Oliver + S

What do you do with all your lovely little garments?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh, yes, a swap pool! I have things that come back to me too from my neighbor. But it is difficult to gift it to someone who likes it but will wear it. Well, speak up if you see anything in my Flickr pool you’re dying to get your hands on. Maybe I’ll send it to you! šŸ™‚

i did toss a few casual play clothes that were pretty worn out. I did what I did for the artwork and school papers – I’ve secured one plastic bin per child in which I can store baby/childhood memories. If they get to full we’ll just have to cull it. All the boys little handknitted sweaters can go in there now. I suspect that baby girl will eventually have more than one. šŸ™‚

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Thank you Nicole, that is very kind, and if we get there, I would love to take you up on the offer! We are very much in hope and prayer (and have been for a looong while). Maybe this year it will work, as we are about to begin some fairly intensive treatment. Thanks again.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have my fingers and toes (and everything else) crossed for it to work for you Heidi! Then I can get my needle and thread out and celebrate by making you something really special – because you will deserve it!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Some things that I have made I have passed along to a local ministry who gives to needy families. Most things that I have relatively recently sewn (past couple years or so) I either pack up because I can’t stand to part with or loan to a friend for her daughter. She gives the handmade goodies back and takes care of them so it’s fun to see things worn a little longer. As I just had a little boy though, and we aren’t planning on more, I’m not sure what to do except be sad about not using all those girly things I’ve made.

LINK

Thank you for the encouragement justsewit!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wishing you luck, Heidi! I was going to suggest the same thing as Lightning. What if we put up a collage with photos of stuff we’re willing to part with, and whoever liked something and would be wiling to pay for shipping could claim it? We could make a note about the afterlife — ‘Please return to me when outgrown’ or ‘Please donate to charity’.

LINK

Thanks Sarvi.

I like the idea of a swap pool. that might even help solve the problem of the clothes of sewn ‘just because’ and are taking up space because don’t have a recipient in the right size!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Would we start a new Flickr group?

LINK

Probably would want a new flicker group, but I’m not sure.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think a new group is a great idea, especially since we can add the same photo to many groups. Any thoughts on identifying sizes? I confess I’ve been lax at times about noting which I garments I made in which size. I imagine over time we might develop a regular ‘stream’ with clothes flowing from many of the same kids to other kids based on age, size, build, maybe also weather/seasons?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If I cannot convince my husband to have another child soon I will have a huge amount to pass on.

I guess postage will be a kicker,but then it does cost far less to post and outfit then pieces of fabric.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Happily, I’ve just discovered that the only girl younger than mine does have parents who appreciate my hand-me-downs. I’d assumed because they were happily accepting the hand-me-downs from any and everyone, and thus dressing her in boys tracksuits most of the time, they were immune to the handmade pretty dress. Turns out they get a buzz out of the comments other people have made when she wears something I’ve passed along.

For a swap pool to work, we’d either need a really clever person to create a whole world online with “postage credits” or we’d need to just post the things at our own expense, and hope that karma sent you something in return. I imagine things could get sour if there was an expectation for the receiver to cough up and they didn’t. Or worse, giving out banking details for postage deposits led to some financial trickery.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yeah, I was thinking about the postage issue, especially since there was mention of a big fee hike for sending international packages from the US to elsewhere. It might come down to personal trust/relationships. I’ve done single-sided swaps on Flickr — I had something I didn’t want, or had more of than I needed, and somebody else wanted badly, so I just sent it. Maybe somebody they’ll send me something back, maybe not, but I kind of set my mind to thinking of them as gifts to strangers to avoid disappointment.

LINK
    highpowermom @highpowermom

I’ve been loaning my rtw “hand me downs” to friends and acquaintances, but reserve my hand-mades for close friends with a request to have them returned to me when outgrown. I’m not sure I’ll ever get hubby on board for a second child, but I’m loathe to part with them “just in case”. I’m a little sad when my loaners come home a bit more faded and with a little more wear and tear, but I’d rather have them being used and enjoyed. My sister-in-law’s pregnant now, but I get the feeling she and my brother want to start “all new” (it’s their first, what do they know, LOL)… at least that means I’ll get to sew!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I had that “all new” bug at first, until a tiny pair of $40 leather wingtips got outgrown before the soles were even scuffed. $10 pre-owneds looked pretty good after that! But congratulations on have a sweet “all new” little one to sew for šŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.