Oliver + S

flickr changes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • LINK
    rastis @rastis

with all the crazy changes to flickr i can’t download the oliver + a flickr group anymore (it takes 30 mins just to bring up a few pictures)… i’m wondering if the group will be staying where it is?

and what about all of you who post your great creations to flickr? will you be staying there? moving onto another photo sharing site?

i miss seeing everyone’s creations 🙁 i have no idea where i will put my pictures… i’ve been sewing recently too… but really don’t have it in me to post to the new flickr

what’s everyone doing?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am in a similar boat V, my internet is so slow with the new flickr, it just takes too long to load the page.

I am heading to the city soon and I will take my laptop in to Macca’s and use their free wifi.

Then I shall have a coffee and check out everyones sewing.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Liesl was just complaining about this yesterday….

The link you use to access the group might make a difference. Here are two ways to get in the front door:

Oliver + S Class Picnic & Sailboat

Oliver + S Class Picnic & Sailboat

For those of you with issues, does one or the other work better?

LINK
    rastis @rastis

todd the first one works better than the second for me, but it’s still snail’s pace slow, like 10 mins to load 7 out of the 12 pictures on the homepage!

we’re on broadband where we are in australia (have to be for my hubby’s work) and no other site is anywhere near this slow to load… i’ve asked a heap of questions to the flickr staff about what’s going on and if they have plans to fix/change anything and so far no answers after a week (there’s been about 30,000 comments almost all negative on the flickr site and no one seems to be getting any answers at the moment)…

i really hate not being able to check out what everyone’s sewing (especially when i’m so very pregnant at the moment and am limited in what i can sew myself :)!

if flickr’s going to stick with these changes, will o + s and all you other lovelies be moving sites? my flickr pro’s paid up for a few months yet, but i really can’t cope with the downloads and the time it takes to load just a few pics 🙁 i really want them to fix things up as i have so many pics and years invested into my flickr account, but i can’t see me staying with it, if it remains the same…

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I thought it was just because I had changed to a tablet in the last couple of weeks that it was behaving oddly, but it looks like there are real changes!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I just jumped on through the tab on the homepage of this site and it loaded fine. I initially thought it was a bit weird when I saw the changes but I have been a little busy of late to sit down and really check it out. Not to mention sluggish internet!

I’m really sorry not to be of more help on this matter but I do hope it is sorted soon because I would hate for us all to up sticks and move (and have to set up yet another account).

Heidi, I use the flickr app to get in if you have a non android tablet – pretty sure there is one for android too if yours is. It is easy to upload your photos and see what everyone is creating when you don’t want to go through the Oliver and s site that is. Have to admit the link is very handy.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

It’s android, I have been planning to get the app hoping it would make things easier, glad to know it works well, thanks.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

i think it’s supposed to load better on ipads/iphones… i haven’t yet tried to load it on the ipad/iphone… i barely use the ipad at all… usually i use my laptop for everything as it’s where i do my other work and it makes sense for me

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I expressed myself in strong language elsewhere. The visual clutter, broken functionality, slow load times, and what feels like (yet another) deliberate attempt to totally kill flickr (I have been a paid user since 2007) have done it for me and I am not using it anymore.

I have been exploring other options like 500px and Ipernity and currently am leaning toward Ipernity. 500px seems to be designed for professional photographers and could be a good choice for folks who are interested in selling their images or building a professional portfolio (bloggers, not necessarily just fine artists). Ipernity is pretty rough, still, with a lot less functionality than the last iteration of flickr. 7 French programmers doing everything, including handling an enormous influx of flickr refugees. They’re doing their best to handle the massive uptick in traffic and questions and requests in what is not their native language, and seem to be doing pretty well, though obviously it must feel like baling with a spoon. Just having some visual breathing room on the page and feeling like I’m dealing with a company that gives a hoot make it worthwhile for me and if I find I am making good use of their free service for a few more weeks I will sign up for the paid service and seek a refund from flickr, which I will no longer be checking.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

They have made a jumble of things.

Todd, the first link works quite well for me, thank you.

The second just gets me the ‘tuna blaster’…..

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

The new Flicker is such a stinker! I have to upload my photos the old way, the new spot to upload does not work for my either and we have high speed internet. I totally hate the black back ground, why did they have to change it??

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes the whole new look is off! I don’t like the black background either.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I’ve been spending a lot less time on Flickr looking at pictures because of the new set up. Good for my general productivity but I miss seeing all the wonderful creations from my fellow O+S fans!

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I think it depends on what you use Flickr for…..I only have my sewing photos there. I put my other photography endeavors elsewhere….I have a personal photo site for my family photos, etc. I put my sports photography photos on a Nikon affiliated site.

One of the features that I used to use quite a bit seems to be gone (or maybe I’m missing it…) – I used to always go to the group photos, then search a particular pattern, then sort by “most interesting” – especially when I’m starting on a new pattern and needed motivation/inspiration.

I actually like the mobile app for the most part. That at least was an upgrade. I previously wasn’t able to view my “groups” and now I easily can.

I think I’m still more annoyed at the demise of Google Reader….

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Ditto Ditto to all of the above; when I’m alerted to a “contact”‘s photo, I can see it quite quickly, but the black bkgd is not attractive. Haven’t looked at the O+S Group generally for a while -tend to do that at library. With no disrespect intended whatsoever to all the lovely, supportive husbands/partners of forum members, I bet it was a bloke who thought this was a good idea!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.