Oliver + S

News and Current Affairs

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,804 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Ladies, I’m baaaaack. Had a great time on holiday; lots of gallery walking, lots of public transport, lots of seeing people. It’s always such a lot of work to get away – don’t know how people with kids ever manage it! – but when you come home, you realise that the break is definitely worth the effort. It was lovely to have no housework or house responsibilities for 10 days (other than helping my hosts, of course) and feeling free to do anything I wanted.

Went to a few of my favourite fabric haunts but rather disappointed that not much discounted/on sale. However, I did manage to find a few special items which I’ve just posted onto Flickr. I also finished the skirts and a little dress I took with me. Great to have the recipients to measure for elastic etc. Weather was great apart from a couple of very hot days, but as I was enjoying the air con/exhibitions in a gallery, it didn’t matter.

Stumbled across a sale for haberdashery, and bought quite a bit of ric-rac in various colours. I love this stuff. So much cheaper than ribbon, easy to attach, and washing machine durable. Especially pleased to find pinwale corduroy – a wonderful bright blue, and a vibrant orange. Both will get used for Book Report dresses for the coming autumn/winter in Australia. Snap to Mama Knowles; found a remnant of the same bicycle fabric you used for PC’s shirt, and was really chuffed to find two good pieces of light canvas weight fabric with elephants on them. Will be great for all sorts of outfits. Been keeping up with the forum but not able to comment while away. Back now, and sewing again after lots of washing, ironing etc etc. Ah well, that’s what makes holidays special – not your everyday life.

Seriously, for those ladies affected by the terrible weather in up north of Oz, am thinking of you. Just terrible, and tornadoes too.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Whoa! Haven’t watched the news yet today although went to watch something and then there was nothing but news reports of the flooding – love watching the people signing and wondering if they are actually translating the words properly – of course they are!

Glad you found some fabric treasures. I love corduroy and the colours sound amazing. Glad you had a great time.

Needle woman that is the one thing I really don’t like about holidays. The getting home and having to do all the washing and unpacking!

My fil is currently travelling and he rang last night to “check up on us” – he is waiting for the “we can’t cope with out you” signal I think. Anyway, he is travelling home again either today or tomorrow and will be stopping at Mt Gambia to visit relatives and friends. We don’t expect him home until mid Feb.

I would love to take a trip across the Nullabor with the kids. But not t this time of the year! We drove over when I was 16 and spent Easter with family at Murray Bridge and then drove home again. It was great fun. But I was cramped because our car was tiny! That was the trip I had my first encounter with a koala. It climbed up on me when we were at a wildlife park. They trained them to go around the wall when the keeper talk was on and all these (British) tourists were blocking his way so he thought he would climb on me to get away from them. I’ve been in love with koalas ever since!

Just a note for our overseas friends and bit of Aussie trivia! Western Australia is one state where Koalas are not found in the wild. The reason? We have the wrong Eucalyptus trees! We have Echidnas though! They are the cutest things!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So glad you had a nice holiday, Fiona! It is good to get away, for all the work. Last summer we managed three days down the shore (that’s Philly speak for to the beach) and even though it required two days worth of cooking and packing, and even though vacation with three kids isn’t exactly a break from housework and stuff, it was still nice to get away.

I don’t usually mind the winter here and were not even having a harsh one, but for some reason this year. I can’t stop daydreaming about a long weekend somewhere warm! I wonder whether a flight to a nice resort in Florida with three little ones would be worth the hassle?

Sarvi feel free to delete my comments if too explicit for our sensitive ears! ๐Ÿ™‚ i think the Brits only get away with the foul mouths because of that accent. the Irish too, they’re dreamy. I was shocked when I met hubby 15 years ago, but then quickly adopted his ways. The way he said “little” and “darling” made me weak in the knees! What a shame he’s lost it after 11 years here in the States. ๐Ÿ™

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

The echidnas are very cute! We saw one on the weekend when we visited one of our National Parks!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

We have them on the farm but they are mostly seen on the road. Murray’s uncle has one that he found dead and took it to a taxidermist and now has it on display. Such a beautiful animal.

I noticed the newest baby at the Melbourne zoo is another little cutie pie! Lucky them to have a successful elephant breeding program.

Meleliza, I totally agree! Irish accents equals dreamy! I love how accents slightly differ in different parts of the same country!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I would love to visit Australia. I bet our accents are so different, if this forum was heard rather than read, it would be a totally different experience.

I never thought of the b word as begger with a u. I didn’t know that that word was so bad that it had to be edited. I sort of knew the meaning, though. It is weird with some expletives that the connotation of the word is what makes it offensive, not the meaning. Like in the US it might be OK to say, “Screw you.” but “F you” is not acceptable at all- even though they mean the same thing.

