Oliver + S

Recommendations for Grown-Up patterns!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • LINK
    janimal @janimal

Don’t you just wish that more pattern companies had the kind of instructions we love from from Oliver and S? Especially patterns for adults?! I do so love sewing for my daughter but my personal wardrobe could use some pizzazz so I’m trying to embark on some projects for myself.

I thought it might be cool if we tried to share some patterns that are “tried and true” for adults with each other here. I try to look at patterns on patternreview.com but it can be pretty overwhelming.

I’m working on a version of the skirt on the cover of the book “Sew Serendipity” by Kay Whitt right now.

http://www.sewserendipity.com/product_info.php?products_id=145

The directions are very clear, and although I haven’t done it yet, the instructions for inserting the invisible zipper look really really easy to follow. The book has instructions for three basic garments which are then varied and embellished – a 6 panel A line skirt, a tunic/shirt that can be lengthened to a dress, and a jacket.

I also have a McCall’s very simple knit top pattern I am planning on trying for myself – I’ll be happy to share once I get to it! I’m planning a basic black version first and if I can get the fit right I would love a top for me made from the soft City Weekend knit.

Please share your “go to” patterns for grownups!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

My fav ‘me’ pattern is Make it Pefect’s versatile wrap skirt – it’s Australian but I think she has a store on Etsy that sells pdf versions of it. It is such a basic/easy skirt to make, but you can get good results from it.

Clothkits (an English company) also make ‘kits’ that are really funky and easy to make -they have a really nice A-line skirt in many different patterns/fabrics (I’m naughty – don’t know if I should confess this – I trace the ‘pattern’ before using it – the pattern is printed directly onto the fabric)

I do have a growing collection of Amy Butler & AMH patterns that are begging to be used but haven’t as yet, so I can’t really say how well they have worked!

If anyone’s got a good pattern for an A-line shift dress (bias cut) I love to know – I have a dress that I bought about 10 years ago and would like to make a similar one 🙂

LINK
    babyjoy @babyjoy

I’ve been wanting to get that “sew serendipity” book scince I saw it on “Sewing With Nany”. Am I the only one that t.vo’s that show? It looked really simple to make and there are so many variations for very diff looks.

LINK
    Anonymous @

babyjoy – I love that show too! I learn so much any time I watch it. We don’t have TV service anymore but I had the DVR set up to record them all when we did!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh Justine! Thank you so much for even typing ‘Clothkits’! I have churning my brain this week trying to remember the name!! I saw a dress kit quite a while back that I wanted to get for the Niblet, but the size wasn’t right. I thought I’d bookmarked it, but obviously didn’t. Shew! It feels so good to relieve and burden like trying to spit something off the tip of your tongue!

I saw the Sew Serendipity book at our book store a couple weekends ago and thought of picking it up. Instead, I ordered Sew What Skirts from Amazon. Haven’t made my skirt yet, but the instructions for the one I’m considering look good. Will let you know for sure upon completion. Janimal, please let us know when your skirt is complete and what you thought of the book/pattern overall! I’d love to add more ‘me’ patterns to my stash!

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I am *almost* finished with my Sew Serendipity skirt! I need to sew the bottom ruffle and without a ruffle foot I procrastinated on it. (I know silly) It really was pretty simple to put together and the instructions are great.

If I say so myself my skirt looks good! Although, I am not in love with the fabrics I chose. I used some from my stash that I had purchased to make a dress for my little girl. They’re definitely more her style than mine. And I used just 3 coordinating fabrics instead of the 5 from the cover. My next go around I’ll have the confidence to use some fabrics I really do love.

Now off to explore Clothkits!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ve already made two versions of the Mariposa nursing tunic in Anna Maria Horner’s new book. I’ve already purchased some Liberty fabric for another for the spring when I expect I’ll be out and about quite a lot chasing boys with the baby in tow. It works up very well and I’ve so far found her projects reliable.

Otherwise, I really do take what I’ve learned from Oliver + S sewing and apply them to Simplicty patterns.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

hehehe – I’ve added the Sew Serendipity book to my wishlist! It looks great – I’ve had the Emmaline skirt pattern (and fabric ready to use!) for about 18 months but haven’t got there yet!

Sandi & babyjoy – that show sounds cool! Don’t have it here 🙁

Mel – am glad I mentioned Clothkits! I really love them (have you seen the pile I’ve got waiting in my flickr photostream?? lol!) – the little girls’ pinny is my fav (I’ve made 5 for Lucy – the original + 4 more!) Which dress are you thinking of for the Niblet? (btw – they also stock other cool stuff like Liberty bias and often have lovely PLAIN cord – make sure you sign up for their newsletters because they often have discounts)

Meleliza – thanks for the review of the nursing tunic – I’ve been intending to make it for my sister in law (not me!) – will go and check fabric requirements for it right now! It will make a great xmas present for her 🙂

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

The red/black birdie dress and skirt I love and there’s a matching adult skirt too! But I remember falling in love with the Loganberry Sunflower shift. But looking back I really like that Customizable Dress too. You could doll that up in so many color/trim combos!! Thanks for the link. I love that deep red color! I think I might have found something similar at a shop just shy of an hour from my house. We were considering a short trip this weekend anyway, so hopefully I can swing by for a peek. I think an all red Playdate would make a nice Christmas dress. Perhaps an applique like the one in the flickr pool too??

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Name dropping!!! I know the designer for Clothkits. She’s called Jane Foster and she has a blog if you google it. She’s a really lovely and talented lady. I used to teach with her and we both left to have babies and to revert to our creative pasts. She’s doing really well. I’m in awe and hoping to catch up! Just got a bit busy with my twins!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

What is it that you’re wanting to make for yourselves? I’d love to hear. Anything in particular on your dream list?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

For me , it has to be well cut tops and bottoms, not too short skirts and neat wrap tops are my thing.

LINK
    babyjoy @babyjoy

Skirts… easy to cut, easy to sew, easy to wear.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I can never seem to find shoes that work with skirts but are comfortable enough for me to wear on a daily basis. I’d love a pattern for corduroy or lined light wool pants that don’t have the super-low rise that seems to be in style at the moment. Doesn’t have to be super high, either, I’m just a big fan of not sharing my underwear with the world. Could they be higher in the back, maybe? I have a one-year-old, I pick up a lot of stuff from the floor.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Leisl – I’m a sucker for skirts – when Rosie was a newborn, skirts were hard to come by at the shops and I was breastfeeding so dresses were not an option – still love skirts!!!!

Mel, the all red playdate is exactly what I was thinking!! I’ve got some gorgeous red linen which I have been thinking of using for it!

Lucky you, Robyn! I love clothkits! I shall check out her blog…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.