Oliver + S

New here? Introduce yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 377 total)
  • LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Hi Everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

I signed up last year, but never introduced myself and have never really been active on the board, until recently. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am a mum of 6 children 4 boys and 2 girls. My eldest is long past Oliver + S size (24 years old) and my youngest child (daughter) is 9 years old. I have been sewing much of my life. I enjoy sewing children’s clothing as well as women’s clothing. I have a love for historical sewing in particular.

I collect vintage patterns and enjoy making vintage clothing.

I am hoping to venture into a bit of men’s wear in the near future.

I am currently volunteering to make dresses for a ministry, ‘Destiny Dresses’, http://eo-eo.facebook.com/group.php?gid=433206385607 which distribute pretty dresses to girls from around the world.

I have a growing collection of the Oliver + S patterns and I am looking forward to using them for my youngest daughter and two younger sons (before they can’t fit into the patterns) and in particular, for Destiny Dresses. I will have to make alterations to the designs, to accommodate some of the needed particulars for the dresses. I suspect I will make up and send some boys clothing as well. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nice to meet you all……

Carol

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Reading Carol’s into this morning I realized that I don’t think I’ve never properly introduced myself! I live in Atlanta, GA, US with my husband (who I’ve known my whole life), our 2-year-old daughter and 7-year-old boxer dog. He was the center of our world for quite some time, until our daughter was born. Poor thing, he is the forgotten child now. ๐Ÿ™‚

I got a sewing machine about 5-6 years ago and made one skirt for myself from one of the big pattern companies. It was a hot mess, and that’s putting it mildly. I still wore it a couple times, but only with very long shirts! I sewed a couple dog beds and then the machine sat in the closet until my daughter came along. I used to work in the newspaper business, but am now a paralegal at a huge law firm. I think sewing has filled that creative hole that was created when I switched careers.

I have a blog at http://scgoble.blogspot.com/ where I catalog my sewing and also cooking, which is another passion of mine. Although yesterday my daughter said, “I’m gonna throw up” in response to the dinner I made, so maybe I need more practice at that!

Nice to meet y’all! -Camille

LINK
    Mandy1977 @Mandy1977

Here I am, fifteen minutes late to the party! I have been around the forums and the Flickr group for the better part of a year and never came into this topic to introduce myself!

I’m Mandy (momtojack on Flickr) and we have a (newly!) 4 year old boy and an 18 month old daughter. We live in Southern California via NC, NY, Switzerland and Denver. Yes, we moved around for a while before settling and having a family. I highly recommend it!

I can’t tell you how much I love these patterns! Obviously you all agree, but I have to say that the best part for me is that a whole new generation of sewers is emerging and growing and it’s all down to wonderful patterns that inspire us. My mother is a wonderful seamstress who sewed all of our lives and I’m happy to be doing the same for my children so thank you Liesl for the great patterns!

So nice to officially meet everyone!

Mandy.

LINK
    onehappymamma @onehappymamma

Hi everyone!!

I am Emily, wife to Noah and one happy mama to three little ones, ages 4, 3 and 1. My husband and I met in college and then settled in the town in which my husband grew up.

I like to read, garden, scrapbook, bake, run, swing, laugh, watch “The Daily Show” and, obviously, sew. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am a self-taught and fairly confident beginner who spends my rare and cherished free moments sewing for my family and friends.

It wouldn’t be much of an exagerration to say that Oliver + S has changed my life. I have learned so much about sewing from these amazing patterns, and feel so much joy at every point in the process. From choosing fabric to the actual sewing to the final press to watching my kids wear their “mama-hugging clothes,” this is one amazing hobby!

And now with Lisette, it looks like Mama will be getting some new clothes soon!!

Thanks so much Liesl! ๐Ÿ™‚

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Bumped!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

juliamom2009 link ยท posted 7 hours ago ยท 71.119.92.172 ยท edit ยท delete spam

I was reading through the “New Here” thread and I thought about a photography forum I belong to. There’s a section where people who are new pop in and give some basic info about themselves; what equipment they have, what they like to shoot.

It would be interesting (especially in such a global forum) to hear more about everyone – obviously, not too personal stuff so we don’t get a bunch of sewing-mom stalkers lurking here, but kind of like how long you’ve been sewing, what machines you have, how many kids, generally where you are, what you like to sew, etc.