I have definitely cleaned up my language as I have gotten older. The thing that has made me change is my children. I was pretty loose with expletives when raising my oldest daughter and when I heard her use similar language as an adult, I didn’t find it flattering. So now with my youngest, I try to watch it.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I chose to edit it as I was a member of a forum where I said something not thinking it was against the rules and got two very nasty emails from the moderator who threatened to sue!! I left in disgust over the handling of the whole issue. So therefore I bleeped my own word because I love communicating with the wonderful people on here and want to be allowed to stay!!

I’m normally very clean in my language use – very very strict upbringing! So anything remotely expletive is very rarely said, out loud anyway. My kids have picked things up from other children and have used such language at home. To which they have been sat down and asked if they knew what the word meant. We have been known to look it up for the meaning and then discuss whether or not that word was really appropriate to use in that context. It is a different way to help them to realise that if they don’t know the meaning of the word, then they just can’t pull it out of the air and say it to anyone because words of that degree are offensive and hurt. It works a lot of the time.

It is a habit that if worked on I believe can be broken but I am no angel – have to stress that – I have been known to have a loose tongue.

I too find it interesting how the language and meanings of words differs slightly depending on the country you are in. I guess that is why we have to be careful what we say online just so that we don’t offend and have the potential for international legal action.

I’m really hoping those of use who are in Queensland and northern NSW are ok!! My heart is breaking at the news! It is a “not again!” scenario isn’t it?!

Hope the new school year started in fine fashion too! Some states don’t resume until next week but for those who have gone back, hope you had a fab start to the academic year.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Justsewit….

for many of us in the US, that word has a completely different meaning, and very innocuous. So when Americans hear it, they think of our meaning. As a verb it means to bungle or mess up. As a noun, it is a person who bungles or messes up, or it is an annoying person, as an extension of the word, bug, as in insect. Also, sometimes people call little children “booger” as in the nasty things in a child’s nose (again when they are being annoying). But with regional pronunciations… that easily becomes your word.

So we Americans are fine! ๐Ÿ™‚ Even though we all do try to keep it clean for the more sensitive among us, as is polite!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I prefer a light hand with moderation so I will tend not to edit for style or taste. I’m sure our language might veer toward the spicy over a pint, but a forum associated with childrens’ sewing patterns seemed like a good place to try out some more oblique phrasing. Just my tuppence!

My cousin in Australia sent a photo of a bone dry dam on her property that had turned into a huge bog overnight. Shocking. I hope everyone is safe, and the rain moves quickly on to places where it is more needed.

LINK
    homefire @homefire

We’re getting a lot of rain here in my neck of the woods (or corn fields) too. January and Febuary are supposed to be all about sledding and hot cocoa but instead we trying not to sink in the mud holes!

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

Hello, may I join in? I have been away for a year. I was very sad and couldn’t sew. Thanks to God and loving friends + family and learning about patience, I got through it. A whole year! I am much better. My energy and excitement for sewing has returned. Although slowly, I am getting back to my sewing. Also setting up a new version of my etsy shop and writing a new blog!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Of course you may join in Nancy!

(And if you are my Nancy B,you are doubly welcome)

xx N

LINK
    Jane @jesims

We don’t get much weather related news from other countries here in the US, so I do hope all of my Aussie friends are staying safe and dry. Weather is so unpredictable and scary at times.

Big news at our house, I enrolled Piper in preschool for the fall! We visited her new school today. She got to feed the class fish and while I was being shown around she played with the kiddos. I came back and she was sitting on the floor with another girl playing doll house. She didn’t want to leave. Both sad and sweet at the same time.

Now, I’ve got to start planning a pre-school wardrobe. Of course she’ll need a back pack and probably an art smock. I’m thinking a couple badminton skorts and maybe a hopscotch dress or two because they are easy to play in ( I got some Riley Blake Sweetest Thing interlock already for the hopscotch dresses). What else might a pre-schooler need in her wardrobe?

Jane

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Cybele, yes that is the meaning I understand it to be – after all snakes are annoying!

Hello Nancy, come join in! Glad you are feeling more upbeat. Not fun to be sad! Hopefully we can help keep the cheer? What do plan to sew first? All these exciting plans you have.

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

Yes, I am Nancy B.

O, Nicole you are so sweet to remember!

I do believe spending time with you all at the Oliver and S community will definitely help keep the cheer!

My best friend dropped by today and bought 3 items from my original collection: an Ice Cream dress, a Family Reunion dress, and Sunday Brunch jacket. Where do we put piccies (photos) if we are allowed?

I plan to sew another Family Reunion dress next!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,804 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.