Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 4,051 through 4,065 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi there KnittingI, welcome to the forum.

So very glad you have found these wonderful patterns but I am intrigued to know what size Icecream dress you made for dgd Rose! I confess I haven’t made this size smaller than a 10 as it was released when my daughter fit that size. There are lots of ladies here from all over the globe so with any luck you will be able to build more of your collection through contacts.

I didn’t do alot of sewing yesterday, just three button holes on that late lunch tunic. Today though is jeans pattern tracing a muslin sewing time. Need to get cracking on these. So will stop rabbiting on about it and just go sew!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

Well I planned to sew the Hide & Seek tunic I had cut out for my daughter next, but on a whim decided to do a bit of stash-busting and knocked out a pair of After School Pants (view C, with the ruffles). Finished them in an afternoon and they’re SO cute! The ruffles really make that pattern, I think. I have a little bit (~1/4 yard) of the linen I used for the pants left, but the lower side panels and ruffles used the last scrap of a small piece of blue cotton print I had leftover from another project a few months ago. I’ll admit it’s hugely satisfying to use up the last of something from my stash – tho I’m feeling the “let’s go buy more fabric as a reward” urge which I probably should suppress! If I don’t learn how to rein myself in, my poor husband will come home in a few months to find our house overrun with fabric :-P.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh you make me laugh vothgirl! We all go through those temptations believe me so you are certainly not alone. However a little fabric reward could be a great reward for stash busting provided it was used for something and sitting there for years on end. I have fabric that I have had since my (nearly) twelve year old was in utero but they are few now. I either cannot part with the though of cutting into it or I am using it for muslin fittings instead. It isn’t very expensive fabric but it is fabric none the less. I say looks for specials to get a bargain that way you get the fabric and hubby doesn’t become inundated with worry over fabric purchases – I have been told to pull the belt in many times already this year but my spending is much less that last year for some reason. Maybe its because I figure my cupboard is on the brink of overflowing so a suspension in purchases of large proportions is needed somewhat. You get to the point where shopping for fabric becomes a wiser exercise in time.

Hey I had a thought about your nursing top sewing, have you thought about the weekend getaway top as a nursing top? I am guessing it could easily be adapted to hide a button placket or even hook and eyes for easy access – or loose enough to just pull up. It looks as though it could be suitable.

The afterschool pants you made are very pretty. My son tried his corduroy ones on from last year and well I immediately asked him to wear something else because they were so snug he couldn’t hide his underwear! He was indeed rather hurt by that but I promised I would look into making him a larger pair. I prefer the cargos on him as they are an easier fit but he does have the choice when I make his clothing (they get to a point where there is all out war and refusal if you don’t let them have a say) and he obviously likes the style so I have to add it to the list.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Hello justsewit! Thanks for the message. I sewed size 2T for Rose- my oldest daughter lives in Nova Scotia so relied on her for measurements. I am visiting in mid June so trying to make as many dresses as I can for Rose to take with me, and praying they fit! Not sure what I can do about the sleeves if they are too small. Neckline I can sort, I think. I will be taking sewing supplies with me! Going to start bubble dress today. Bought some Alice in Wonderland fabric by a Japanese designer whose name I have forgotten(!). Its a border print so I’m looking at other peoples dresses and hoping it will work.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Welcome aboard! I found the Bubble to be one of those that fits for a long time, just something about the cut. The border print sounds darling. To share your photos you’ll need to have them hosted online somewhere. The forum doesn’t currently host images, but you can use any free service you like (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr, Ipernity, 500px, etc.) and post a link to your image there.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well, photos would be great because then we could all have a look at the said neckline and arms to see if they would in fact be too small or just right to the pattern. I find that it depends on the child as to if it will be just right. My children are very tall and solid kiddies so I more often than not size up and they have caught up! The patterns are very true to sizing though – I just do it because my kids need that smidge extra room.

Fabric choices can effect the outcome also. I love the Icecream pattern but only made the dress once and you know I don’t think more daughter wore it all that often. I made the top more often though. The arms looked too small but it drops off into a sleeve (if this helps at all). All I can suggest is to maybe try it on her and if it fits great, but if it doesn’t maybe save it for another dgd? Or pass it on to someone with a little girl of similar age/ sizing etc.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

I’ve just finished making a mini version of the Schooldays coat for Audrey’s doll, Harriet. Audrey’s coat is currently on hold, as I’m waiting for a colour swatch from Spoonflower before I can order the hood lining. I don’t want to line the hood in slippery fabric or I don’t think it will stay on her head! For Harriet’s coat I just lined the whole thing in bemsilk. I’m very, very happy with it – fortunately, as Audrey won’t let Harriet take it off!