What do you all think?

roundtheworldgirl link ยท posted 46 minutes ago ยท 176.73.127.206 ยท edit ยท delete spam

Sounds good. I can start. I started sewing while pregnant with my oldest, who is now 3. I only ventured into clothing about a year ago, and discovered Oliver+S a few months later. I have two daughters, born just over a year apart), and am due with baby #3 this February. We currently live in Georgia (the country, not the state), but as my screen name implies we travel all over the world for my husband’s work. We have previously lived in other former Soviet republics, and in Afghanistan.

I own two sewing machines and a serger. Both are 30-ish-year-old Kenmores; the first was my mother’s very basic machine with only a straight and a zigzag stitch. I acquired the second off eBay last year. It has a lot more options and came with a walking foot. I love that they are all metal, mechanical and easy to fix. About a month ago I got a Brother 1034D serger. I think this will be it for awhile … although I did just start quilting (like, yesterday!) and feel like that will bring with it a whole new sewing wish list.

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Hi

I am Virginia and I live in Tasmania, Australia on a small farm and apple orchard. I have 2 children, a boy who is 8 and a girl who is 5.

Sewing is my passionate hobby. I started sewing when my son was small but didn’t really sew much until I discovered O+S patterns. I sew all the time now, trying to keep up with my growing children.

I have 2 sewing machines, an older Elna ( my first ) and a newer electronic Brother. I also have a Brother serger.

My sewing has gone from okay to so much more advanced with these patterns. It is like every pattern is a sewing class for something new.

I love this website, being able to ask questions when stuck on something, help from tutorials, and for inspiration in the flickr group.

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

Hi I’m Lisa. Mother of two little girls; 4 and almost 2. We live along with patient hubby in Melbourne Australia. I learnt to sew way back in high school some 20 years ago at a strict girls school. Loved it and didn’t sew again for 20 years until I was on mat leave last year for the 2nd time that I decided I needed a quiet hobby (while bub was sleeping) and purchased a sewing machine. It sat in the box for months until I came across the O&S Bubble dress pattern. Back in high school I made this ‘balloon’ skirt which was very adventurous at the time. This O&S bubble dress reminded so much of it I had to make the dress for each of my girls and loved it. Have since purchased a number of the O&S patterns and love them all. The girls now receive plenty of compliments when they are wearing an O&S dress. Thank you for the amazing patterns. This forum has been so helpful too when stuck on a step in a pattern. The women are so lovely and helpful here too. :o)

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I am a Jennifer. I am the mother of 3 girls, 6 years old, 20 years old and 33 years old. I have spaced each of my girls 13 years apart and been the mother of a little girl most of my life. Before my youngest daughter was born, I was a 4th grade teacher. My oldest daughter lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn, my middle daughter attends UVa and lives in Charlottesville, Virginia, and I live with my husband and youngest daughter in rural southwestern Virginia in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I sewed as a girl but didn’t really start sewing again until my youngest started kindergarten last year. I have a Bernina 350 sewing machine. I don’t have a serger. I love Oliver and S patterns. Thank you Liesl for enriching my life.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hi I am Jennifer, as is much of the US female population born between 1970 and 1986. I go by Jenny. I live in Buffalo, NY, USA.

I learned to sew from my mother and through school. I used to sew a fair amount in my 20s but….. Fast forward another 20….

I have 2 children, a 6 yo boy and an almost 3 yo girl. I am a sahm who is looking to go back to work, although finding a job is a bit challenging when you have too much education and are middle aged, and left my field on purpose to <gap> have children and be with them (traitor!). Tough to compete with young and cheap. ๐Ÿ™‚ I fill my time with sewing! ๐Ÿ™‚

I started to sew again when I made my daughter’s crib skirt. Slowly I have been relearning my skills, like the zipper, but find that new tools and technology make it so much easier. I have a Janome Magnolia 7330, and a serger that was a gift and need lessons on how to use!

When I started sewing again and looking at patterns, Oliver and S always caught my eye online, but I like to look at the instructions before I buy so I know it is something I can do. Plus I thought them a bit pricey.

When a local quilt shop carried a few, I was able to sneak a look at the directions, and thought, ok… Give it a try.

Well here I am, owning 10 or so patterns, and feeling that they are very much worth the price. Sewing hints, mini tutorials, the quality of the finishes, and instructions… Worth every penny, and when there is a sale, look out!!

