Oliver + S

flickr changes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I just went to see. It’s awful! It actually gave me a headache.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It’s not only slow to load, it takes much longer to use! I hate when things become less efficient. Facebook keeps doing that too, which is also annoying.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

I agree, it is slower than the usual slow ( I have satellite, my only “fast” option) and then when it finally loads, there are 3,4,5 pics of one project. I get annoyed to say the least, wanting to see numerous projects only to have one or 2 folks monopolize the site. Moderator, we have had many discussions requesting that folks upload only 1-2 pics for a project but I have to assume some folks do not follow the discussion board. Would it be possible to send these folks a polite note asking them to remove the excess photos so that more projects can be seen within the slow time it takes to load? I cannot imagine anyone would object to this once it is pointed out to them. When I see an interesting project I always click on the sewist’s name to see more photos or blog links but I NEVER do that with folks who upload many photos and monopolize the O+S flickr site.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m a moderator here on the discussion board but until somebody tells me otherwise, my understanding is that my job is to remove spam, or if a thread can be more easily found in one forum than another (say, a thread about lining the Tea Party that’s in the main sewing forum) to move it. I try to participate when I can and answer questions, welcome new folks, and so forth, but I would feel I was overstepping if I were to address somebody individually about photos in the flickr group. I think you should feel free to ask politely as an ordinary citizen, so to speak, since it won’t come off as though you’re assuming more authority than you have?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that Flickr is hearing complaints from a LOT of people about the new design. Be patient with them and maybe they’ll make some NEW changes that will serve us all better. My experience with them has been really positive to date. They seem pretty responsive. Or even better, let them know the new site design isn’t working for you and light a fire under them!

Anyway, I’m having the same experience with the site. Let’s give them a week or two to see what they can do and then we can decide how to proceed. Sound good?

With regard to posting multiple photos on the Flickr group, I’ll see if I can add a note requesting just one or two photos so you’re not waiting too long for photos to load. I’m always glad to see how excited people are to share their creations, but I’m viewing via superfast bandwidth, too!

I hope that helps!

LINK
    Greenpip @Greenpip

Yes the new Flickr has been driving me up the wall too! Having looked at the Flickr help pages one quick solution I’ve found to the download speed is to change the view on group pages from justified to small or medium – this gives you more of a classic view. Both sizes are allowing me to download 70 odd pics in the O+S Flickr group in under 30 seconds on both my desktop and ipad. I hadn’t realised it was the justified view that they imposed on everyone that was slowing things down so much.

To do this click on the second of the links Todd provided and on the far right of the page where it says ‘views’ select the word ‘justified’. A drop down menu should appear and you can choose the size you would like – I’d suggest small or medium but try a couple of different options to see what works best for you.. This should speed up getting pictures enormously. Alas it doesn’t help with all the new Flickr problems but at least gets browsing all those lovely items back.

Cheers

Lee

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Lee!

I agree with Sarvi, we cannot do more then suggest and the last thing we want is people to feel unwelcome.

I quite like ‘broken down view’ of the garment, say a close up of the collar, then the pocket and the front and back view of the dress.

I enjoy seeing the details.

I have noticed a few groups requesting 2-3 photos only and it does not offend me a jot!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I think it was said in the other Too Many Pictures Per Garment thread, but I think the solution may end up being a limit per day of, say, 3 images. I imagine this can be set up by whoever created, or moderates, the Flickr group. This is the case with the Spoonflower fabric group. If there are some really important pictures that must be added, one can always come back tomorrow to upload them. I suspect we just get carried away with the adorableness of our kids and our wonderful creations, and if a limit was placed on how many pictures could be uploaded in a 24 hour period, we’d simply have to choose the BEST modelled photo rather than half a dozen.

I’ve not noticed any change to Flickr other than the ugly black background, so I don’t mind what they’ve done. However I only use it for sewing photos and then only cause you lot do, so I’ll sheepishly follow wherever everyone else goes, just don’t forget to tell me where you’ve gone…..

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’m with Nicole….I like to see the “guts.” A limit seems fair, though. I would hate for someone to feel singled out and therefore not feel welcome. (Purely for selfish reasons as then I would personally miss out on them sharing their talent and be unable to glean all the free inspiration.)

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The limit is fair, I don’t mind it a anyway as I don’t upload all the time and when I do I upload maybe four maximum mostly. So going one less wouldn’t bother me, I would save the rest for the next day and just have them sitting there ready.

I agree with Liesl in that we need to give flickr a chance. Besides I am guessing it would mean research and threads alerting people and and a new bit on the site to let us have a shortcut – sounds like work and bother to me.

Lee how very observant of you! That just might help us calm the nervous anxiety a bit.

Tamara

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would find the limit of 3 rather restricting as when I upload l tend to do half dozen different projects at once.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I think the issue is not one person uploading pictures of 6 different items, it’s 6 photos of the same item that causes problems for those with slower loading. I believe what is being suggested is 3 or so photos per sewn item as a max.

I dislike the new Flickr changes and find it much less user friendly for quick commenting and easy navigation.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

For those having trouble uploading, it might be your browser. When I use IE I can’t upload like normal, but I used google chrome and had no problems.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh my goodness. I want to add my totally worthless two cents. Flickr is horrid. That black is so visually jarring and takes away from my viewing experience. The other weird thing is that when I log in, the major large picture is from Mrs. Kanuckles stream. No offense, but the first thing I see shouldn’t be a picture in someone else’s stream (as lovely as your pictures are!!).

LINK
    Anonymous @

Well, I’m very late to this party, but I also don’t like the black background and split screen for individual pictures. I actually like the justified view for group pools quite a lot and I love the new mobile app. I really wish they would put the individual pages back to the way they were. It makes me dizzy popping up and down from the comments section to the photo. The homepage is absolutely horrible, but I rarely go to the homepage, so I’m not bothered by it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.