Oliver + S

Digital Patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Hi there, I am contemplating purchasing a digital pattern and am wondering how they come? I have a regular old printer. Is it 1 pattern piece / 8.5/11 piece of paper ? Or do you have to tape pieces together to get a complete pattern piece?

Any feedback is helpful.

happy sewing, Purlknitpurl

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not printed my PDF pattern yet-whoops,there is another for the ‘Dead Horse Challenge’,but generally they require piecing together and then you can trace or cut.

I store my PDF’s in a poster tube.

I hope you get a more precise answer.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I purchased the Hula Hoop skirt pattern, and it required taping the printer-paper pieces together, then tracing to get a complete pattern piece. I think there is also a way to print on a large-scale printer at a print shop, though? Not sure how that works. I found taping/tracing to be straightforward and easy enough for it not to be a bother. I trace my patterns anyway, so that I can use all the sizes, and if anything it was easier to not have to cut apart the big pattern paper.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have the digital sand box (larger sizes), Teaparty (both sizes). They print out on regular computer paper. Some of the tea party pieces (like the bodice) print out on their own sheet which is nice and the lager pieces tend to be over multiple sheets. It definitely makes it easier to trace when the pieces are on smaller pieces of paper!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Cut apart the big pattern paper! Shocking! Haha, not really. My daughter has taken to piling things up in a ‘nest’ and then being a mama bird and stomping around in it. I’m one John Lennon CD down, two hats crushed but salvageable. Probably just a matter of time before she gets into my patterns but for now my preciouses still get preserved whole and folded back up on the original fold lines, despite the nuisance.

LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful answers! I am specifically thinking of the Puppet Show pattern for the little sizes–wanting to make the dress version. Sounds like I will need to tape, but that it’s no big deal. Thanks again! Purl

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Purl,

While I don’t have any Oliver and S digitals, I do have other digital patterns. I print cut and tape. What I like about them, although perhaps somewhat wasteful, is that I can print and cut to the size I need. Then I can cut the fabric with the pattern still pinned on. If I need another size, I just print another one up.

I actually like my digitals for that reason. Then I can cut with the patterns attached and it is faster than transferring lines via the transfer paper and wheel, and I don’t have to feel bad about “cutting” the pattern out and worrying about what to do for a larger size. 🙂

Like I said, perhaps a bit wasteful, but yet, I prefer efficiency over, um, paper waste when it comes to sewing. 🙂

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have used the larger one page PDF from oliver + S. I just sent it to the printer and it prints out the same size as the paper patterns does, no pieceing together required. The best part is that it only cost around $2. I love it!

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I agree with cybele. I have printed several copies and just have a copy for each size that i use. I haven’t actually bought a paper O+S pattern yet so I don’t know how they come, but i like the thickness of regular printer paper compared to standard tissue paper patterns. I wonder what takes more time… taping or tracing? Might be close?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am spoilt as my 15 year old son prints and tapes them together for me in exchange for computer time.

I would think once you got into the mind step of PDF’s it would be easier to use them.

I just love the romance of the tissue.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Wha a great idea Nicole! My oldest son would be happy with this deal too.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Has anyone had the problem of patterns not printing? I downloaded the Sailboat and the Playdate, they went into my inbox and I printed out the Playdate and was able to view the Sailboat, but I ran out of ink so I was not able to print out the sailboat at the time. The next time I opened up Adobe to print (about a week later, I had not been worried about the link expiring because I had been able to view the pattern already), it said there was no file found. I know that this is a software issue but it is not in any of my downloaded folders or anything. I’m so distraught as they are both gone! My husband says that there could have been a problem with the file itself so our virus software eliminated them. I can’t really afford to pay twice, and to not be able to use the Sailboat at all after buying it really sucks.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Reeni, send Todd an email at information@oliverands.com

I am sure he will be able to assist you.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

TI think the initial link you get with the email is only valid for 24hrs or so (I think), so you need to specifically download/save them to your computer. I’m not sure where it states this (it may be in the purchasing process) as it’s not on the pattern info before you buy (I just checked). I second sending the email to Todd. I can relate to running out of ink! When I bought the Teaparty Sundress to make it for a gift that weekend, not only did I run out of ink but halfway to the store one of those warning lights came on in the car!

LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Hello, here is O + S digital pattern policy http://oliverands.com/about/faq/digitalpolicy

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.