Oliver + S

New here? Introduce yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 377 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Hi Susie, welcome to the forum. As soon as I saw Fremantle all I can thank of is sitting down on the esplanade eating fish and chips 🙂 Freo is so lovely maybe flat S should come and visit you!

LINK
    Susie Jane @Susie Jane

Thanks Heidi, it’s a great spot to live we’d love to take Flat S on a tour!

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Hi, I’ve also been here for a while but haven’t introduced myself.

I learned to sew as a child and started with oliver and s patterns before I had kids of my own. (Lots of dresses for friends kids)

Now I have twin boys of my own who are almost 2. I love dressing them in sweet clothing and while I don’t have as much time to sew as I would like I manage to make them a few things a year. They aren’t identical but I do like dressing them the same sometimes, I feel like its my reward for the challenges :). But sewing for twins is a little like having permanent second sock syndrome in knitting, I do try to make two at once if I feel confident I will like the end result (which is always the case with oliver &s)!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Welcome,I do understand the twin dilemma!

I used to tandem sew so that both outfits were finished at once.

xx

Nicole

LINK
    cinqly @cinqly

Hi! My name is Amanda! I just started sewing last year before the birth of my daughter, Imogen. 🙂 I have shied away from sewing my entire life, despite my mother being a well-accomplished seamstress (and trying to get me to sew years ago!!). However, the sewing, knitting, and crafting bug hit me big a few years ago, and all I needed was a pregnancy to get the undeniable urge to sew cute little clothing for my daughter! Needless to say, I came across the Oliver + S Patterns and am SUPER excited to try on! I received the Tea Party dress as a mother’s day gift, and am itching to get started!! Looking forward to many more clothes!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Welcome Amanda, enjoy sewing the teaparty it is so loveley! don’t forget to add it to the flicker group!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Ah yes, nothing like a tiny girl baby to inspire craftiness!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

HI there Susie Jane! I love Freo! So glad to know there are some more Western Australians on the forum.

My name is Tamara and I have been fairly active on here for a while now but have realised that I haven’t formerly introduced myself. I live in rural Western Australia in what the weather man calls the “central west”, where my husband and I run a wheat and sheep farm. We have just this year taken on my father in law’s property also so things have become pretty busy. Together we raise two children, a daughter (nearly 11) and a son who will be 8 next birthday.

I have been sewing for a good many years and consider myself rather experienced but of course like with anything, there is still so much yet to learn so I really cannot call myself an expert. I love sewing my children’s clothes. I have sewn for myself and I have just discovered free motion quilting. So the sewing horizons are expanding once more.

Amanda, you chose you daughter’s name so well, my daughters name is Imogen also.

LINK
    gy17 @gy17

Hi! I’ve been lurking for a while but just registered for an account and posted a question, so I may as well introduce myself. My name is Gayatri, and I live near Boston, Massachusetts (USA). I started sewing a a bit over a year ago, and I’ve mainly taught myself, mostly using the O+S patterns and online tutorials.

I have a 5.5-year-old daughter and and a 2.5-year-old son. I’m an electrical engineer and sew mostly in the evenings after the kids are in bed.

The forums have been really helpful so thank you all for sharing your know-how!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank for for introducing your self!

Its lovely to ‘meet’ you Gayatri.

O+S patterns are a perfect way to learn to sew.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Violakate @Violakate

Hello! My name is Katy. I have two girls – my big girl is 9 and my little girl will turn 1 in September. I made all of my older daughters clothes from age 3-7, then we started supplementing a bit. I generally regret the RTW purchases I make because the clothes just don’t last. I’d rather make a pair of leggings myself then repair RTW that falls apart after a few wearings. Most of the clothes we buy come from the thrift store because when you buy used you have a good idea on how something will wear and if it wears out quickly it doesn’t hurt so much because the investment was low. My sewing for Alice, my big girl, mostly consists of dresses and skirts right now. And undies. Oh, and a raincoat, she has informed me. 🙂 I have just started sewing for Louisa, my baby. While I was pregnant I smocked her several 12 month size dresses, figuring she would be able to wear them this summer. Unfortunately she has some complex medical issues and is teeny tiny. She might fit into her smocked dresses next summer. Right now she is 16 pounds and wears a 3-6 month size. I am thrilled to find designs in small sizes that don’t look babyish. I have the puppetshow tunic and shorts all cut out for Lou.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Welcome Katy.

What luck you found oliver+s for your tiny wee girl. We are so glad you have joined us.

~Nicole~

LINK
    hellomynameisivy @hellomynameisivy

Hi. I’m Ivy. I live in South Florida, USA, and have two teenage daughters. I’m a quilter and that’s all the sewing I’ve ever done–mostly piecing. I haven’t bought more than a yard of fabric in ages, but I would like to sew a simple dress. I saw the Diplomat dress advertised on the Modern Quilt Guild blog and thought it looks simple enough for me to try. I am really challenged when it comes to following instructions. I’m just wondering if this dress is really simple to make, like for someone with absolutely no sewing experience, or if I should try something else. I guess I should post this elsewhere if I get no response 🙂

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Ivy. I should be able to answer your question as I cut out exactly this pattern about a month ago. But I just haven’t got around to sewing it yet….

I say go for it, but then I take no responsibility for any expensive fabric you hack into 🙂 Trial and error is how I learned to sew, along with some fantastic instruction through the Oliver + S patterns and tremendous help from these forums. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not always creating successful garments, but it doesn’t seem like failure when you have fun along the way.

I’m sure you’ll do a great job! Welcome to the forum.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

HI Ivy, as a previously ‘only quilts’ sewist, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly you’ll make the transition to dress making. If you can follow quilt construction instructions, you’ll be fine with sewing instructions, and your previous experience in controlling your machine, and pressing with your iron will stand you in good stead – so many sewists really have to learn how to get their iron to work for them. I know what you mean about fabric amounts, tho. It’s one of the reasons I resumed dressmaking for children – discovering O and S patterns, and wanting to use up all my half and 1 yard pieces of cotton. Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.