Oliver + S

Digital vs. Paper?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • LINK
    Denise Rose @droseball

Hello! I am new to these patterns as I have new girl (and boy) grandbabies (twins!). They are now toddlers actually and I want to do some sewing for them. I have long admired these oliver & s patterns online and have a ? before I order. I am a digital person, but I wanted advice on how to decide which to buy, digital or paper? What are the pros/cons of each format? Thanks so much!

LINK
    Denise Rose @droseball

I think I might have answered some of my own question already! Am I right in that not all patterns of oliver & s are offered as a paper pattern? It looks like that some are only offered in digital?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi Denise! You’re right, the patterns that went out of print are now happily available in digital, and some have been digital-only from the beginning. This is a popular topic, so if you don’t mind, I’ll give you a quick recap and then try to dig up some of the older links.

Pro-Paper
    The nice quality of the physical patterns
    Can’t lose due to computer glitch
    No need to take to printer’s bureau or print & tape at home
    No additional printing cost above cost of pattern

Pro-Digital
    If you lose your printout, you can print as many more as you like
    “Instant” deliver/No shipping cost
    More options for how you store it
    Some people prefer the heavier weight of the print bureau paper

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Here are a few older links:

To those that prefer digital patterns

Digital Patterns

Digital vs paper? How about a combo?

Oh and congrats on the babies/toddlers!

LINK
    Denise Rose @droseball

Oh thanks so much Sarvi! You are so helpful! I read all the links and feel so educated now! I am going to download a digital version and figure out all that printing stuff. Thanks again for your help! I searched but apparently I didn’t find any of those links so I must not have searched correctly!

Denise 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, no worries, I had the advantage of knowing which threads I was looking for 🙂 Please give a shout if we give you any help with printing and such!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Just popping in to say that if you already like digital you will love these ones
    Rather then glueing together a huge sheet one pieces just the patterns pieces
    It will make sense when you print

A big welcome to you!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Another pro digital: no tracing the original. Since you can print as many times as you like, you don’t have to trace the originals on tissue, parchment, swiss, freezer, or whatever paper. You can print, tape, and cut without worrying about nested sizes.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I still draft mine off, I dislike working with the stiff paper. I find the glued sheets fold nicely and I store them in a ziplock bag.
    The paper sheets are far nicer to trace then tissue.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes I still draft mine also but sometimes I cheat and use the paper pieces for the parts that are one size for the whole size range (ie pockets on the puppet show shorts).

So I am intrigued Denise, which pattern did you decide on first?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I don’t see it as ‘cheating’, just whatever method you prefer.
    I can definitely see the ease in printing and cutting the paper pattern if you are only using that size once.

LINK
    Denise Rose @droseball

Yall are so helpful!! And with what to do first, I can reall picture that ice cream dress in my girl twin grandbaby so I think I’m doing that first. They are staying with me this upcoming week so no sewing for me until they go back home! They keep me really busy at 21 months! Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

How exciting Denise (my twin ‘babies’ are 15)!

I can’t wait to be a Nana.

LINK
    Rosie @CreativeRose

I bought a digital pattern the other day, and went to get it printed at a print place, alas it doesn’t fit on A0, the largest I can get printed here in Australia at my local print place :-(. For this reason I would pick paper patterns. You can tape the digital together but I find them harder to store and prefer one big piece of paper.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Yes, digital patterns currently available are not sized to be printed on A0 paper–which, by the way, seems to be an Australian standard not used most other places.

Starting with our Spring 2015 patterns, though, we will be included A0 layouts for those of you Down Under.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.