Oliver + S

Which patterns can I make with less than a yard?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The Sunday Brunch make up with little fabric,particularly if you bind the hem and use a contrast for the pockets which can look so cute http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/7995421745/in/photostream/ .

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

That is really cute! This is starting to be a good reference. I’m going to look at swing set. I don’t have that one. I’m also not sure she’s ready for skirts yet. Otherwise, there’s no better use for a stray 1/2 yard of fabric that the lazy days skirt. Perhaps I’ll make some of them for friends just to clear out the fabric.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I was impressed with how little fabric the swingset skirt used. Cause it’s angled to be on the bias it’s not as wide as the Hopscotch skirt, yet just as “full”.

BeachMom has a wonderful sleeveless Sailboat top on her Flickr pool that I’m going to copy (one day) with a tiny remnant of a spotty knit fabric.

The other one’s I’ve seen that I love are the Class Picnic tops using the patterned fabric for the front and back panels and a co-ordinating plain fabric for the sleeves/shoulders. I imagine there’s not too much fabric in those centre panels.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

Yes on the tea party for sure! I love using mixed and matched fabrics on that for the skirt panels and the lining and hem. The pieces are really very small and if you cut each piece one at a time and fold the fabric each time you can get maximum use. I was able to get two whole sets of tea party skirt panels (size 4 and “6”) and one lining out of 1.5 yards. I was also able to make two sailboat skirts (size 3 and 6) and a pair of sailboat pants (18 months) from two yards of fabric (with a big chunk left over)– I did use different fabric for these facings though. I have a bunch of 1 yard or less pieces I need to find projects for too.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m finally at the computer with my ideas book and the page titled “Pattens usig 1/2 yad or less” (translation ‘Pattens using 1/2 yard or less’)

Badminton – skirt, top and contrast, dress contrast

After school pants – accents

Class picnic shorts – accents and small sizes

Music class skirt – small sizes and using multiple contrasting/co-ordinaintg fabrics for panels

Ice Cream dress – View B has 4 horizontal stripes

Tea party – dress or playsuit – contrasting bodice and skirt panels, bloomers

Puppetshow – shorts

Puppetshow – accents on dress (ie bodice, sleeves, sleeve edgings, collar)

Swingset – tunic

2+2 – accents on top, maybe try sleeveless

bedtime story – accents/ruffle

Jumprope – accents (placket, sleeve tabs, collar, belt/loops)

From LTTS

small messenger bag

bento box carrier

play town

bear hood

messy kid bib

juggling balls and bag

dolls teaparty dress

bear carrier

bath mit

puppet thearter accents

penguin backpack accents

Maybe we need a look up chart that shows how much fabric is needed for each item at any size. ie if you want to make something in 3T and only have 1yd/m you could go to this table and check out which patterns can be made from that amount of fabric.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

This is great, Heidi. I’m going to print this list out – especially for clothes – even the patterns I don’t have yet. After long day sorting through fabrics and separating FQs and half yards, it would be marvellous to have quick reference list. I especially love idea of Tea Party skirt with multicoloured panels. You guys are amazing!

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I would be happy to help with a table. I like doing that sort of “nerdy” stuff. 😉

LINK

That’s great Pippi! Thanks.

Maybe choose one size and go through all the patterns on the websitet o get the info. That way it’s not too overwhelming trying to do it all at once. Maybe let us know what size you are starting with so I or someone else doesn’t do the same size.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I can start with size 4 (since that is one I will use myself in the next few months).

LINK

Thanks Pippi, great Idea to start with what your going to use. It’ll probably be a few days before I get to having a go at this. I may start with a size 5.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I am still working on the table, but just came across this image http://pinterest.com/pin/37647346857219884/ and it made me think of the puppet show top/dress. This is another cute example of using multiple fabrics for one pattern. This would be a great use of scraps. (I have no idea what this shop is, japanese I guess!) I am going to try and include in the table how much you would need for some of these pieced ideas (like if you wanted different sleeves or dress panels)–for the patterns I have at least. But we’ll see, that might take a long time…

LINK
    pippi @pippi

So i have a little table of the patterns that have parts (either in full or lining or trims etc) that can be made with 1 yard, 1/2 yard or 1/4 yard for Size 4. But I am not sure how to share it?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Wow Pipi, that’s great! What about a Google doc? Maybe we can add to it as we make stuff?

Thanks Heidi, for that nice list!

LINK

I haven’t got that far, I was planning to PDF mine and then add it to my flicker with a link back. Not sure about Google doc as I’ve never used it.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

Flickr won’t let me upload a plain old pdf. I am sure I can mess with it to save it as an image file, I’ll have to do that tomorrow on my other computer though. I think you might have to have a gmail account to view a google doc?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.