Oliver + S

skip the lining on swingset skirt?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    ljmonchik @ljmonchik

Looking to make a very light-weight skirt for these hot days– lazy day skirt is great but too bunchy for my skinny girl. Can I make the swingset set without the lining? Sorry to be so cautious! I’m still new to this! (I’ve made 2 swing set skirts so far)

thank you!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The lining forms the waistband for this skirt, so you would need to made some modifications in order to sew it without a lining. It could certainly be done if you’re willing to fiddle with it a bit.

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

What about using a very light fabric for the skirt and lining? I haven’t made this skirt yet, but wonder if double-gauze might be suited to it? Or one of the Anna Maria Horner voiles?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Just what I was thinking , perhaps muslin for the overskirt?

LINK
    Anonymous @

By the way – what is double gauze? I was just looking at some online and wondering what it is?

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Sahm, double gauze is basically two layers of fine gauze (with a relatively loose weave) that are sewn together using tiny little stitches. There’s a good explanation here: http://www.superbuzzy.com/?p=147.

It is WONDERFUL! So soft and drapey and a dream to sew. I have 6 yards of it here waiting for the (Australian) summer.

My favourite is by Nani Iro. If you get the opportunity to buy double gauze then do, because it is so lovely 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m just about to make S an Ice Cream Dress with some of Heather Ross’s Far Far Away double gauze. It has a strong tendency to ravel, so keep that it mind when you’re cutting and preparing to sew. But it’s very cool in the summer and has a really nice hand.

The two layers that comprise the fabric are actually woven together. Here is a post we wrote about it:

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2009/07/double-gauze.html

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I made this denim swingset skirt without a lining – the only ‘lining’ perse’ was the wide casing to enclose all the elastic pieces and tie. Using the skirt as my guide, I cut a waistband piece to accommodate.

Oliver + S Swingset Tunic & Skirt

Oliver + S Swingset Tunic & Skirt

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

April saves the day, again!!!!!

Is there any pattern she has not mastered?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Thank you for the compliment! Oliver + S is my all-time favorite pattern company; Liesl designs with details that hook me with each new pattern. I should have been a Home Economics teacher, I think, because I love sharing anything related to sewing and helping others learn, too.

(retreating to my turtle shell now) 😉

LINK
    Anonymous @

I’m definitely going to have to try some double gauze. Sounds like the perfect fabric for our hot summers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.