Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,341 through 5,355 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Mostly boys-it’s Marvel fabric I found at Jo An. Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Wolverine. I know there is a fabric featuring the DC female superheroes- Wonder Woman, Supergirl, but my DD isn’t that into DC comics. I got it mostly done, just need to sew top and bottom together.

I also had a pair of Bedtime pjs cut out and ready to sew. Got the pants done and DS is sleeping in them:-)

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I finally made all the changes to my pattern. Now I’m drafting a slight hi low hem. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get to make up the first version to check the fit.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I think I have the supergirl fabric in my stash. I think it was intended for pj’s but didn’t get used when it was first bought. Oh well it happens. That’s how your fabric becomes “vintage”.

I have sewn on the ties for the 2+2 but only along the neckline. i have decided I am not very good at topstitching because the underneath always looks really horrible. So I am going to handstitch it down and then machine stitch the rest and go along the neckline that way.mand maybe I will have a nice looking neck both sides.

I also started on the music class blouse, doing the precise 1/8 inch pinktucks from the bottom to the top because my machine was rather hungry! I have decided to do the faux french seams to sew the bodic pieces together and genuine french seams for the rest except the sleeves where I will bind them. I just like the look.

So with that in mind I will knuckle down and do a couple of hours sewing tonight and work to complete them both tomorrow. One of them will be worn on Wednesday to the speech competition so they both need to be done.

LINK
    Harmony @Harmony

I got an e-mail from Colette as well. It went into the spam folder so I didn’t read it , but I searched for Aster pattern corrections.

There’s an error in the Aster pattern instructions. They’ve posted a fix in their help section.

I put together the world’s fastest Elsa costume Sunday morning. 30 minutes start to finish. It wasn’t my best work but it got the job done.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Hi Tamara, I’m intrigued? What’s a faux French seam?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

You sew the seam at the seam allowance of 1/2 inch. Then when you go to press yhe seam, you open up the seam allowances and then fold the raw edges into the middle, close up the seam by pressing the new folded seam allowances ontop of each other and then stitching along the edge to close the seam up. In the end it looks like a french seam but done in a different way.

I did these along the bodice pieces and then topstitched them down. The reason was because I wanted to try and not use my overlocker/ serger and I wanted to try new techniques. Binding those seams proves to be too bulky as I found out with a music class shirt I had made years ago for my eldest. So I thought I would try this technique.

I did a normal french seam for the side seams though because the bound seams at the sleeve would be too bulky otherwise.

I haven’t quite finished the shirts as yesterday was full of interruptions. I hope to continue them today.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Is there some advantage to this over a regular french seam?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

To be honest, I don’t really know. I just wanted to experiment. I think it would have everything to do with where the seam was and what fabric you were using that would lend itself to advantages or disadvantages. I would think this way would be ideal to use with fabrics that are light but fray alot. This way cutting is kept to a minimum as you don’t need to trim seams.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I can see how it might be better in that case.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Last night I finished the 2+2 top. Today I hope to keep going on the music class shirt but am comsidering changing the sleeve to short ones considering our very out of character spring like weather when it is supposed to be cold and raining!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If you use short sleeves you can always layer a long sleeve top or onsie under it, and she can wear it in warmer weather.
    Looking forward to a sewing day today 🙂 I’ve got the latest pattern I’ve been modifying for me nearly ready to go. My husband has the car so I can’t go out 🙂 Sewing Day! 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes that is true, however, I went ahead and attached the already cut long sleeves so I will just have to make another with short sleeves for this really wierd 27 degree days we are experiencing (in June?!). I have some blue and white floral lawn from Spotlight I have earmarked for another music class but am now thinking Puppet show dress for it instead. It will surely dictate what it has to be made into!

Apparently we will get winter weather – at least the temperature will drop so I better think about bottoms and pj’s. I want to try quilting the arms of the bedtime story pyjamas so we are prepared for the drop in temps at night.

For now though, I am up to the sleeve plackets and sewing the sleeve seam binding in place.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am finally back on the discussion! Took me long enough. I have been working away for months working away at sewing but now it is time for a much needed break of sewing my favorite patterns. 🙂 I have three yards of this Art Gallery fabrics that I am itching to use but not really sure of what pattern to use. I want something I can add soft white lace too. Any ideas on which pattern I should use? I am also sewing up miss Sarah’s clothes for her first year at school. I am so sad about this. I have a very special blue plaid Puppet Show dress cut and ready to sew for her first day of school. I missed this group so!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

That’s really interesting about the faux french seams, thank you. It could also come in useful when I accidentally start the french seam the wrong way out…

I love that fabric. I would opt for something more structured and less gathered to make the most out of the pattern, i.e. carousel or school photo but both of those would present some pattern matching challenges. They both look good with a lace trim though!

I am going to take the leap into sewing for me and my sister. I have a colette laurel toile cut out for my sister that I have been avoiding sewing for fear of needing to make adjustments. I am going to take baby steps with me and start my measuring myself tonight! Not something I”m looking forward to doing, but has to be done!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Sharon! You’re back! Its so wonderful to “see” you on the forum again. That fabric is stunning isn’t it?
    My first thought is carousel. I also think it would be lovely as a Badminton dress – not for your cooler weather i know but it came to mind. You could also go for the library dress and use the lace in the waist band somehow. The book report dress would go really well also especially if you had some solid contrast. The lace trim could be used creatively – at the sleeve cuffs and where the pockets are attached.

Just a few ideas for you.

I got as far as pinning the plackets and sleeve seam bindings before baby girl woke up. Will endeavour to complete the shirt this weekend.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,341 through 5,355 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.