Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 3,991 through 4,005 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I am gritting my teeth and mending today, and (hopefully) finishing up my little guy’s western shirt. It got laid aside because my machine was acting up and making very ugly stitches, then I had to wait until the black and lime green pearl snaps came in the mail, now I have to take out some ugly topstitching and redo it before hemming the shirt and attaching the snaps. Blah. I hate that kind of sewing.

Melanie, my favorite nightgown for my girls is peasant-style, with elastic around the neck. It’s so quick to sew and comfortable. Yesterday I finished one for my youngest daughter that I did a little block of honey-comb smocking on the front before putting in the elastic. My first attempt at smocking and it was so much fun, and so easy and satisfying.

Btw, your daughter’s easter dress is simply darling, I am loving old-fashioned, heirloom style sewing and kid’s clothes right now too.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I like the class picnic as I nightgown. I lengthen it and add a ruffle to the bottom. It’s fast, easy for self dressing, and is comfortable.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thank you, Bren! I’m really pleased with it. I love it when projects make you really really happy. Even though there was a big setback, it worked out really well in the end.

Pinwheel would be a lovely nightgown for summer! So would popover or there’s a sweet badminton version I saw on Flickr. Katybella, I simply love the kwick sew one you showed us! I’m adding that pattern to my list. It has a lovely yoke and great sleeve options. I like things fully finished, and so many nightgown patterns skimp. But, pjs see a lot of wear and tear, so I think it’s even better to give them durable finishes. I use French seams throughout the boys sleepover pjs. So I think the ideal nightgown would have a front and back yoke that I could easily line, creating a nicely finished neck. And it would have sleeve options. And somewhere to add pink lace, 🙂 because that’s her favorite thing. The one I’m sewing up now is Simplicity 1569 with short sleeves. I made a flannel one with longe sleeves before. It’s nice and simple, not too full. She also wants pjs, so I’m going to do a top and pants from NL 6334 to see how I like it, but it doesn’t have sleeves, just a ruffle.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

So jealous of pretty sewing, I am adapting the Nature Walk pants to fit my Twin daughters generous derrieres and tiny waists.

I know I am certainly NOT a pattern maker.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m yet to work out how to enlarge/ alter stretch fabric patterns myself so I wish you luck Nicole.

I asked miss Imogen if I made her a pair of denim jeans would she wear them and her answer was “yes!” Astounding! I have a piece of stretch bright blue corduroy I would love to use but don’t think there would be enough for her for trousers. But I have stretch denim a plenty so Jalie jeans pattern here we come!

I have traced out the trousers pattern from an Ottobre issue for school trousers. Now to just find the actual black fabric I bought. They will fit at the waist but be roomy at the hips as he has a large waist and measurements are all over the place. It just means that he could have this pair for a wee while which is ok with me.

So I have some grey fabric I could use to make a muslin type wearable non schoolie version and then we can go from there. The cold weather is going to hit us next week so I better get cracking for warm clothes to wear on our coastal shopping trip Monday. Oh and its drizzling! Yaaay! For rain!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Not so much sewing but I took down the first growth cuff of 2″ I included in the pink and purple cargos I made last year. There’s still another 2″ I can let it down So since she has lots of room in the waist she’ll probably get another year out of them. And I showed the 5 year old how to use an unpicker to help 🙂

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Those trousers sounds lovely Tamara! Sarah is getting so rough on all hers now that most have holes in knees. I ma thinking of *buying* RTW ones…thinking.

Sewing space is getting smaller by the day, my mom shrunk the table and is taking over the wee space I have so it’s getting harder to get things around to sew, but never the less I am still trying. Right now I am sewing two darling Tea party playsuits, one for the new baby nephew and one for his big brother to match. I was going to use knit for the tops but not I kinda thinking they need a Sketchbook shirt. I not really sure if I have the color of fabric on hand that would look great with them though. I post pictures of the fabrics later and see what you ladies think.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I just finished a KwikSew vest for P’s school uniform. I used a double layer windproof fleece and boy did it get thick in spots! There’s a welt pocket with a zipper (ooh, fancy me hey), side pockets, bound armholes and full front zip. I am delighted with how it looks but really, I must get around to buying a thimble!! Oh, and some new pins. I think every single one is bent beyond use now.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

New pins are such a treat. They’re sharp and straight. They don’t cause swearing. Sharpening scissors and new rotary blades are always things that make my sewing much happier.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh yes Robin I wholeheartedly agree!

I have insomnia! It’s 4.23am. I might go trace that jeans pattern in her size and mine. Coffee first though, don’t want to be falling asleep in the middle of it.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Sound like a sewing time! I love it when I can sew in a quite house…..which has not happened in forever.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Sharon, isn’t that a great Mother’s Day gift? A quiet, clean house with time for sewing. Doesn’t have to be on Mother’s Day. I think that’s what I’m going to ask for, and maybe chocolate. : )

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I finished sewing the Twins Nature Walk pants and on that triumph I proceeded to size up the Field Trip trousers. A much bigger ambition.

Two hours later I have *almost* got it done but I would never have tried had I realised the work involved. The Swedish tracing paper is a marvel as I can splice and glue in extra paper and then tissue fit.

Zara is thrilled as she had never been able to find cargoes to fit her.

I have had to dart the back and have pleats at the front as well as add a separate waistband and a fly but at least the legs are the right length for her.

I am using a stretchy cotton drill so that will be quite forgiving too.

Has anyone sewn the size 12 Sketchbook shorts and the size 12 Art Museum trouser. Are they a similar fit?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh no not Mother’s day here yet Robin but a nice thought though. I actually didn’t trace the pattern then though. Instead I watched Angela Wolf’s designer jeans class on craftsy as a refresher. I had both kids up by the time I dragged myself into the sewing room because by then I was dog tired but still felt as though I had enough energy for the task. I managed to pick out “muslin” fabric before I really had to conk out and didn’t get up until 12.30pm.

Buuuut…. I have since sewn a (ghastly lime green drill) muslin of the pants together and tried them on the girl and made some (podgy tummy) alterations (ssshh! Don’t tell her I said that). While that was happening I washed and dried the denim and was really disappointed to find out it isn’t stretch like it specified on the tag and I am NOT HAPPY about that. Buuuuut…. I can still use it and have drafted the larger size (which actually fit her well) and I haven’t broken the news to her yet that it is a LADIES size! Shock horror! She’d be thrilled to bits!

It also means that I am somewhat reluctant to make a pair for myself at this stage but baby it’s cold outside and Mama needs a new pair of jeans!

I need to go stretch woven shopping and “try” not to spend too much at Spotlight on Monday

Nicole glad you got the task done and now it is not so daunting, there will be more pattern upsizing on the horizon. And yes swedish tracing paper is a must (says the person who uses scrap printer paper to enlarge her interfacing drafted patterns).

Ok so I have allowed Imogen to skip the queue but if I can get this pair of jeans made tonight, I can then get back on course and do that school trouser muslin for N.

I have sewn size 10’s of both Nicole and found the fit to be very different – I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping they would be similar. I am yet to find out for the 12’s as I will have to get to them very soon with this child growing faster than I can keep up. I found the cargos and the sketchbook to be similar in fit though if that is any help.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Nicole, if you’ve got the top right for the field trips can you just use the top, from the bottom of thencrotch curve up, on the top of the sketchbook and Art Museum legs? That way the majority of the fitting is already done, ie the waist, hips and crotch curve 🙂

I feel the pain of trying to get the waist and hips fitted.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,991 through 4,005 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.