Oliver + S

Tools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Do any of you prolific sewists use notching tools? I hate cutting those little notches!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I do Jess.
    I picked them up on eBay
    They are the best tool

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

I thought they were only for using when you designed your own patterns and you cut notches in the tissue! Are you saying they work to cut out notches in fabric?? If so, I am definitely getting some!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

They do and they are Linda

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Can you show me pics of the ones you use??

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I have one I inherited from my Grandma and I’ve only ever used it for heavy oaktag, so I’m sure it wouldn’t be effective on fabric by now. But I hadn’t ever considered using one on fabric until now. Nicole, please do show us what you use! Is it something you’d like to see us carry? I’m very curious.

And while we’re talking about tools, is there anything else you’d like us to carry? I just found some hand sewing needles that I ADORE and want to carry (who knew there was such a difference between needles?), and I’m contemplating carrying sewing sheers. But I’m all ears if you want to make any other suggestions, etc.!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I would love to see some good quality sewing needles. I do like a bit of hand sewing (and soon to venture into the hand quilting world!). Also, glass head pins!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

And completely frivoulous, but I really want a buttonhole chisel! LOL

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes a buttonhole chisel. I’ve always wanted one of those. Good quality pins that are sharp and won’t snag fabric. Sewing sheers! Liesl if you do decide to carry them, could you allow for us lefties please? It is very difficult find good left handed sewing scissors (sheers). Duckbill scissors would be great too.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Really nice shears, needles, and pins, maybe a really nice thread for hand sewing delicate items? I’d be interested in something nice that I can’t get at JoAnn — not a consumable staple but something upgraded.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Here you are, with baby fingers for scale 🙂

Attachments:
    LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I did not know such a thing existed … and I now desperately want one!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

How does that notcher work, I wonder. But I’d use it. I hate notch cutting.

Nice glass head pins. If you’ve ever melted the plastic heads on your fabric when ironing, you quickly learn the value of glass head.

I once bought Dritz glass head pins with white heads. I was using them in a class and was told never to buy them because they were horrible. I believe she said they were “utter crap.” I was surprised because I thought them fabulous. The teacher used my pins and she too was surprised at how great they were.

I bought a second box as you know how it goes with pins. They were beyond horrible. “Utter crap!” And of course they are mixed in with the few good pins I have left.

Sharp glasshead pins, please!

And yes, fine hand needles.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Cybele, I first discivered notching tools while following Grainline Studios make a long for the Archer shirt. Here is the page she discussed the notching tool….scroll down just a bit.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Jess M..
    LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Ok the link isnt showing up for me so I aplogoze if I posst it 3048t8t7 times lol
    http://grainlinestudio.com/2013/03/25/archer-sew-along-day-1-assembling-the-pattern/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.