Oliver + S

Printing PDF Patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Todd,

I have a suggestion for PDFs in the future. Today when I went to print up the badminton skort, I only want to print the pages I need and not the entire thing. When I open it, some of the pattern pieces aren’t “labeled” because they are just small parts of the pattern. So I sit and look and tile between pages to see if 4b is part of my pattern piece for example. (Look at page 27 of Badminton, for an example.)

It is common sense when printing that the next page is LIKELY a part of the pattern, but sometimes you fit different parts on different pages, when it is just a little thing.

So here is my suggestion-

Can you put printing guidelines on the patterns… eg: to print the skort for all size ranges- print page numbers 39-32, 35, 37-39,… (whatever they are). For the dress, all size ranges, print pages….

Is this a possibility without too much work?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

@cybele727 Yes, that’s a good suggestion. It’s one that was made by many people at the end of 2014 when we did our customer survey. We’re including a printing guide like this on all of our newer PDF patterns now. But we haven’t gone back to add it to the older patterns.

I know, that doesn’t help you now, but it may in the future…..

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Thanks Todd, I actually was like… I wonder if they’ve already done this to newer patterns? Haha. I don’t mind and was thinking prospectively anyways.

LINK
    Suzanne Paul @theartsypaul

How do I print just the pattern pieces for a certain size?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Suzanne @theartsypaul

The PDF patterns are all nested, meaning the sizes are all together as you assemble the pattern. So with this in mind, tracing would be a great option in order to have your size and preserve the pattern for when different sizes are required.

Hope this helps

LINK
    Suzanne Paul @theartsypaul

Yeah, that’s fine. I just thought sometimes a 9 month size doesn’t go onto another page so I wouldn’t print that page. Thanks.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I understand but in this case, you’d want a 6-12 month size (if baby fits the measurement of course). Some pattern pieces won’t require sticking together in the smaller size range. They are still nested but fit onto the page and it would be say a bodice piece if this were the case.

It will save time should you revisit the pattern later on because you’d have it altogether.

Good luck and have fun making this sweet little dress.

LINK
    Marsha Ratzel @mratzel

I’m so excited to find that, once I looked through my whole Picnic Blouse PDF, there was a single sheet pattern option. You know where you have it printed off at a copy shop.

While I’d love layers for each size (tough and expensive to produce I’m betting), this option is fantastic too. I will print it off and then trace the size I need. I HATE taping dozens of pages together—mostly because I’m so bad at it.

Thanks for this option. I will keep my fingers crossed for layers in the future.

LINK
    Erin @ek903

Hi All, I just purchased my first digital pattern and attempted printing. The scale is correct according the the 1″ test square, but the light grey grid is not printing on my Canon printer (printing from Adobe reader). Has this happened to anyone else? I would very much appreciate your suggestions! 🙂 Erin

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

I have heard of that happening when people are starting to run low on ink. Could that be it? If not, perhaps there are some other settings in your printer driver you could choose. See if printing in color or with just black and white makes a difference. The grid lines are definitely there and should print for you!

LINK
    Erin @ek903

Thanks for your quick reply, Todd! I tried adjusting the color settings, but it didn’t fix the problem. I ended up printing on another printer with no problems. Possible that the ink cartridge was low, but I’m not sure. Anyway, looking forward to starting the project. Thanks again!

LINK
    Melanie @mpiltingsrud

Hi. I just bought my first digital pattern, (as well as the material I would need at another store). Now, I find that OfficeMax, the only printers I can find, wants $26.22 to print only the pages I need from the pattern. 🙁 Now, I have material an a pattern that I can’t use. Does anyone have any suggestions? Printing it at home is not an option. Thanks!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

What country are you in Melanie @mpiltingsrud ? People local to you may be able to help with more affordable full size printing. Also, even if you can’t print the A4 pattern at home, maybe that would be a cheaper option at a print shop.
    Good luck.

LINK
    Melanie @mpiltingsrud

I’m in the United States in the Midwest, but I don’t live near a large city. The closest Staples, for example, is 2 hours away.

LINK
    lakepa @lakepa

I’m in northwest Florida, and I don’t live near a large city, either. I get my patterns printed at a local blueprint shop that has a printer that prints pages 36 inches wide. They offer vellum, a paper that’s opaque and rather stiff. From Amazon.com I ordered a roll of tracing paper that’s 36 inches wide. This paper is more flexible than vellum and I can see through it. The first time I brought the roll in, the shop person had to move my paper to a core than would fit their machines. Now I bring my digital file (.pdf) and the roll of paper. The same or next day I pick up the remainder of the roll and the printed pattern sheet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.