling drop down list set to “None.” This should give you a preview of the document, and you can see the white space that will be trimmed off.

If your printer doesn’t allow you to do this, and you can’t get the file to print, please email information@oliverands.com with your email address. I’ll look up your order and send you a corrected version of the file. The issue has been fixed now, and a new file is being distributed for all orders.

LINK
    JHyden @JHyden

Thanks, Todd. No matter what I do, the test square prints out at about 7/8″. Since I plan to make these dresses for the twins every summer I will request a corrected PDF.

I just love making Oliver +s outfits for these kids. I’ve learned so much.

LINK
    Susy Wallis @Suellen

i went to staples to print the full pattern sheet on 36″ paper. the clerk said the sheet was 8.5 x 11. Is it supposed to print to the correct size without enlarging, or does the clerk have to enlarge it?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I would suspect they’re looking at the page size of a page OTHER than the last page. You shouldn’t need to do anything to that pattern sheet except print it as is.
    From all reports the ease of printing at a copy shop depends entirely on the staff member who serves you.
    Good luck

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

McStitch has it right. The full-size page should be printed at 100%, no scaling, no “fit-to-page” — no nothing. Exactly as it is.

LINK
    Rachael @rachaellaves

I tried the ‘print at copy shop’ option (they only do up to AO size) and the “Gallery tunic” 2nd and 3rd last pages worked awesome after i stepped her through the process and insisted it was 100% not ‘to fit’. However, I was unable to print my “weekend getaway” and “everyday skirt” as it required 36″ printer. Any plans on updating older pattern with this AO size printing feature? I suggested to the clerk to rotate to portrait and print over 2 pages but she couldn’t work it out. Any ideas?

LINK
    Julia @jsblakeley

I am having the same difficulty as JHyden. The test square prints at 7/8″ no matter what I do. Do you have any suggestions? I’ve checked and the print scaling shouldn’t be a problem.

LINK
    Julia @jsblakeley

Never mind! Solved my own problem. My HP printer doesn’t offer “None” as a print scaling option. The default setting on the print dialogue is “Actual size” which is what I was using. By setting the print scale to 100% on the “Custom scale,” the pattern printed at the proper size.

LINK
    Joan Holt @JoanHolt

I’m working with my first Oliver and S pattern (School Bus Tee shirt) but my third digital pattern. I’m not understanding this instruction. Measure the test square on each page to ensure the pattern has printed to the appropriate scale. What is the appropriate scale? It doesn’t tell me until the second test square. Do I assume the previous test square is the same scale? ie are all test squares 1 inch? I know i’m probably missing something very obvious here! Sorry, but please help! Thansks, Joan

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@joanholt I am in AUS so things may be different… but I printed the first page, measured that the test square was 1 inch by 1 inch and the printed off the rest.
    I hope that helps?
    xx Nicole

LINK
    Joan Holt @JoanHolt

Hi Nicole
    Thanks for your reply. I too am in AUS.Yes that helps. It was just the way it was phrased as if each of the test squares might be different. It would be good if each said 1 inch in the box. Anyway you’ve reassured me. Thank you. Joan

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I hope it worked for you @joanholt

LINK
    Joan Holt @JoanHolt

Hi Nicole,Thank you for checking. Sorry I didn’t get back to you. Late night and busy day. Yes it did. I had similar trouble to others with printing where it kept printing at 7/8inch. I had it on the 100% – which on Mac (or Canon) is same as no scale. I’m not sure if it was the Mac or Canon driving the options but in my print dialogue box there was a button down bottom left hand side which gave you the option to open in PDF which I was using. However if chose not to use that button and printed straight from dialogue box I found I was still printing a PDF file but it printed the test square at one inch. So it’s all printed and material washed. A busy week ahead so it will be slow going. Thanks again for pointing me in right direction. Joan

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My pleasure @joanholt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.