Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,476 through 5,490 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Doing a little bit more on the denim quilt and sorting all the fabric/scraps my friend gave me. It’s interesting sorting someone else’s fabric cast offs. Lots of red and green and no purple 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It turns out I only needed to make three pairs of shorts for camp. The third of which were finished this afternoon! She’s all packed ready to leave at sparrows!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I have just about finished a blue linen every day skirt. I used the elastic for something else and only have enough for one row, so just need to get a bit more to finish the second row. I’m not entirely convinced it’s ‘me’, I need some time to myself in front of a mirror to try styling it etc.

Has anyone come across a fitted LINED pencil skirt pattern? I can find lots of unlined ones, but I really want to line one. Otherwise, has anyone used any really good tutorials for creating their own lining? There seem to be quite a few tutorials online but I would definitely prefer a recommendation!

LINK

I’m going to do some more embellishing of the denim Quilt today! 🙂

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I am working on an Arielle skirt (Tilly and the Buttons) for my sister using some yellow patterned Lisette twill from a few seasons ago. She had a birthday last month and because of all the “excitement” in our lives I didn’t give it much thought. I basted the skirt together and she came over yesterday to try it on. It was kind of fun having her stand on a stool while I pinned up the hem. Felt like a real seamstress 😉

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Real? You ARE Masha! Sewing withsisters is alot fun though isn’t it?!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I guess so, Tamara. I still feel like I’m playing at it though.

LINK

I’m enjoying the free motion embroidery I’m doing on my denim quilt. Lots of words and a few pictures. Yes, it’s very time consuming but also encouraging me to spend lots of time praying for my friends, who will be the recipient.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It sounds wonderful Heidi. I hope you post pictures for us to see it when its is complete.

After what seems like weeks not sewing I am finally able to and am in the process of cutting a apair of denim afterschool pants for Chloë. This will be followed by Jalie jeans for Imogen and Jalie denim trousers (jeans for Noah). All in a bid to have them clothed!

Once the denim is done I plan on some pretty floral tops for the girls amd a decent dress shirt or two for N using a Jalie pattern. He is not quite in the men’s size range.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

T, and Heidi, your denim projects sound very interesting – looking forward to seeing the results. I’m more than half way thru my first Carousel dress, although, I have cut out another. The WIP is size 5 in raspberry wide wale corduroy with a striped cotton for the pockets, cuffs, and for the binding. I’ve just finished binding the hem which always looks nice, and a lot less lumpy when one is working with cord. I had a small brainwave this morning, as I’m always anxious about either thread loops, or elastic for closures. I love the fabric loops but they are a challenge when it’s placket opening. Anyway, I thought I might cut an extra long piece of bias for the neck and have ties extending down the back that the Mum can tie into a bow – a la the 2+2 blouse. In fact, I can’t see why one couldn’t put the opening for this dress in the front, instead of the back – exactly like the 2+2 blouse. What do you think, ladies? I’m hoping that the ‘bow’ will tie ok, and not be a problem for hair, or coming undone. Probs that doing the opening in the front would practically eliminate.

Have finished my first Butterfly skirt, and top, in different fabrics, and am looking forward to posting them soon. The top is to go with a pair of Lunchbox culottes made a while ago, and the skirt is accompanying a Badminton top, in the same fabric. Cut out a couple of Class Picnic tops, too. Again another first. Really looking forward to sewing those.

Really recommend the Carousel for those who haven’t tried it yet; no gathering required, and a nice style for little girls with tummies but who are rapidly getting taller.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Still working on the Arielle. I am really enjoying taking my time and producing a beautiful garment. It is a simple pattern with some opportunities for nice touches like a bias-bound facing and hand-blind-stitched hem (did that last night in front of the TV). Tonight I’ll make buttonholes and sew on buttons and then it will be ready to present to my sister. I’m looking forward to it.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Two pairs of afterschool pants in denim for the baby – a job and a half to get them on her but they look great and are easier to pull off. Now to redraft the Jalie trouser pattern for Noah and I have to ask Immy if she wants the pull on skinny jeans or the ones I did last year – she may opt for none yet! In the meantime I have cut a music class shirt out of floral winter twill for the baby and a purl soho sunbonnet in the same (because it is sunny and chilly at the same time!) and may sew this today instead of potentially botching a pair of jeans for the boy!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I had to put baby stuff aside and make jeans afterall. I have a pair each for the big kids all but the waistband done and and another paur each cut out ready to sew.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Masha, I feel like I play too, and yet… I just made a pinafore/jumper for my daughter. I think it will be a first day of dress. A beautiful cotton and steel lawn. It was not an Oliver and S pattern and boy was I, ahem, P!$$ed. I was aghast at the instructions and things like unfinished facings, and no directions to tack facings down. The yoke to dress assembly had me running to another pattern for better instructions and when I got to the pocket instructions, I was all HECK to the NO! I said, I know I own a similar pocket style in an O+S pattern. Sure enough.. Jumprope instructions saved the day.

But what I realized was this was not how a garment I make should be made. Oh No No No No.

It turned out pretty, I think… For those of you on my Flickr feed, maybe you’ve seen it, the blue flowered dress with the pink yoke and pockets. But it was simply not up to my standards. The inside looks homemade, rather than handmade.

O+S has made me a sewing snob! 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hehe! Sewing snobbery rules! Nuthin’ to be ashamed of there! I do the same and apply Oliver and s sewing principals with other patterns now. Some instructions are very vague out there.

I am steadily trundling my way through the two extra pair of jeans – Jalie 2908 stretch jeans size “v” (9) and (shock horror!) Thread theory Jedediah pants in size 34! Yes for my ten year old son just in case anyone was itching to enquire!

I spent literally ages trying to decipher the tt instructions for the front pocket on the first pair – different way of doing things but it worked out. Now I am going hammer and tongs trying to get them done asap.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,476 through 5,490 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.