Oliver + S

Tools

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

If you do start to carry shears, consider the 8.5in Ginghers with a tiny serrated edge for cutting slippery fabrics. They are magic. Another tool I love is a white goat-leather thimble that I think I got from Purl. By far the best thimble I’ve ever had, and I do quite a bit of hand quilting.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’ve been looking for notchers like that but have had trouble finding any in my part of the world. Maybe it’s an issue of translation – I have no idea what they would be called in Swedish.

If O+S were to carry them I would pick up a pair in no time!

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by lattemama.
    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Mine came in a job lot from a fashion design student.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I second left-handed shears. I would also like snaps a little smaller and lighter than the size O+S currently stocks. Other ideas: packs of ideal-sized white or shell buttons for button-up-the-back dresses; small cord made especially for piping.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5
    LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

This is where we used to get notchers (and most other pattern making supplies) when I worked in the industry. http://mrecht.com.au/haberdashery/design-and-pattern-room-accessories/pattern-notchers/pattern-notcher/

I don’t own any personally, but they were very useful when making patterns in card.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

this looks similar to the tool the train conductors use to punch the tickets on the commuter train… like a leather punch?
    If so and it cuts through fabric I’d love to get one! the fancy hole punches sold for scrapbooking don’t work on fabric.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Reeni, exactly!
    They punch through two layers of denim.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

In light of Todd’s blog post about the evolution of paper vs PDF, I wish I could find paper for a laser printer that is pretty thin and considering the volume we print… cheap! When I google translucent paper, it is pretty dear. Regular paper is a touch too stiff. I wish I could find something just a touch heavier than the paper tissue that O+S uses- flexible, easy to cut, flimsy (compared to most paper), and while not see through, not completely opaque.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I hear you @cybele727 One of the things I dislike about my home printed patterns is that I can’t see through the paper, so matching stripes and patterned fabric is much harder. Thus I end up tracing the pattern anyway. My interfacing tracings are flexible, translucent and hold up to being pinned over and over. Find me printer paper like that and I’d buy it for sure.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I only once tried to cut and use the PDF pattern piece. It was not successful. Too stiff and ultimately inaccurate. I glue my pattern sheet together, fold it like a commercial pattern sheet (sort of concertina it) and store it in a big ziplock bag. I laminate the colour pages and put them at the front and back of the bag. The instructions are printed and stapled in one corner.
    Then, for all intent and purposes, it is a paper pattern, ready to be drafted again and again.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic. 🙂

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Does anyone have suggestions for irons? I had a Rowenta for the last 4.5 years and for the last, really, 1.5+ years it’s been leaking. The last week it has gotten worse—so much so, I am worried it would become a fire hazard.

So, I’m in the market for a new iron. I’d love a tiny, cordless one, but I’m open to ideas/pricing!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I buy Tefal, nice and hot and lots of steam.
    Fairly tough too, my current one has survived being knocked over by a football in flight!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

on paper for printing patterns, I use the back of my kids’ school papers, which are usually thin copy paper or mimeograph paper. (I think it is referred to as 20 lb.) To draft or make altered/combined patterns (like when I change the length/move the armscye etc.) I use the grey recycled paper that comes as packing material when you buy stuff from Amazon or other mail order. They usually give you yards and yards in one package.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I buy Tefal, nice and hot and lots of steam.
    Fairly tough too, my current one has survived being knocked over by a football in flight!

Good to know — my inherited Rowenta is hyperactive and has burned through more things than I care to think about. No wonder I inherited it. Definitely in the market for a hot, but not too hot, iron, sometime soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.