Oliver + S

packaging: your thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey everyone.

We’re making some decisions about pattern packaging this week, and I’d love your feedback.

For a while now we’ve been wanting to find a simpler, sturdy pattern envelope. I’ve been hoping for packages that can withstand lots of handling: shipping to our distributors, display and handling in stores, opening and closing the envelope, etc. We’ve been working with our suppliers and have found a really elegant solution that would also include a hole so it could hang in a store, which many shops have requested. The envelope would be made of a heavy and durable cardstock, so you could still cut out and use the paper dolls but wouldn’t have a separate envelope once the paper dolls are cut.

So my question to you is: how important to you is the separate cardstock band with the paper dolls? If we keep it and stay with our existing packaging, our prices may need to increase next year–for the first time since I launched Oliver + S. If we change it we may be able to put off increasing pricing, but you’ll lose the ability to keep the envelope and cut up just the cardstock paper dolls.

Thoughts? I’d love to hear what your opinions.

LINK
    Anonymous @

In my opinion, I do not need to be able to cut out the doll on the cardstock. In fact, I originally just thought it was part of the packaging and didn’t realize it was intended to be cut out (which is an adorable idea, by the way!). I certainly can’t speak for others, but to me, I would rather have new packaging and no price increase than a price increase with the current packaging. πŸ™‚

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Me too. I really like the design on the main packaging. I generally lose the sleeve!!!! I think the appeal is mostly in seeing the design of the doll and not actually making it, for me anyway. Is that a bit miserable of me?

I’d be happy to keep the pattern and instructions in a manilla envelope if my little girl ever wanted to cut out the dolls.

Good luck!

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Oh and what about one-off dolls on cardstock every now and then – like you did with the spool-dog?

LINK
    Aviatrix51 @Aviatrix51

I’m in the monority, in that I like the separate dolls on the cardstock, but I realize the needs of the business and pricing factors are far more important in this instance. (If you were changing the pattern weight paper, that’d be different.) A one-off set of cardstock dolls or the ability to purchase sets of the paperdolls with proof of pattern purchase would be very nice tho. (It’d be more work for Liesl and Co. which might not be good.)

Kate

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I wouldn’t mind eliminating the sleeve for a more durable outer envelope. My inner envelopes are getting a bit tattered, especially for my frequently used patterns.

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

From a marketing standpoint, I like the separate sleeve because it provides a ‘unique touch.’ But I’d rather see the design changed to keep the cost down. Personally, I’d buy the pattern if the price went up slightly since I’m an O+S junkie but others may not. LOL

One thing about the band is that it keeps the envelope together. I often make multiple size and views for each pattern on pattern ease and fold them up and stuff them in the envelope which puts a ton of strain on the paper envelope. The sides are all torn at the top to the band. If the new design is sturdier, it would be helpful. πŸ™‚

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve never been able to bring myself to cut out the paper dolls, they’re too pretty. I’d like a sturdier envelope, mine are pretty frayed at the corners, even with relatively light use.

LINK
    icicle @icicle

I vote for a sturdier single envelope too. The way I store my traced patterns means I really only use the O+S packaging to store the original pattern and instruction sheet. Honestly, while the dolls are cute, the extra sleeve makes them bulky and a bit fiddly to keep in good nick. (I’ve never cut mine out either and likely never will)…

LINK
    shasta @shasta

I’ve never been able to bring myself to cut the paper dolls from the envelope sleeve — they are too darling! Liesl, I completely trust your judgement on this and I know whatever you put together is going to be lovely.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I think my daughter would be crushed if I told her I could no longer cut the paper doll because it held the pattern. That is something she looks forward to every time I sew a new pattern – I always stop and cut her the paper doll to play with.

I know, I’m in the minority and much more of a traditionalist, but would including a cardstock enclosure be a happy medium? The paper dolls do set you apart in the initial marketing with the pattern designs and instructions following as the pinnacle prize.

Keep us posted – I know I’ll need plenty of time to psych myself up for the change. teehehee πŸ˜‰

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh no , you must keep the paper dolls! My girls would be devastated if you discontinued those!

LINK
    Alewivesgirl @Alewivesgirl

I finally registered to the forums just so I could weigh in on this!

From a retailer standpoint, I really appreciate that Liesl+Co provides lots of extras and freebies for us that I know must not be cheap: the plastic bags (upon request), the gorgeous handouts (which could certainly be used as paper dolls)and the spool doggies. I think that if retailers make these last two items available to their customers (we often include them as free gifts/propaganda to customers who purchase Oliver+S patterns), then the people who REALLY want the paper dolls will still be able to get them.

Additionally, if our customers wanted to, they could still use the new, sturdier paper envelope as a paper doll, and they could keep their pattern (sans fancy envelope) in the plastic bag.

I say anything that keeps the cost of the patterns from going up to me would be priority #1.

Thanks for asking our opinions!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I do like the current packaging!!!! Must admit though – have never cut out the dolls. I keep my original patterns and instructions in the original packaging – only take them out for drafted and when I’m sewing/need the instructions. I guess if the new packaging is the same size it wouldn’t be so bad if they were to change….

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

I’d prefer a heavier cardstock envelope without the band. I’m mostly concerned about protecting the contents when I buy from online vendors who don’t add shipping protection.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.