Now that I’ve finished Harriet’s coat, I’m starting on a tartan skirt for Audrey, made from a Blank Slate pattern. I haven’t used one of their patterns before, but they had exactly the style I wanted.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks Sarvi and justsewit. I have posted my photo on my Pinterest page- are you saying there is way to link that to these forums? You can tell that I’m really good at all this technological stuff! (Not!) The Japanese fabric is 100% cotton fabric with Alice in Wonderland design in Orange & Purple colourway, designed by Etsuko Furuya for Japanese textile house Kokka. ( You can tell i just looked this up! ) I got it half price this week online from Lovely Fabrics in UK, who are sadly closing down. And Kona solids at £5 per metre. And free postage, so a bargain. Never had any Kona before- surprised at nice quality.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hellos Lovelies!

Aren’t the new Waffle patterns gorgeous?

No sewing but I did some cutting out for school uniforms. Two Music Class outfits for Lids and Tildy and another pair of Field Trip cargoes for the Twins.

You can absolutely link Knitting1 but I am not to sure how to talk you through it…… I am a learner myself, but a very big welcome to you.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I agree that the fit of the Ice Cream pattern depends on the build of the child you’re sewing for. My daughter is long and thin with a medium sized head, and it’s one of the longest-wearing patterns I sew for her. I make the dress minus the lower band, and it works as a tunic and then as a shirt– she recently turned 4, and I just retired the ones I made her at 18mo! I’ve made a dozen or so over the years.

The Bubble Dress is wonderfully long-wearing, too, and so sweet.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I am sort of thinking it would work along the same lines as if you were to link a site page. You basically copy the address of the photo and paste it into the reply box on this thread here. I don’t have pinterest yet, just flickr and I know this is how you do it to link photos from there. So I am thinking it would be pretty much the same.

So, to walk you through, up the top of the screen knitting1 you will find the address box (it is where you would type the website name). You just need to click on it (make sure it is showing the page you want to link first) so that it looks coloured (click the mouse so the cursor blinks and then drag the mouse holding the button down so the whole address is coloured). Now right click and you should see a box appear asking if you want to cut copy etc. choose copy. Then pop over to the next page (so you can have easy access to successfully copy and paste you need to have the pinterest on one page and the oliver and s site on the second page), log in if you haven’t already, jump into this thread, type your message and right click, select paster and your address that you copied will come up. Now, don’t panic if the address doesn’t show up in colour with a line underneath. Once you click add topic after typing your reply, it will show up nicely and we will all be able to click on it.

I really hope this is easy to understand (and that I don’t completely muck you about by giving instructions that haven’t worked). Have a go and if you get stuck yell!

I am looking forward to seeing this icecream dress.

Still haven’t traced, muslined or sewn anything today! Half the day gone! Oh well, maybe after lunch?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I plan on buying at least one of the Waffle patterns this summer for me! I just love the halter top.

I started sewing the Blossom blouse over the weekend but the kiddos wanted to be outside both days, all day so I got another sun burn instead of finishing it. I will finish it today though! I don’t think it will take very long as soon as I sit down to stitch. It’s my last selfish me sewing project from last week then I will be off to finish up Sarah Birthday party dress in Wee Wander. I am going to make Caspian a matching outfit too, navy blue sailboat pants and the print for his Sketchbook shirt.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

That all sounds marvellous, MK – both the clothes for you, and what you have planned for the two youngest. Which Wee Wander are you using? What ever it is, I’m looking fwd to seeing the dress, and the gorgeous PC in sailboat trews. Worked all day on the Playtime tunic for Miss 5 who is going to Japan next week. As her mother works part time, I don’t see her often, and now she tells me that they are flying out in a week. I hadn’t factored in that the family will need a little pre-wedding time, so are away a few days earlier than I thought. Tunic coming along ok, and it would be lovely if I can make a Badminton skirt, too. I’ll just have to see what I can manage by Friday.

I’ve also cut out a Music Class shirt in a nice brushed cotton for Miss 3 1/2 (the one with the elasticised wrists asked you all about). It will go well with a Chickadee skirt I made her last year but I’m viewing it as an experiment, really to see how the sleeves go. Has anyone used the top part of the Apple Picking as a blouse? I’ve been reading older posts on the AP, and have registered all the talk about the tie, and the short skirts. Any other tips, folks? I really like the idea of Music Class sets for your younger girls, N. Has T grown out of the gorgeous set you made last year? Or are these in the Sneaky Uniforms category? A warm welcome to the newer members of the forum; you know who you are! The more the merrier, I say. I hope you enjoy participating.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks for the nice welcome and helpful comments. I’ll have a go at the posting thing. Been ill so l’ve not started Bubble dress yet. Though I have been knitting a purple stegosaurus…

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Doing some dificutish mending, think knees on very firm leggings, it’s not but that type of stretch and space! I want to get it done and move onto something else! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 4,051 through 4,065 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.