Oliver + S

Recommendations for Grown-Up patterns!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy
    LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Oh, me too Robyn! It’s gorgeous! The DIY Couture ‘patterns’ look interesting too – let us know how the cloak works out

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That’s really lovely!

LINK
    sewingmummy @sewingmummy

Hi, I love Colette Patterns and DIY Couture too, and I noticed that someone else on this thread mentioned Hot Patterns… http://www.sewbox.co.uk stocks all three brands (as well as Modkid – but not Oliver & S, boo!). I haven’t tried Hot Patterns myself but they don’t look for the faint hearted – Colette Patterns on the other hand are completely brilliant, the instructions are very clear. I made the Sencha Blouse and love it. I would love to see Oliver & S for adults, with basic patterns for a basic skirt, basic trousers, etc that could then be adapted in to different styles.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I really like that Tova dress/top. Only found the pattern listed on one website and $35 is a bit out of my price range!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You can get a different Wiksten pattern for a little cheaper here: http://www.dobbinmewsholidayshop.bigcartel.com/

Otherwise, if you feel up to braving instructions written in Japanese, the Tova top reminds of the general style of a lot of Japanese sewing books (the ones I have include full patterns, but without seam allowances, and the illustrations are pretty good, you can mostly muddle along). This isn’t my blog, but there are some examples here: http://makesomething.ca/2009/07/10/happy-homemade-vol-1/

LINK
    Anonymous @

Sarvi

I would love to venture into the Japanese sewing books but am so afraid! I love the designs though. I have heard (aside from the fear of not having instructions in English) that the sizing is very different and very small. I’m not large at all, but wonder if they would fit correctly. I recently stepped out of my comfort zone and made something from Ottobre and it came out less than desirable. Let’s just say that the pants are definitely wearable, but definitely play cords for my son. I think the lack of seam allowances kind of threw me – that combined with the fact that I am new to my serger and haven’t fully figured out the seam allowances on it. 🙂 Oh, and are the Japanese better than Ottobre in the illustrations? I found so few illustrations with minimal instructions a little more difficult. On another note, my family is scheduled to move to Japan in about two years (my husband is in the service) so maybe I can pick up enough of the language to make my way through a pattern! For now, do you have any tips for foreign patters – I’d love to hear anything you recommend!

Laura

LINK
    janimal @janimal

whitfieldsx5 – you had said you wanted a skirt pattern with a knit yoga style waistband – the cover skirt from the book Sew Liberated is like that. I just got the book and the instructions look good. I didn’t try it, but I did follow one of the other patterns in the book and like how it turned out. Check it out.

I also just got the Built By Wendy Dresses book. It has 3 basic patterns and how to alter them for your personal measurements and into a bunch of different styles. It’s a bit intimidating but I really want a solid “go to” pattern for myself that fits in the right places.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

The Japanese sewing books I have seem to me to have clearer and more illustrations. I have a few Ottobre magazines but haven’t attempted anything from them yet, specifically because of the sparse instructions. I can post a photo of the illustrations with my notes to myself on what I think they say, but these are just my best detective work, not guaranteed! You can figure out a few characters (height, waist, etc.) from the illustrations, but you’ll most be relying on existing knowledge about how to put things together. I need to get back to work for now but will post photos later. What a great assignment, moving to Japan, if you love to sew! It’s a real craft heaven. Hope your family all stay safe and have a good experience!

(Incidentally, O+S are really the only patterns I know well, and I have gotten used to the level of hand-holding they provide — to the point that when I got stuck with other patterns, I dug through my O+S stack for similar techniques, even from things like the School Days which I haven’t made yet. No joke, these patterns have really been a sewing class for me.)

LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

I have a Japanese pattern book for adults. I haven’t tried anything yet, but I encourage you to find one that lists the finished measurements for the garments. Mine does, and the clothing is very oversized. Size SM on the size chart is for a 32.5″ bust, but the finished bust measurement for many of the tops is 40 to 42″. I don’t read Japanese, but you can figure this out by looking closely. The lengths are intended for 5’4″ in height.

After I make something, I’ll post about it.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Janimal, thanks for the recommendation on the the Sew Liberated book. I have contemplated purchasing that book and didn’t even think about the skirt on the cover! Can you tell me if the pattern is primarily for a stretch fabric (cotton/lycra)? Or can you use cotton for the skirt portion and just a cotton/lycra blend on the waist? I have two skirts I purchased from Linnea Design on Hyenacart that are cotton with a yoga waist and I adore them! I tried to use the skirt as a “pattern” and make myself another one and it just did not come out right. A friend borrowed my skirts and tried to do the same and it didn’t turn out right for her either. I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying the book – I might just have to add that to my Christmas wishlist! Thanks again!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Sarvi and sewinginthecity thank you so much for your thoughts on the Japanese pattern books. I would love to read posts about it when you have finished something sewinginthecity and Sarvi if you feel like posting a picture about the illustrations, that would be great. No rush though….I’ve got enough on my plate right now before I delve into another project! And I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who is intimidated by the lack of instructions on Ottobre. I have only made a few O + S things, but I am LOVING the detail of the patterns! It makes a world of difference! Oh, and it’s nice to hear that the Japanese patterns are intended for those 5’4″ – that’s how tall I am 🙂 Oh, and I am excited about the “craftiness” of Japan (and some of the fabrics!), but I am REALLY nervous about this move!

Thanks again!

Laura

LINK
    janimal @janimal

whitfieldsx5 – the Sew Liberated skirt says it’s for a stretch fabric all over. I’m not sure it would work with a cotton.

LINK
    cherry @cherry

I absolutely adore the aesthetic in the japanese sewing books, but as a plus size person who is also tall, they are just not made for people like me. I have made some kids clothes from japanese pattern books, which are gorgeous, but I didn’t really know what I was doing. Now I have learnt a few more techniques through O&S patterns I should really go back to them and try again- I reckon they’ll be much easier these days.

I found a free pattern today which makes a cute top. Here’s the blog entry about is: http://tessuti.blogspot.com/2010/10/myourheryour-fave-top.html

And here is a link to the pattern: http://www.box.net/shared/hapvbqkdfb

I made one for myself today (had to make it a bigger size), but not being petite it wasn’t great for me. I reckon someone smaller would look great in it without it looking maternity-esque.

LINK
    janimal @janimal

Cherry, Thanks for sharing that link. I immediately thought it would look maternity-esque on me – but perhaps that will come in handy for me this year! (Fingers crossed)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.