Oliver + S

What Will You Create in 2015?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

I should add, the topic title is the question prosed to me by my husband last night. When he asked, my response was, “I have a few things lined up on the business end, and probably selfish sewing for me with my new fabric I bought with my Christmas money. And I should probably get back to work on the drapes for the living room…sewing for the kids…you need new hankies…maybe I should consider ready to sell stock for my FB page…I wish I was done saving for my embroidery machine…and I want to learn the art of corsetry.”

There is so much potential to be had in the coming year! There are 52 weeks to fill up with beautiful things, and my heart is happy.

So, tell me, what will *you* create in 2015? Do you desire to learn a new technique? Is this the year that you bring your best to the local fair to show and compete? Perhaps this is the year you bite the bullet and sew for yourself, complete with customizing the garment to fit you. Or maybe you dream of creating a quilt. Share your creative aspirations!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I can’t get past your first sentence!
    One thing I know I won’t create is any interest in my sewing hobby from my husband!!
    As for the rest, who knows, but I’m sure to have fun. (and I will insist on boring him by showing him anything I’m proud of, over, and over, and over again)

LINK

I think he’s fascinated. Knitting and sewing are skills he respects. Possibly because he’s still impressed that I can turn string into fabric. And bolts of fabric become garments.

Not that his eyes don’t glaze over when I start discussing seam finishing and types of hems. 😉

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think mine is supportive and proud, but that’s not the same as interested. Too bad, he’d be a great knitter.

This year I want to teach my two ‘students’ to knit cables. My MIL and a friend’s daughter both have asked for help with knitting and have taken off with it.

I want to make myself a Bistro dress and another Cinema dress from a dressier fabric.

I want to make my daughter some costumes she’s been urgently requesting.

I want to make a *perfect* (to her specs) apron for my stepmom.

That’s pretty much it, on the craft front. I do also want to level up my breadmaking and finish my thesis film, which has been gathering dust since I graduated, gulp! three years ago?

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

I feel like I have enough left over from 2014 to fill the first half of this year.

My immediate projects are fabric storage bins to hide (errr.. hold) the toys/mess. And a Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6 costume for my 4 year old.

After that I need to finish up last year’s projects — family reunion dress, playtime tunic, a new “wiggle, wiggle” dress (aka twirly dress) as her old one is too small, and the other three patterns I have cut out.

Maybe then I can try to learn about my serger that has been boxed for 6 months and scares me.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sarvi, you are going to love your serger once you get going with it! It will speed up your sewing because it finished seam allowances soooo much more quickly than the sewing machine. And of course that’s just the tip of the iceberg…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m sure! I really, really appreciated the difference when I started sewing for myself. On tiny garments I didn’t mind doing finicky finishes but on an adult-sized garment that I hoped to wear in this lifetime, it was remarkable how much quicker it was. Good tools are such a pleasure to use.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I’m actually making something for ME – ok, it’s just a t-shirt, but it’s a start! I don’t wear dressy clothes for work generally, so if I can get a great fit on this t-shirt, I plan to make about 20. Come to find out, I must have some freakishly short arms….

My 5 year old got a sewing machine for Christmas, so she is working on a doll quilt. My 20 year old son is now working on making a duffle bag – he’s quite the entrepreneur, so he thinks he’d like to sell handmade bags. So, my sewing room is quite busy to start off 2015!

My goal for 2015 is very similar to 2014 – pattern bust, not buy clothes for the kid (which I pretty much don’t anyways). Definitely do-able!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Janice, I’ve made 5 t-shirts in the past week for myself. Once you get the fit down, they’re quite addictive.

I’d like to make the Cinema and Bistro dresses.

And I’d like to continue exploring new fabrics.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

My husband is very supportive, has a great eye for colour and things “going” together and is a creative person himself. Generally he is happy to listen and be involved in sewing creative discussion 🙂
    This year i’m going to continue working on my wardrobe, espically getting fit right. I’m working on my TNT tsirt pattern and I got Lietchy’s “Fitting and Pattern Ateration” for Christmas 🙂

LINK

Robin- exploring new fabrics is a fun adventure! Before you know it, you’ll have an entire library of knowledge of drape, strength, weight, texture and more that you will be able to put to use in the most amazing of ways.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Create, that is beautiful. I think I shall focus on sewing being more about creating, then working.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I had an annoying afternoon and thought I’d relax for a few minutes and watch a video on using my serger. This might have been … too relaxing.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Much more relaxing then my threading method….which involves tweezers, me swearing a lot and the children advising each other to stay away from mum.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I have so many projects to get to! a dear cousin-in-law is expecting after almost 8 years of trying, so it was a great excuse to buy the Lullaby Layette pattern; she’s interested in cloth diapering so there’s those too.
    story of my life, i can never resist the remnant pile especially in the NY garment district… I buy random 5/8ths with no ideas except that it called to me. must stash-bust… there are a few that i see as not garments but slipper boots, or bags.
    This year a resolution is to try new things (crafts, techniques, shapes, materials)– so sewing stuff for myself is right up there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.