Oliver + S

What do you do with all your lovely little garments?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ve just emptied baby girl’s closet for a very long overdue cleaning. Hopefully, a whole whose closet organization will follow! One think that’s been holding me back from this project is that I just don’t know what I want to do with all the tiny things I’ve made for her. I find them harder to part with than store bought stuff, but at the same time, I make her so much that I can’t possibly keep all of it forever.

Any thoughts?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have the same problem! I have boxes full in Sweet pea’s closet that I have no idea what to do with it.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If I had a beautif baby girl I would love to take them off your hands and put those beautiful, made with love clothes to good use!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I have a bin in little girl’s closet and as she outgrows things, I put them in the bin. I just don’t have the heart to part with things I have spent so much time working on. I guess my hope is that one day she will have a daughter that can wear them.

Jane

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Don’t just get rid of them!! At least, not the special ones…not the ones you put a lot of time into.

I used to sew all my older kids clothes, and I gave 99% of them away. Then, literally 20 years later, we have another girl. I SO wish I had kept all the dresses I made my older daughter….all the things I embroidered, customized in some way….things she wore for school pictures, etc.

Put some away because you never know what’s going to happen!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I give Sophie’s handmade clothes to a friend with a little girl. She gives them back when her daughter grows out of them. And then they go in a box. I did give away the first thing I made for Sophie and I regret it to this day!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I have a neice three years younger than my younger daughter. She will get some, but some I will have to keep. Right now she is only 4 months old, so I haven’t had to make the tough decisions yet.

LINK
    DianaH158 @DianaH158

I, too, put them all in a bin. They are too hard to part with. I guess I am hoping my kids may want some when they have children. If not, just memories to cherish, I guess!

LINK
    Anonymous @

I think its a good practice to hand over the dresses you have to someone else. This way you will not feel bad about throwing them out, and they will be put to good use by someone else.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, I’ll of course keep the special stuff! But I think some of it really ought to go.its hard to part with the tiny shoes too, but seriously I just can’t keep everything from three kids! Oooo, you know what we do for the artwork? We cull it from time to time and take pictures of it. Then I can make a book from Shutterfly or any of the sites that do photo books. Hmmm, maybe I should think about that for some of her clothes.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Put it in a bin, save it and one day find a way to use those shape and details for a quilt. Eg. When I cut a pair of overalls for a quilt, I will make sure that the bib with the pocket is preserved, so the blanket will have a pocket or two on it. Some collars, etc.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I just don’t have the space to be a hoarder of clothes. After all, where would my fabric stash go if I stored outgrown clothes?!

I’m working to the plan of photogrsphing everything I make on the kids at least once and keeping the photos. Clothes go either into the charity bag, or if I made it, it gets regifted to someone else’s kid.

My Oliver + S patterns are kept very neatly so that if I’m ever a grandma I can sew them all over again!

My only problem with passing on the garments is finding an age and gender appropriate kid who’s parent will appreciate the clothes but not be too freaked out to never let the kids wear them. That’s tricky. A swap pool amongst the Flickr crowd would be great!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Heidi,if you have a girl,you can have your pick!

I kept everything I made the children,except the Twins,I gave one set away as I made double.

Then I found o+s,CC,Figgy’s and other boutique patterns and I didn’t want to use the older gear again.

When the Queensland flood’s hit,I packed up several huge post packs and sent it up to a Flickr friend who was living near by and she took it to a sorting place where it was distributed straight away.

So much so,she emailed me a few days later to say she had seen a little girl wearing one of my dresses in a shopping centre.

Now I am starting again with my precious oliver+s sewing and I will store it until I have no room.

~Nicole~

LINK
    rastis @rastis

i have sisters with young children, so the clothes are shared between all our children! my sisters send me clothes too- it’s funny how many things i made their children that have come back to me for my little ones to wear as well! and when all our children are grown? i’ll probably hold onto a couple of special pieces that i’ve made for my children and find a new home for the bulk of them 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I kept every hand smocked dress or romper I have made for my children. I didn’t just sew clothes when they were super little I smocked and sewed. So I have kept them and won’t be giving them away. I have also kept some bought pieces and will consider giving them away if and when another child enters our family.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.