Now my problem is that I want to sew with Oliver and S even when I don’t need to!

I love the community here and the support and help! Everyone is kind and helps build up each other, instead of tearing down. Love that Liesl jumps on to help and responds to our cries of help! Could not have done my fairy tale with out her blog assistance!

๐Ÿ™‚

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m so glad you’re all posting to this thread again!

Lisa, I’m guessing that your skirt from high school was a Christian Lacroix influence–he did much for the bubble skirt back then.

Jennifer, I’m waving out the window to your Park Slope daughter! Her neighborhood isn’t too far from our studio.

It’s great to meet you all. I’m glad you’re part of this lovely community!

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Ha! So now I can go back through 9 pages of introductions! That will give me something to do when I’m bored at work!

I’m Janice….I have 4 kids, ages 23, 22, 18 and the one who I’m always sewing for now, who is just a couple of weeks away from being 3. I’m originally from Boston (and still consider myself a Bostonian) and lived a while in Canada, and am now in So Calif.

I started sewing in middle school, in the obligatory home ec classes. I remember that because I was short, I had to chose a pattern from the “petite” section and for some reason, the pattern that I chose to make a jumper was way more complicated than anyone else’s. I had sleepless middle-school nights, thinking I was going to get a “poor work slip” for being behind everyone else….

Anyways, I continued sewing, making the occasional garment or costume. Back in my day, you were considered a total geek for sewing. But, I obviously have no problem being considered a geek….

My older 3 kids were raised in Canada, and that’s when my love for sewing returned. I made basically all their clothes, and started sewing for others, then embroidering (machine). Even at that time, I was no fan of the usual sewing patterns – I made most of my kids stuff from Burda for their style, or Kwik Sew for their solid patterns. Then, reality kicked in, and I had to go back to work when the kids were older. No more fun sewing for me…..

We adopted my youngest 3 years ago, and when she was just about 18 months old, I remembered that I was missing something in my life…..a sewing machine! So, I bought a new Brother – a combo sewing and embroidery machine. I still have my workhorse Elna serger, that may be older than some of you who are reading this.

I don’t even remember how I happened upon Oliver + S patterns, but I’m so glad I did. Between these forums, the flickr group, sewing is certainly not “geeky” but is an amazing creative outlet for me again!

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

It’s funny thinking back to the bubble skirt that I made back in high school as the ‘pattern’ came from an Aussie version of the magazine Seventeen I guess. It was 1 picture and 1 paragraph on how to make what seemed like a complex skirt for a 14 year old to make. It’s amazing how spoilt we are now with numerous pictures, diagrams and instructions.

Feel pretty good right now looking back at my 14 year old self being inspired by an amazing designer like Christian Lacroix and not knowing it. Fast forward 20 years, it’s great to still be inspired by designers like Liesl to help us make beautiful clothes for our little ones.

LINK
    DianaH158 @DianaH158

My name is Diana and I am the mother to a 5 year old girl and 2 year old boy. I live now in Raleigh, NC – by way of Rochester NY, Springfield MA, then Poughkeepsie NY and then Long Island (plus a few months in Wollongong Austraila somewhere in there)!

I sewed a bit as a teenager but really began in my 20s making pillows and curtains. It wasn’t until my daughter was born and I found Oliver + S that I really felt like I could make clothes for her (or me)! I really enjoy it now and try to sew as much as I can for them while keeping up my job as full time mommy and part time physical therapist. I have a Brother sewing machine – would love a serger but don’t have one yet!

This is a great forum and I love the Flickr group for inspiration!

LINK
    DianaH158 @DianaH158

My name is Diana and I am the mother to a 5 year old girl and 2 year old boy. I live now in Raleigh, NC – by way of Rochester NY, Springfield MA, then Poughkeepsie NY and then Long Island (plus a few months in Wollongong Austraila somewhere in there)!

I sewed a bit as a teenager but really began in my 20s making pillows and curtains. It wasn’t until my daughter was born and I found Oliver + S that I really felt like I could make clothes for her (or me)! I really enjoy it now and try to sew as much as I can for them while keeping up my job as full time mommy and part time physical therapist. I have a Brother sewing machine – would love a serger but don’t have one yet!

This is a great forum and I love the Flickr group for inspiration!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.